Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

The wrong-way fountain.

3846608152_ed729d6170.jpg

Inventor James Dyson’s fountain, inspired by the work of MC Escher, gives the illusion that its water flows uphill:

Covering the ramp is a glass surface. Water is pumped in at the bottom, and comes out of the opening at the top. At the opening, some of the water is diverted back down the ramp, covering the glass in a thin layer of water.

Compressed air is also pumped in where the water enters - bubbles then travel up the ramp to the opening. These bubbles, combined with the thin layer of water going downhill, are what create the illusion that the surface of the ramp is not just a glass lid.

Glad to see the Aztek on that list. I'm not a car person -- as long as it gets me from Point A to Point B safely' date=' I'm generally happy -- but something about that vehicle makes me shudder.[/quote']

Same here on all counts.

And yet, I love the look of that car (...SUV...Crossover...whatever). I loved it from the first time I saw it in a parking lot as a teen. I didn't get one at the time, having no need of an SUV, and, since they haven't been produced in forever, buying one now would be idiotic because of maintenance issues. But I still love the look...

And yet' date=' I [i']love[/i] the look of that car (...SUV...Crossover...whatever). I loved it from the first time I saw it in a parking lot as a teen. I didn't get one at the time, having no need of an SUV, and, since they haven't been produced in forever, buying one now would be idiotic because of maintenance issues. But I still love the look...

Uhm... okay. If you say so.... I thought it was pretty hideous.

Oh' date=' no worries. I am long accustomed to being in the severe minority in my affection for that vehicle. It just looked like some sort of space ship to me.[/quote']

No, the space ship was Toyota's first mini-van. It looked it should be in the hanger of the Enterprise.

No' date=' the space ship was Toyota's first mini-van. It looked it should be in the hanger of the Enterprise.[/quote']

You mean this one?

We had one of those back in the day. The engine was under the driver's seat. Fun to drive, but thank God we never rear-ended anyone, as there was nothing between the front seats and the next car ahead except a flimsy foam dashboard and a huge windshield.