The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Frantically scribbling out instructor's comments on students' first drafts of an iterated writing assignment, very occasionally it becomes a pleasure.

Author: redacted

reviewed by: ((Cancer)) (the instructor)

You have hit a home run. This draft is an A paper in its

present form. You do not need to submit another draft.

I will retain this draft as your final, and you have

successfully completed this assignment. You have my

congratulations.

Had a good day with the family today. We went to the Science Center of Iowa, and they had redone most of the exhibits. Apparently, there have been a huge number of dinosaur species discovered since I stopped reading about them all the time (20+ years ago). I recognized 1 of the names. The boys loved those rooms. Then they built paper rockets and launched them from air guns. My youngest sat there tweaking his to see if he could make it go further. The eldest was happy with his making it 40-50 feet each launch. Youngest was getting close but just wanted to see IF.

They've taken a recent interest in the solar system, so the "star room" was next. We watched a live show with one of the scientists at the center telling about the skies of Iowa and what we could see tonight. The oldest was answering her questions and pointing things out to me. Then we saw the earth science room and the "snakes of Iowa." They liked that, but the youngest wouldn't step into the bat cave once the recorded screeches started.

They don't know this, but a live astronaut is going to be there next Thursday. They might be going as a surprise. It will partly depend on if the wife can bring outside food. Really, $30 for 3 at lunch? But a great day all around.

Over here, usually you choose once you've been in the university a while. There are a few people who come in bound and determined to attempt something, and they can pick from the pull-down list when they apply, assuming there are no requirements for the major (which is the case for some engineering programs).

This was the first of several, an enormous state university. They had the earliest deadline, that's all.

I remember not applying for the UC schools because by the time I started looking to see when application deadlines were, theirs had already passed.

If you want the canonical list of ways to screw up applying to college, let me know.

Oh, I still remember several of them, 44 years after when I did it. Fortunately, I had enough going for me (grades and standardized test scores ... if I have a true superpower, it is being able to grossly overperform on standardized tests) I got into a solid program despite them. My daughter has less going for her.

You should be.

So the kids have moved on from watching TMNT.  The new show of choice is the various Avengers cartoons on Disney (of course).  What's cool is that there are so many of them.  What sucks is that there's so many of them.  Seriously there's a Hulk-only Avengers team, in which Hulk mostly seems kind of irritable.

It was also fun seeing the wife's mind get blown when the GotG showed up on one of the shows.

With the exception of needing to change my oyster card, my day went better than expected. Got a repeat prescription that I will need during the holidays. Then got a parcel and card off to my cousin despite the queue in the post office. Got a ticket to see The Hobbit. While waiting I got lunch, picked up the latest comics including two issues of Astro City and got two bottles of champagne for Christmas. Saw the Hobbit and enjoyed it. All the things I wanted to do pre returning home are done.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not get to bed until a quarter to three. Saw the New Year in with motherand gave her a new bag with naturally an owl design and Sophia Loren's autobiography. Got a new jumper, Life Story and The Fall season 2. One beer, two vodka and orange juice and half a bottle of champagne with Licor 43 added was the drink for the evening. No hangover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...