What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

humantorch101

Re: What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

I'd like to see an expansion of Galactic Champions. If one isn't in the works, how about an insert in a "Worlds of the Terran Empire"? Star Hero or Terran Empire mentioned a psionic Champions team which sounds pretty fertile for expansion.

I'd also vote for more CLOWNs! The token adventure would be CLOWN vs Black Harliquin with CLOWN showing BH and the heroes that it's not nice to kill.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Votes so far

Adding up everyones votes here are the ideas with more than one vote so far.

1. Ultimate Superteam, Iron Age Champions (4 votes).

2. Mutant Champions, Goverment Superteams, Secret Life Book (3 votes).

3. Strike Force Book, Villany Amok 2, UK Book, Adventures, Superhero Book, Clown Book, Alien Book, Ultimate Supervillain (2 votes).

Keep the ideas and votes flowing.

rgds

Torch

If we actually collecting votes, I have to remark that in addition to Iron Age Champions, Ultimate Energy Projector, Ultimate Cosmic (or, if you prefer, anything Galactic Champions in a pinch would suffice), Mutant Champions, Villainy Amok II, I would also love and eagerly buy Ultimate Superteam, Blasters, Brick and Bureaucrats - the Goverment Superteams Guide, Anime Champions, Secret Life book, Ultimate Disadvantage, updated PRIMUS, Ultimate Powered Armor, Ultimate Android, plus any book detailing some more high-powered villains (and more importantly, heroes) for the CU. Also Ultimate Supervillain.

So now, its:

1. Ultimate Superteam (5 votes)

2. Iron Age Champions, Government Superteams, Secret Life Book (4 votes).

3. Mutant Champions, Ultimate Supervillain, Paladins, Paragons and Powerhouses (3 votes).

4. Anime Champions, Strike Force Book, Villany Amok 2, UK Book, Adventures, Clown Book, Alien Book, Ultimate Disadvantage, Galactic Champions II, PRIMUS 5th Ed., Ultimate Powered Armor, Masters of Evil. (2 votes).

If a reasonable amount of options solidify, we might even run a poll. otherwise, it would be nice if people adding their preference to an existing option would update the count.

Let's see ... books that I'd like to see for Champions ...

• Champions: The Secret Crisis: Basically a mega-adventure that made the continuity that we're in now. The book would be about the size of CKC, but it'd start with a big adventure and then have a huge resource of older characters that aren't being used anymore. In that book, there'd be faces like the 4e Champions, Clown, Deathstroke, Geodesics, etc.

• The Ultimate Superteam: A good book on team tactics, builds on training room goodies, maybe a huge list of team maneuvers, etc.

• The Ultimate Base: A good resource for various superhero and supervillain bases, including stats, maps and history. It could even have generic samples like "Evil Genius' Volcanic Base" or "Heroic Skyscraper Base"

• Millenium City - Revised & Expanded: When I snagged MC, I was hoping for something closer to Freedom City. I'd love to see this book go back into development and tweaked here and there. What would I change? Many of the maps, I'd expand a lot of the info and perhaps change some of the characters (just never felt they were that dynamic).

• Freedom City Hero: Count me in as another who'd like to see this. But I think I'd rather see it as a GR made product with Hero stats in it :D

• Strikeforce 2e: I'd buy it in a second! Love the first book and I'm sure I'd love a new, expanded version of it :D

• Enemies Recharged: This would be a new enemies book akin to CKC, but would only include updates of several villains that appeared in 1e-4e with notes on how to tie them into Champions 5e. These stats would be expanded into 5e with more details :)

Wow! Some great ideas there Sketchpad! Here's my thoughts:

1: Champions: The Secret Crisis: I have long said that what the CU needs is more comic-booky aspects; things that take away from the crunch of the game and are just fun. I'm personally tired of seeing new books that only add rules to the game. Hero has enough rules, now it's time for fun. That could be a great product that deals with time travel and a lot of aspects of the CU. Here's your chance to introduce silver age characters and have your players interact with them. This could be a great, fun product. I know DOJ's approach is to create Silver Age Champions first and bla bla bla, but I'm honestly tired of that business plan. I just want some fun gaming material to use.

2: Millenium City - Revised & Expanded: Definitely. Darren's writing has improved a great deal between now and when MC was written. The book needs the same treatment Steve's Hudson City got. It needs to be a real place with a real comic feel. There is so much that could be done with MC that wasn't even touched upon. The book needs a redo-expansion to make it more comic-booky [that is my new word for today :)] and less real.

3: Freedom City Hero: I'd much rather see DOJ publish Champions Universe: M&M. M&M has a huge market and one that should be exploited. CU:M&M would bring dollars to DOJ which they can then use for additional Hero material.

