The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

And tonight, after finishing some things around the house, I intend to start a solo CoC adventure called Alone Against the Flames. I'll use Harold Matthers, the character I wrote up for a novelette called "Fun and Games."

As I suspected, the adventure is a Choose Your Own Adventure with a character sheet that you fill out. Fun so far. Just getting into to the weirdness when I stopped for the night.

I played a couple of those CYOA knockoffs that had simulated combat with very simple rules way back. Can't recall any of their names, but the first program I ever tried to write from scratch was inspired by CYOA and Ghosts and Goblins. My program was "The Secret of Tut's Tomb."

As I suspected, the adventure is a Choose Your Own Adventure with a character sheet that you fill out. Fun so far. Just getting into to the weirdness when I stopped for the night.

I played a couple of those CYOA knockoffs that had simulated combat with very simple rules way back. Can't recall any of their names, but the first program I ever tried to write from scratch was inspired by CYOA and Ghosts and Goblins. My program was "The Secret of Tut's Tomb."

Fighting Fantasy is a RPG meets CYOA book series.

I finished the solo CoC adventure and learned some very important things about CoC:

1) put points in Spot Hidden. It doesn't matter how you justify it in the backstory, do so! When taking my character's personal skills (not professional), I choose stealth, violin, fighting (brawl), and archeology. Why violin? I wanted Harold to be a little more well-rounded as a person. Forget that! Next run, those 20 points are going into Spot Hidden. Spot was the most common check. I made several spot hidden checks (I passed two and missed two). One of the misses would have been a success if I had taken it before. NOTE: consider playing as a police detective and thus justify Spot Hidden as a professional skill.

2) if a crazy, homeless man teaches you a chant "to be used only if all else fails," speaking it is never a good idea, even if all else has failed. I stopped the cultists, but there's a 16-mile diameter barren place in the Connecticut landscape now and "my spirit floats amongst the stars."

3) Being a hero takes second place to living. I rolled back the last bit to try a different escape plan. That worked and I got away from the bonfire, singed and hurt. Without the sacrifice (me), something or things descended on the town. I found a bicycle in an alley and sped away. The book then said this. "You hear screams behind you and what sounds like the rush of wings high above. If you look back at the bonfire, turn to __. If you keep going, turn to __." I said, "I've got 1 HP left. This is no time for heroics. I peddle like crazy!"

Even though I plan on running the adventure again, I'm keeping Harold's sheet. I found a book of poetry that gave me 4 points to the Mythos skill. Professor Matthers might have other adventures, and a chemical engineer has great potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some years Gillian Anderson had said that she wanted to go on Top Gear. Well I found out recently that she had been on as she had said that Jeremy Clarkson had been nice to her when she was on the programme. You might find it on Youtube as Season 22 episode 6. It is pretty good. And it made me happy.

Gillian Anderson could vomit in your socks and it would make you happy.

And we understand.

Kinda.