• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Last Sunday I finally got a chance to go out shooting with my dad. We have been discussing revolvers in .45 Colt (commonly referred to as Long Colt" for quite a while. I want one, and have been trying to decide what format I want. I was leaning toward a Single action Ruger Blackhawk, as they will handle loads hotter than anything I want to shoot, are relatively affordable, and are available with a conversion cylinder in .45 acp. I shot a Ruger Vaquero, which is a "cowboy style" version of the blackhawk designed to be similar to the old Colt Single Action Army in look and operation. It has the same kind of crude sights the SAA had. This was pretty fun, but I prefer more modern sights.

The other gun he took out was a Smith and Wesson Model 25, "Model of 1986" this is a seriously sweet gun, but I always thought it was big enough to be a bit awkward. Shooting it did not feel that way though. My dad has custom finger groove grips on it, and though his hands are larger than mine, it was still comfortable. One problem is that it either needs a new front sight blade or significantly heavier loads to get the point of impact at the same point as the point of aim.

We started off shooting at 40 yards. That was where a target happened to be, and I just set up next to it. A few months ago I found a superb deal on a rubber reactive target, shaped like a ground squirrel. IIRC, it is supposed to handle larger rounds than the .22 long rifle it is primarily intended for. [ATTACH=CONFIG]40424[/ATTACH]

Just for gits and shins I decided to shoot at it with the revolver. My dad could see through the spotting scope that I was hitting right around it, because the impacts were visible on the log behind it. After a number of near misses, I think about 7 or 8, it suddenly was torn out of the ground and flung backwards. My dad said he thought I might have hit the heavy wire that forms the frame of it.

Later, when I went to clean up the area, I picked it up. I chuckled a bit, because it had been accelerated so quickly, that it had actually left its counter-weight behind. This slides onto the base with a bit of a dovetail. It took a bit of force to assemble, so I was surprised the target had been "blown out of its shoes" so to speak. [ATTACH=CONFIG]40427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40426[/ATTACH]

I noticed that the wire frame was bent quite a bit. It actually bowed in two different ways. . [ATTACH=CONFIG]40425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40426[/ATTACH]

I didn't see any signs of impact on either the wire or the counterweight, however. Suddenly I started Laughing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]40429[/ATTACH] :jawdrop:

I could probably never do it again with an iron- sighted handgun, but it was sure an impressive looking shot! There aren't many more lethal hits than one that takes out 1/3 of the head at once.

Now the really funny thing, is that the bullet didn't even penetrate. It was a lead bulleted load, basically a "cowboy" load. Probably a 250 gr bullet at about 850 fps. The smear on the target is actually larger than the diameter of the bullet. As the bullet was a round nosed flat point, It looks like it pressed into the target as it accelerated the target, causing the rubber to be marked further up the ogive of the bullet.

Pretty funny, Huh?;)