4: Strike Force: I guess I'm one of the few people who doesn't want to see this. SF is one of the best Champions books ever written but if money is going to be spent on something like that I'd much rather see it spent on giving us CU heroes [a Sentinels book full of every character write up in the history of the team, as well as a detailed background/history, and every major villain of the team and team members. That would be very comic-booky].

5: Enemies Recharged: This could be interesting. 100 villains who didn't make the cut into the 5E continuity. You could even get the original authors to update/redo them. I bet a lot of those authors would do it for nothing more than comp copies of the book.

6: Ultimate books: I'm not wanting more Ultimate books because, quite honestly, I'm tired of having new rules to learn. So I'd take a pass on the ultimate examples you listed here.

From what I've seen, Ultimate Supervillain and Kingdom of Champions both sound like cool ideas. The former might be better if it ran more on fluff than crunch. If nothing else, it could answer questions like, 'how do supervillains with Secret ID's try to deal with the mundane world'? It's kinda hard on the old identity if you flash-fry that annoying principal at Parent-Teacher night.

I'll be thrilled when Champs Worldwide comes out.

In the area of 'love to see it but it'll never happen', Extinctioners HERO would truly rock.

I like the Champions: The Secret Crisis idea, but think a better title would be Champions: The Ultimate Crisis.

IMOHO

QM

P.S.: I do not see The Ultimate Series as new sets of rules to learn as simply a new set of options and as a Resource for new characters.

Let's see ... books that I'd like to see for Champions ...

• The Ultimate Superteam: A good book on team tactics, builds on training room goodies, maybe a huge list of team maneuvers, etc.

• The Ultimate Base: A good resource for various superhero and supervillain bases, including stats, maps and history. It could even have generic samples like "Evil Genius' Volcanic Base" or "Heroic Skyscraper Base"

It seems to me that these two books (both great ideas) might be effectively condensed into one, since many elements (e.g. Training equipment, danger rooms) are common to both, and a large part of what concerns a typical superteam is care and development of its superbase.

It seems to me that these two books (both great ideas) might be effectively condensed into one' date=' since many elements (e.g. Training equipment, danger rooms) are common to both, and a large part of what concerns a typical superteam is care and development of its superbase.[/quote']

However I'm not sure that such a book would provide the focus on villain bases, which in my mind, are far more important than the team's base.

Guest George Kirby

Another great idea, this would also feed into the Ultimate Disadvantage another book I would love to see.

Steve Long cutting a check to Worldmaker for work already accomplished and publishing the Master List of Limitations as an official Hero product would be a good start to a book like this.

Steve Long cutting a check to Worldmaker for work already accomplished and publishing the Master List of Limitations as an official Hero product would be a good start to a book like this.

Yeah, except for the fact that I don't believe most of them were actually written by Jack. I know I contributed some when I played in the GG world long ago. I'm sure most of the other players did as well; not to mention all the boards people.

In no particular order, here's what I would like to see (of course, I'm not sure anyone else would :)):

1. The Ultimate Team -- as an ultimate book, it should focus on team-building in all genres. Perhaps it would give a number of ways that teams could be looked at. From command roles to power (or archetype) roles to psychological roles, these could be combined in various ways to make a variety of teams. For example, the leader could be the strong silent brick or he could be the flashy publicity-hungry blaster or perhaps the driven determined weapon master. It could also discuss the impact that these different types of personalities and archetypes in roles would have on campaign play. For instance a campaign with a Picard-like leader who discusses the options with the rest of the team before he makes his decisions has a very different dynamic than one with a Kirk-like leader who makes a decision and drags the team along with it. Such a book could discuss different types of teams and their effects on the campaign dynamic. For example, a team where everyone gets along is very different than one where there are obvious conflicts. For example, moral dilemmas are more fun (to me anyway) when characters are likely to be split on what should be done. It could also discuss what might be appropriate communication techniques for a team in different genres and a high level view of bases. The book could also discuss villain teams in that many of the same rules apply to them. This would include Masterminds with henchmen. And one that I just thought of, appropriate support NPCs for teams. In many ways, the construction of the player character team determines the adventures that are appropriate for that team and as such, it is worthy of a book-length discussion.

2. The Ultimate Base

This would not only discuss how to build different aspects of bases using the Hero rules, but also how base construction reflects the group using the base. Again, as an ultimate book, it should cover all genres. It should also cover things like corporate HQs for those wealthy PCs who run corporations.

3. The Ultimate Organization

You can tell that I like Ulitmate books, can't you. This is actually a book idea that Steve Long mentioned to me one time. It would include thinks like tracking resources for an organization and how determine the effect that different actions could have on those resources. Ideally, it would be written in such a way that it could be applied to PC-owned corporations, PC-run countries (or smaller political units) in fantasy games, villainous organizations, hero teams that have agents and such, government agencies, and others.

