"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Kind of like Democritus' date=' who gets credit for coming up with the concept of the atom ~2500 years ago. It took over two millennia before anyone actually came up with evidence.[/quote'] He was just ahead of his time but ~2500 years.

Einstein had it easy :D

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Good thing you explained that' date=' it's [i']much [/i]funnier now!

:winkgrin:

It's funny because Einstein could not grasp quantum mechanics; the smartest guy (reputedly) of the twentieth century. If Democritus was still alive would he too be able understand quantum mechanics?

quantum mechanics is so last century, I'm hanging out for quantum idealism.

It's funny because Einstein could not grasp quantum mechanics; the smartest guy (reputedly) of the twentieth century. If Democritus was still alive would he too be able understand quantum mechanics?

quantum mechanics is so last century, I'm hanging out for quantum idealism.

If it's explained, it's not funny. I'm not the smartest guy in this chair and I knew that.

It takes hard work to change our brains to grok quantum mechnanics. For that matter, it takes work to even get our brains to accept Newtonian mechanics; our brains are more inclined to expect Aristotilian physics.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/brain-experiments-why-we-dont-believe-science.html

It's funny because Einstein could not grasp quantum mechanics; the smartest guy (reputedly) of the twentieth century.

Not entirely accurate. He won his Nobel Prize not for Relativity (a fairly common misconception) but for the Photoelectic Effect, which has the idea of energy quantization at its heart. It's true (as far as I've heard) that he disliked the idea of Quantum Mechanics, but he didn't see any way to explain the evidence without it.

Metrosexual Optimus Prime?

Seriously though, I'd question their assumption that the big rig of the future will be a sleeper cab. I'm wagering long haul trucking will be an early adopter of Google's self driving technology.

It takes hard work to change our brains to grok quantum mechnanics. For that matter, it takes work to even get our brains to accept Newtonian mechanics; our brains are more inclined to expect Aristotilian physics.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/brain-experiments-why-we-dont-believe-science.html

How about cartoon physics?

Oh, the industry wouldn't be completely self-driving for a long time. dangerous cargoes and dangerous routes (ice road truckers) won't convert for a long while. That said, some of the earlier applications of the technology will be in long haul trucking.

Here's how I envision it: A company driver goes from some address in city A to interstate exit A. Then he pulls off the scooter (conveniently located behind the cab) and goes off to his next gig in the town. The truck drives itself to interstate exit B, where a different driver with the company arrives in his scooter and gets the truck to some address in city B, and so forth. Refueling and tire changing are the only real problems with this that I can see.

I'm not sure what advantage that would hold over a train?

There are a lot more highways than train tracks. And once they get to a location, individual drivers can complete the local transit.

Wrong there' date=' Bazza. He grasped quantum mechanics just fine -- he just had an emotional problem with its implications. Or perhaps that was just the Copenhagen Interpretation.[/quote']

Not entirely accurate. He won his Nobel Prize not for Relativity (a fairly common misconception) but for the Photoelectic Effect' date=' which has the idea of energy quantization at its heart. It's true (as far as I've heard) that he disliked the idea of Quantum Mechanics, but he didn't see any way to explain the evidence without it.[/quote'] Cheers for the correction. Maybe I should go read a bio of Einstein...

Getting back on topic:

One person's concept of Horde Prime

http://www.jasonbot.com/bootlegsketch/hordeprime2web.jpg

Actual figure:

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/06/first-look-masters-of-the-universe-classics-horde-prime

Still from cartoon for comparison:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/50876/1678019-horde_prime.jpg

Oh, the industry wouldn't be completely self-driving for a long time. dangerous cargoes and dangerous routes (ice road truckers) won't convert for a long while. That said, some of the earlier applications of the technology will be in long haul trucking.

Here's how I envision it: A company driver goes from some address in city A to interstate exit A. Then he pulls off the scooter (conveniently located behind the cab) and goes off to his next gig in the town. The truck drives itself to interstate exit B, where a different driver with the company arrives in his scooter and gets the truck to some address in city B, and so forth. Refueling and tire changing are the only real problems with this that I can see.

That, and...

"Recalculating!" :eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwkaZTLpQ_c

or this