Wet Wounds Opened; Aquaman vs Namor

Nucleon

The two sea lords faces one another (some Trickster...transported in one another's universe...hypnotized...the usual) near a small coastal town. One of them is too much. What should happen then?

A few years ago, DC/Marvel crossover made harpoon-handed Aquaman win by the way of trickery. They also make Wolverine win over Lobo in the same serie, so I guess we take it at a subjective level after all.

(And how do you rate them in HERO terms anyway? Who is strongest for instance?)

Aquaman has always suffered from bad Public Presentation. By the time they managed to 'toughen his image' (ironically, by making his personality more like Namor to a degree) it was too late. I always felt sorry for him.

I would give sheer physical might and prowess to Namor. Not only is he portrayed as that being his main thing, he seems to have more experience as a warrior. Heck, he was fighting side by side with the Invaders for crying out loud.

Aquaman's power over sea life is much derided, but considering what a jellyfish can do to a full grown man, or how freaking nasty great whites are, etc.... I don't think his 'summon' power should be dismissed. It might turn the tide long enough for Aquaman to win.

I'd actually call it a tie.

Both should be #$#$ing strong btw, that's a lot of pressure under there, and swimming is excercise (Unlike that pansy flying through the air stuff ;) )

Originally posted by Hermit

Aquaman has always suffered from bad Public Presentation. By the time they managed to 'toughen his image' (ironically, by making his personality more like Namor to a degree) it was too late. I always felt sorry for him.

I would give sheer physical might and prowess to Namor. Not only is he portrayed as that being his main thing, he seems to have more experience as a warrior. Heck, he was fighting side by side with the Invaders for crying out loud.

Aquaman's power over sea life is much derided, but considering what a jellyfish can do to a full grown man, or how freaking nasty great whites are, etc.... I don't think his 'summon' power should be dismissed. It might turn the tide long enough for Aquaman to win.

I'd actually call it a tie.

Both should be #$#$ing strong btw, that's a lot of pressure under there, and swimming is excercise (Unlike that pansy flying through the air stuff ;) )

Namor has some summoning powers of his own (remember "the Whale that walks like a man") which are underrated and Namor's Atlantis has its own armies while (IIRC) Arthur's is a desolate ruin.

Flying through the air

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Have you ever flown through the air under your own power? I don't think so.... While I could see someone like Quasar (the Marvel character that is) not getting any exercise from flying,winged flyers such as the Angel are certainly exercising on a constant basis while in flight.

It was kind of like a joke, with the wink and the intended humor and the hey hey hey? :)

Only apparently not as funny...

Very well, my apologies to those supers who must actually sweat to stay aloft :)

Friend of mine did Dreadnought who was the Namor clone.

too powerful but that was the power level of us all.

ind you it started a real feud when said monarch would not intervene to save a politician, and a team mate trying to save said politician from a mob and supervillains. The feud was between the Unicorn an alien brick whose friend the team mate was, and Dreadnought.

-- snip --

I agree 100% about Aquaman. As far as strength goes, I remember a slug-fest between Namor and the Thing, and the Thing lost. A big deal has always been made over namor's strength, while the one thing you hear most about Arthur is his aquatic telepathy - but he's pretty frickin' strong, too.

As was hashed out in Amalgam, the two are dead-even when it comes to Stats and combat skill, but Arthur has the edge over Namor with his ability to summon sea-creatures to help.

I'd go with Aquaman.

I would have to go with Namor. He is far more physically powerful than Aquaman. Aquaman's strength is in the Spider-man range. Namor's is in the Thing range, and Namor appears to have the durability to go with it.

Aquaman does have the ability to summon great white sharks and such, but I would imagine that Atlantean children in Marvel go on great white hunts as a coming of age ritual.

Namor, 4 matches out of 5. :)

Re: while we're talking about them...

Has anyone ever made and played a Prince of Atlantis of their own?

Uncommon indeed. A friend of mine created Geothermic-powered Aquaflash back in 1979 (pre-HERO) as his personal hero, a mix between Aquaman and the Flash. While not being a "Prince of Atlantis", Aquaflash (a big figure in my Universe) is indeed the adopted heir of the Tird House of Aquadoma and a link between Aqualians and Humans.

(so okay, he is a "Prince of Atlantis" after all...) :rolleyes:

One of my regular PCs is the Princess of Atlantis- Mara, the Sea Hawk. You'll probably see more of her in an upcoming Hero product someday (and at least a small part of her story will be tied to the founding of UNTIL.) She was the heir apparent to the crown when her dad the King was assassinated by the general of his army, who opposed his plans to make peace with the surface world, and she fled rather than become his concubine. She eventually made her way to the Eastern Seaboard of the US, where she wound up helping some of the local superheroes fend off the Martian Invasion of 1939 and became a founding member of the Defenders of Justice. She re-took the throne in 1944 (and broke Atlantis' ties with the Axis, making the Atlantic safe for shipping again), married and divorced a surface dweller, married another prince (who died tragically) and had two kids, Marus of the Sentinels and the villainous Stingray, and still rules Atlantis to this day.