4. Champions of the North

A look at Canada and Canadian supers in the Champions universe with an emphasis on what makes Canada and Canadian supers different than the U.S. and their supers. I think I'd like to see it have a different title but I can't think of one right now. If Canada is simply going to be treated as America Jr., there is little point to bothering to go there.

5. The Champions Universe Media Sourcebook

Okay. This needs a better name. Essentially this would outline a number of specific media outlets in the Champions Universe and how they interact with the superpowered community. This could include a cable news network, a cable channel dedicated to superheroes, a newspaper with a columnist ranting against heroes, a WWE-like organization that stages superpowered fighting contests with staged storylines like those of professional wrestling, and so on. This would include write-ups and major NPCs for each and appropriate plot threads. It could also include a discussion of things like books and TV shows that have superhero themes. Finally, it could things like reporter packages and such for those PCs who want to play media characters.

That's it for now -- might have more ideas later.

I remember a few years back, I was thinking about some team sourcebooks. These would be comic book sized sourcebooks that featured:

• The team focused on in their starting to "current" formations.

• Equipment used by the team, including base (with map), vehicles, standard gadgets, computers, etc.

• NPCs in shorthand stats, including DNPCs, base staff & contacts

• Major villains that are the team's main nemesises

• History/timeline

• Plot hooks with maybe a full length adventure included

Have a good homage cover drawn up by a comic book artist with interiors by fan-favorites in the gaming industry ...

3. MUTANT CHAMPIONS - We have had galactic and Teen I would love to see a mutant sourcebook bringing back those fuzzy warm memories of the Claremont/Byrne era on X-Men.

As opposed to a book on its own, I'd like to see this incorporated into something like THE ULTIMATE CAMPAIGN, covering various themed campaigns, what to incorporate and how to run them. Things like:

*Persecuted HERO - Marvel mutant campaigns, others where the PC's are part of a group that is feared and hated - could be mutants, could be werewolves, psionics, a particular alien race in a STAR HERO campaign, etc.

*Time-travel HERO - how to keep those paradoxes straight, ideas for how to have a time-travel heavy campaign using various genres.

etc.

You know I'd love to see Anime Champions, but it would have to be a very boradly-written book to cover everything from DBZ-level world-shattering battles to magical girls (not just Sailor Moon-style warriors botu also magical thieves like Kaitou Jeanne and transofrming idol singers like Fancy Lala), traditional sentai five-teams, modern-day mecha, Bubblegum Crisis-style power "rock-and-roll babes in power armor", and demon-fighting shrine maidens and ghost sweepers. The difficult thing will eb crossing it over to the mainstream Champions Universe, although Cantrip and a Japanese majokko joining forces would be quite amusing.

Strike Force is otu of the question, but a book built around the same premise (follow a superteam that has had a profound impact on the CU from inception to the present) would be quite cool.

The Martial World might be a neat little book, showcasing the CU's martial artists the way The Mystic World showcased its mages.

It would be nice to have the little things of being a superhero discussed in a book, such as how a superteam handles the media and the cops, how a superhero does detective work, and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is my list.

The Martial World: Exactly what we need, a sourse book about the world of the martial artest in the Champions Universe. Also info on The Watchers Of The Dragon tourniment, amoung other things.

Champions Of The Rising Sun: It's Japan, in a book, through a superhero filter. The focus should be on Tokyo, but there should be something on Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Mt. Fugi, ect. Focus should also be on the moder age, with a small look at World War 2 Japanies 'heros', and heros from the Meji Restration. Plus history, economics, entertaiment, school, ect.

Bloody Fists And Exploding Heads: A martial arts enimies book for Champions. Nuff Said.

Space Outlaws: A alien and outer space enimies book for Champions. Again, Nuff Said.

Hero Multiverse In 3-D!: An oficial look (and rules) for vareous dimentions in the Hero Universe. Covers time travel and Null Time, Hevens, Hells, Afterlife Dimentions, Prison Dimentions, Microverses, Macroverses, Alternitive Earths, and other goodness.

An Untitled (As Of Yet) Enimies Book Created By Someone Other Than Official Hero Games Staff, But Still Published And Considered Official: The name says it all.

Great Adventures: A reprint of vareous great Champions adventures, updated to 5th edition, and published to coinsine with Hero Game's 25 Birthday. My vote is for The Island Of Doctor Destroyer and Day of The Destroyer.

An Untiteled Epic Adventure Agenst Doctor Destroyer: And why not? It beats An Untiteled Epic Adventure Agenst Foxbat anyday.

