"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

One of my friends from work has an autistic son, he gets in trouble at school. Latest episode she told me about was that he is a victim of bullying because of his autism. He was holding some scissors when he stood up for himself and the classroom was cleared like a bomb scare. That was the second bit of trouble in as many days.

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

One of my friends from work has an autistic son' date=' he gets in trouble at school. Latest episode she told me about was that he is a victim of bullying because of his autism. He was holding some scissors when he stood up for himself and the classroom was cleared like a bomb scare. That was the second bit of trouble in as many days.[/quote']

Fortunately Hampton's mother is a teacher and so is his aunt, so we've avoided any school trouble. He's a super sweet kid and I'd get very wrathful were anything to happen.

Yeah, my wife has told me that there are both good and bad autistic kids, just like the rest of humanity really. Thankfully, she doesn't work in a public school, but rather a school specifically for special needs kids. So, she has tons of support and the school is super supportive of both the students and their families.

I think more (perhaps) the bad autistic kids are not getting the support and understanding they need.

This is more true than most people realize. However, there are some whose disabilities cause certain mental hardships that they just have a hard time dealing with even with the support of those around them. Usually it results in them hurting themselves, but there are times when it hurts others. However, as you point out, it is typically when they are left to their own devices for too long. That could be as short as just a few minutes.

And for your next Internet argument be sure to use this handy chart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43469[/ATTACH]

Do you have a bigger image to make it easier to read?

and i haven't finished reading them all but disagree in part with "anectodal". If it wasn't for isolated examples or personal experience things like the "invention" of stainless steel or penicillian.

From logical fallacies site:

You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.

It's often much easier for people to believe someone's testimony as opposed to understanding complex data and variation across a continuum. Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences, but our inclination is to believe that which is tangible to us, and/or the word of someone we trust over a more 'abstract' statistical reality.

There is some truth to this, yes, but I'm still inclined not to discount personal experience as well simple. Science is not the only tool we have, neither is statistics, and personal experience can be compelling evidence.

edit: eye-witness testimony in a court case.

And for your next Internet argument be sure to use this handy chart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43469[/ATTACH]

Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons. :rolleyes:

I'm sending this to the Debate teacher I work with. She will love it.

Repped, of course.

Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons. :rolleyes:

I'm sending this to the Debate teacher I work with. She will love it.

Repped, of course.

You are aware that Aristotle literally wrote the book on logic, well several in fact. :winkgrin:

(and true)

You are aware that Aristotle literally wrote the book on logic, well several in fact. :winkgrin:

(and true)

"Aristotle, using the system of logic that he invented, proved that women are inferior to men because women have fewer teeth."

And you can tell the difference between a philosophy major and a science major by how they react to this statement.

The Philosophy Major will start looking up counter arguements and supporting arguements.

The Science Major will start counting teeth.

Aristotle was wrong. Men and women have the same number of teeth. He never looked.