Out of the water she was basically a minor-league brick with limited flight and a trident forged from pure oricalchum.

Originally posted by Prometheus

It should probably be mentioned that Aquaman once defeated a Flash styled white martian by telepathically upsetting his Basal Ganglia. Seeing as how Namor is most certainly evolved from fish life, the resulting seizures would likely cripple him as well.

Or perhaps, being a sea creature, Namor could simply be "controlled" the same way Author controls other fishies.

John Desmarais

It should probably be mentioned that Aquaman once defeated a Flash styled white martian by telepathically upsetting his Basal Ganglia. Seeing as how Namor is most certainly evolved from fish life, the resulting seizures would likely cripple him as well.

There, there. That's one of 'em one-shot exaggerations that plagues the industry. That scene was so bad actually, I dropped off. It's like controlling an entire house when you're the Master Of Chinaware thanks to the presence of a drekker set in it. That was Royale Cheese Camembert Du Pays Terrible.

:o

Seeing as how Namor is most certainly evolved from fish life, the resulting seizures would likely cripple him as well.

Namor, just as with Aquaman, is not evolved from a fish. Atlantis was an island within the Marvel Universe just as it was within DC. They are both descendants from altered humans, altered to be able to survive in the deep. I doubt Aquaman's sealife control would work on Namor any more than it would on any of Aquaman's own people.

Namor. Flight is a huge advantage, plus Marvel Atlanteans have some other less-used powers, like being able to absorb and redirect electricty.

Under water, in grappling range, I'd consider it an even fight. If Arthur used his Summon abilities in that situation, he'd probably win.

In any other environment, Namor wins hands down. The whole "whale jumping out of the water and landing on you" trick from Marvel vs. DC was so cheesy I won't even dignify it with a response.

Gotta go with Namor. He practically destroyed New York City single-handed during his salad days. Aquaman couldn't do that -- unless he can summon Godzilla or something.

I ran a female swimster called Cygnet, the product of an emergency experimental medical treatment. In addition to Swimming and Life Support, she was a minor brick with a SPD 6. She had Instant Change defined as algae that suddenly grew on her body when her skin became moist.

I think that Aquaman would be hard pressed to defeat Namor hand to hand, but if he knew him at all, he could probably get him to dry land and wait until Namor's strength was about at his level and then beat him.

Aquaman gets the shaft, but I always liked him.

Originally posted by Monolith

Namor, just as with Aquaman, is not evolved from a fish. Atlantis was an island within the Marvel Universe just as it was within DC. They are both descendants from altered humans, altered to be able to survive in the deep. I doubt Aquaman's sealife control would work on Namor any more than it would on any of Aquaman's own people.

Actually I wasn't alluding to being a fish, I was talking about being a higher life form. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure if you've got vertabrae, you've got a B.G. It's also been established that Aquaman's powers extended beyond just sea life.

Both Namor and Aquaman have a (in my opinion) very underrated "nature's fury" angle going for them. It's always seemed to me though, that Namor's rage generally degenerated into a slightly more eloquent version of "Hulk SMASH", while Aquaman's is more a focused aggression. Namor's unfettered fury can lay waste to New York on his lonesome, but I think Aquaman fights dirtier- he has to, he's honestly outclassed in raw power- and that gives him the potential to pull "one of 'em one-shot exaggerations that plagues the industry".

And c'mon, the guy had a harpoon for a hand...

In the comic Julien and I did Aqus (who I have used in like a billion supers games afterwards- hes my favorite character I created) is God of the Seas and has made his throne in the sunken city, so hes what ever he wants of Atlantis. He owns it.

I have to go with Namor just on the basis of a huge strength disparity. Namor takes on the entire FF and holds his own against the Hulk. Has Aquaman even been able to stand off against Wonder Woman or Superman? As far as I know, he isn't in that league. I honestly haven't kept up enough with Aquaman to know if I am wrong. Let me know if he has ben shown to be that tough. I don't think Sea life is going to make any credible difference. Even the nastiest thing in the ocean couldn't survive even a tap from a Character that can press 90 tons. Unless you pull out mythical sea creatures like Monstro. Even then, if Namor can snag Monstro, it is unlikely that Aquaman could summon enough to defeat it and make a difference in the fight with Namor.