The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Fine arts is not out of the question at this time, but then, nothing is out of the question at this time. You can't tell what an 18-year-old is going to end up doing. They can't really tell, and you cannot force them with any hope of success (in any sense of the term success).

I have told this story illustrating that point, and the story is true, to groups of incoming students' parents at more than one university.

When we graduated from high school, I was determined to go into astronomy (which I did). My best friend was similarly set on drama tech: set and lighting design and construction, etc. We went to the same university and were roommates for a while (until he got a girlfriend and a single room, but that's a different story). Anyway, he set out on his degree program and worked industriously away at his drama tech. But he had to take distribution requirements as well, and dabbled in various other things, and his attention wavered, and eventually he ended up graduating in something else entirely.

He's now a professor of chemical engineering in a major state university in the southwestern US. He still does theatre, but it's a hobby, not a profession.

And "The Buick Eight" is live! Note: Even if you are doing a Twilight Zone style story, don't use "Twilight" in the keywords. Too many results, and the Amazon bot will bounce you and say try again.

post-8342-0-04441300-1434715838_thumb.jpg

Special through the end of Monday night (at least). The first story in the companion series to the Pawn Shop is available for free! Get "Crazy Moon" here. Please download, read, and review!

post-8342-0-77010400-1434839012_thumb.jpg

Nice happy:

When you finally get a chance to release that burden you've carried for so long.  Two full days have forged and tempered a mighty column that is painful to release, but leaves no trace of its passing.  It is so rigid that afterward it remains upright, a monument to the internal power of its creator.  It's so strong that it resists the rushing waters that are meant to carry it away, and only with prolonged and repeated flooding does it finally succumb to its glorious last journey.  Godspeed.

Those of you who are observant will have noticed a distinct lack of my presence for the last week. Those of you with powerful powers of recollection will have twigged that this is the time of year that my mother is in the capital for a week.

So I have been pushing her around in a wheelchair.

We went onto the river as it was one of the things that she wanted to do and travelled from Parliament to Tower Bridge and back. One of the added bonuses of this was locating and seeing the memorial to the Battle of Britain pilots which is on the riverbank. Had a nice meal close to Waterloo station and visted the Anchor pub which has been on the site for over 400 years.

Got a good view of Victoria street as I pushed her in the chair all the way from the station past Westminster Abbey and Parliament.

We visited two of the biggest and most expensive stores in London, Harrods and Selfridges. This allowed for the purchase of Turkish delight, gluten free chocolate and candy. The latter got a return visit to allow for a lunch in the restaurant on the 5th floor (sixth to the Americans) which has a nice view over the skyline.

Victoria station had an pop up ice cream shop which allowed for ice cream to be bought and consumed.

The Taste of London ran on Saturday and we went there to have food and drink like octopus. As my mother had a VIP ticket she got a free glass of champagne and easier access to toilet facilities. It also allowed me to park her in one place and go backwards and forwards to get food and drink.

Went to Kent to see my cousin on the Sunday and saw the Shard up close. It is huge. My cousin and family were the recipients of the gluten free chocolate and candy. They have a birds nest under the eaves where you can see baby housemartins which was nice.

My mother expressed a desire to see the Queen's greengrocers Fortnum and Mason so we went there and got some small goodies.

All in all it was a nice trip with just a little bit of rain.

I'm not sure if that should make me happy or sad.  IRAF was a pretty good piece of kit, but you'd think it could have been improved upon by now.

On the other hand it has to be way faster than it was back in the day.  I used to kick off some IRAF processing scripts and go to lunch...

It still has the new-user issues it always had: the "mkiraf" command is something you type exactly once, and if your options are set wrong (and you're alone) you will never, ever figure out what happened. This is a pretty common thing now that everyone's laptop is more powerful than the big Vaxclusters back circa 1990, since those people don't have a sysadmin who has already learned where all the land mines are and can recover troubles.