Enimies Recharged: I like the ideal, except it should be enimes which Hero are planing on using again. Why? Cause then, it would give Hero more of an insentive to get off there colective rear and make the book happen. You realy think thay are going to 'oficialy' publish enimies thay will never use? HA!

Argent: Science Without Restriction: The Argent orginzation book. Long live Beamline. Nuff Said.

Encylipedia Dramatica: An expantion upon the Digital Hero series You Got To Have Charater. A book full of the stats for real people out of history. Also, this would be a good place to put the stats for public domain fiction charaters like Count Dracula, The Monster Of Frankenstine, and the original superthieth Lupin.

The Best Of Digital Hero: Again, Nuff Said.

I wouldn't mind if the Almanac concept was brought back--not all of us have ideas that could fill entire books, but could fill a section of one, and many of the ideas mentioned here (the CU Media Sourcebook comes to mind) could be done as an entry in an Almanac. Plus it could cover more than one genre of adventuring, reprint some of the more popular Digital Hero articles, and generally serve the HERO gaming community that much better.

I'm with Michael Hopcroft-Anime Champions makes a better title for a game line than a book title.Some possible worldbookswould be:

Magical Girl Hero: Everything you want to know about young girls with magical powers who beat up evil monsters.

Ranma Hero: Being a Ranma 1/2 fan myself, I'd love to see an official Hero Games sourcebook about the Ranmaverse! Alas,it probably won't happen......

I'm with Michael Hopcroft-Anime Champions makes a better title for a game line than a book title.Some possible worldbookswould be:

Magical Girl Hero: Everything you want to know about young girls with magical powers who beat up evil monsters.

Ranma Hero: Being a Ranma 1/2 fan myself, I'd love to see an official Hero Games sourcebook about the Ranmaverse! Alas,it probably won't happen......

Sadly, Steve is a heretic, anime-wise. :( Doesn't like the stuff at all. Now, this doesn't mean (I think) he'd let his personal preferences get in the way of a book if he determined it would be profitable. I think it might be a bit harder than some to convince him, but he'd approve it if he were convinced

For myself, I would buy EACH ONE OF THESE BOOKS, in hardback, softback, or PDF. Wouldn't matter the format, though I'd prefer the softback to fit with the other HERO books.

For some reason, even though I don't watch that much of it, I adore shoujo anime. I'd love to see a full conversion of the Sailor Scouts, from the beginning to the end of the series - and to steal from some ideas on the boards, just write up the base form for each girl, and describe the various powerups as seperate templates. I've got more Magical Girl rpg crap on my drive than any normal person needs, and I'd love to actually convert it to the system of systems - HERO.

And if anyone wonders if I'd be in favor of a Ranma sourcebook, look at my soddin' name! I would be on that sooo fast. Shame it would never happen - just getting the rights from Takahashi-sama would be a stone drag, what with translation and so forth. But it would be so beautiful.... :weep:

Sadly' date=' Steve is a heretic, anime-wise. :( Doesn't like the stuff at all. Now, this doesn't mean (I think) he'd let his personal preferences get in the way of a book if he determined it would be profitable. I think it might be a bit harder than some to convince him, but he'd approve it if he [i']were[/i] convinced

For myself, I would buy EACH ONE OF THESE BOOKS, in hardback, softback, or PDF. Wouldn't matter the format, though I'd prefer the softback to fit with the other HERO books.

For some reason, even though I don't watch that much of it, I adore shoujo anime. I'd love to see a full conversion of the Sailor Scouts, from the beginning to the end of the series - and to steal from some ideas on the boards, just write up the base form for each girl, and describe the various powerups as seperate templates. I've got more Magical Girl rpg crap on my drive than any normal person needs, and I'd love to actually convert it to the system of systems - HERO.

And if anyone wonders if I'd be in favor of a Ranma sourcebook, look at my soddin' name! I would be on that sooo fast. Shame it would never happen - just getting the rights from Takahashi-sama would be a stone drag, what with translation and so forth. But it would be so beautiful.... :weep:

I think Steve has an idea how profitable Anime Hero would be based on the sales of the 5E Ninja Hero [and isn't Ninja Hero really Anime Hero anyway?].

Here's a few thoughts...

• RED TAPE - Exploring government/law enforcement and the superhero relationship.
  • Ultimate Superteam - I can agree with most of you here. As has already been mentioned a few times previously...this would be a welcomed addition to the Champions line-up.
  • Kingdom of Champions - I can agree with humantorch101 on this one...and I'm not even from England.
  • Champions of the North - I'm not sure that Canada needs it's own sourcebook, but it wouldn't be such a bad addition...aye?
  • Champions in the Third Dimension - A look at other dimensions in the Champions Universe.

OK, that's enough for now...