Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43444[/ATTACH]

35 light years.

"Half a billion miles from earth" (.5 billion)

One LY = 6 trillion miles. Times 35 = 210 trillion miles = 210,000 billion miles.

210,000 / 0.5 = Off by a factor of 420,000?

Now that's astronomical! ;)

Does that work better using British numbering? (British billion >>> American billion)

Yes and no (though that might explain the error). The British Billion was the American Trillion (1' date='000,000,000,000), but they now use the same system as America.[/quote']

This is why scientific notation is useful. And 'Avogadro's number' is easier to say than 'six hundred two billion trillion'.

And 'Avogadro's number' is easier to say than 'six hundred two billion trillion'.

Disagree, cordially.

I can pronounce six hundred two billion trillion'. I do not how how to correctly say "Avogadro". ;):)

35 light years.

"Half a billion miles from earth" (.5 billion)

One LY = 6 trillion miles. Times 35 = 210 trillion miles = 210,000 billion miles.

210,000 / 0.5 = Off by a factor of 420,000?

Now that's astronomical! ;)

Did it take them longer than 12 parsecs to make the trip?

Disagree, cordially.

I can pronounce six hundred two billion trillion'. I do not how how to correctly say "Avogadro". ;):)

It rhymes with avocado.

But you can't call 6.02x10^23 'Avocado's number', because then the unit associated with that number would be a guaca-mole.

This is my girlfriend's nephew. He is a really special kid. He's 9 years old and is non-verbal autistic. The boy is super smart, but his non-verbal cues pass for language in his house and he is sometimes left out of conversations. This weekend, I helped his other aunt (my girlfriend's younger sister) move into an apartment. She wanted a ceiling fan hung and I am pretty good at that sort of thing, so I was volunteered :)

Hampton likes wheels and circles and ceiling fans. Things that go around are one of focuses and he was very excited to see me putting up the fan. People kept coming in and asking if I needed help and Hampton finally closed to door so that he and I could work alone -- and then the most amazing thing happened. You see, I talk to Hampton like he is any other human being and when I don't get words, I ask him to repeat himself and he answers me. Well, I started assembling the fan blades and I turned around and he was putting the blades together. I encouraged him to finish and he did, without instruction, and even turned the screwdriver as tightly as he could. When it came time to attach the blades, I asked him to hand them to me and he did. And, like any young child, he got a little bored at the end and started making minimum effort to hand them to me. I took this picture with his permission and then told the family. They were floored, because, while he has some basic chores he is required to perform, he is never really engaged in work around the house and he proved to be the best assistant I've ever had.

hampton.jpg

This is my girlfriend's nephew.

I wish I could rep you, but I have to spread it around, yada yada. Anyway, my wife is a special needs teacher. My sister-in-law is as well, and she has an autistic son. Some good friends of ours have an autistic daughter. So, I'm very much aware of autism, and its many difficulties. I love hearing stories like this especially when they involve an adult treating an autistic child like any other child instead of shunning them. Thank you for this great story.

I wish I could rep you' date=' but I have to spread it around, yada yada. Anyway, my wife is a special needs teacher. My sister-in-law is as well, and she has an autistic son. Some good friends of ours have an autistic daughter. So, I'm very much aware of autism, and its many difficulties. I love hearing stories like this especially when they involve an adult treating an autistic child like any other child instead of shunning them. Thank you for this great story.[/quote']

I hate humans, but I love persons. He's just a nice little person that likes to help :)