How to hide a sword

Black Omega

Re: How to hide a sword

Buy the sword as a power (HKA, etc) with the Limitation: Only In Hero ID. When you're Joe Schmo, man on the street, the sword doesn't show. When you confront another immortal--uh, I mean, another guy, you reach into your jacket, and--presto!--you pull out your big-*** sword! Now you're Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod! Or, uh, whoever.

Basic idea is more similar to Glyph of Obscuring I've seen in some books. Basically the item is not noticed by most people until attention is drawn to it.

So Highlander quotes don't help much, though they are amusing.:) It's not a limitation, so I won't use HIO. Though...concealment bought as a power might be perfect for this. It's not a big advantage, so should not cost a huge amount.

You could go the Harbinger of Bullets route---

just have the sword be someplace else, and build a Summon to bring it to you when you need it. If you don't have it, they can't find it.

And as G-A pointed out, and a player of mine once used to good advantage, if you didn't buy it as a Focus or with the Real Weapon Limitations, then the sword itself is just SFX-- simply announce that it's hidden, and it's hidden, findable only by GM fiat.

The Duke makes a good point above (no Focus = no sword until you say). Depending on your point levels, I'd say use Concealment; if it's something the sword (as opposed to the wielder) does, make it part of the sword's build, otherwise give the (N)PC Concealment, maybe with limited levels "only to hide swords". Like this:

Slipped This Claymore In Me Vest Pocket: Concealment 12-*/17- (13 Active Points) only to hide swords on person (-1). Total Cost: 8 points.

*Assuming a Dex of 13-17; YMMV.

Hmmm....

I'd almost think that this would be an individual GM's call, as there are going to be a lot of variables. For example, if it were a pendant that 'became a sword' when you needed it, then sure-- it's well hidden. Major bonus against searches.

But if it's a sword, well-- it's a sword. The sticking point here is the 'inobvious' part. Perfectly legal build, but an interesting dillemma. Obviously, we're taking it as given that the GM has approved the use of 'Inobvious' for this weapon, so we'll dispense with that part.

So it boils down to how to interpret the "Inobvious" part-- is it that the sword itself is somehow easily overlooked or concealed? Or is it that even when directly examined it does not point itself out as a valid, useful weapon? Perhaps it appears to be an ornamental trinket of some sort.

Yep. I'm gonna have to say that, assuming this build was allowed, the handling of concealing it would decidedly be a case-by-case GM call.

Neat quandry, though!

Can I mention "Hammerspace"' date=' or has someone else beaten me to it?[/quote']

You can mention it, but I'll have to send Akane Tendo after you if you do. All I'd have to say is "Your panties? I think I saw Sterica running off with them!" and you're in for a world of hurt.

And then you'll experience Hammerspace first-hand, and why it is best reserved for cimedy campaigns.

There was a serious use of something that might have been Hammerspace in the new Doctor Who, when Captain Jack had been stripped completely naked and tied down to a table and still managed to whip out a pistol and shoot two robots that were about to decapitate him. All he's saying is "You don't want to know where I got that."

And given Captain Jack's well-noted tendency to **** anything in the Unievsre that is capable of ****ing or beinf ****ed, I'd say he was absoltuely right.

You can mention it, but I'll have to send Akane Tendo after you if you do. All I'd have to say is "Your panties? I think I saw Sterica running off with them!" and you're in for a world of hurt.

And then you'll experience Hammerspace first-hand, and why it is best reserved for cimedy campaigns.

There was a serious use of something that might have been Hammerspace in the new Doctor Who, when Captain Jack had been stripped completely naked and tied down to a table and still managed to whip out a pistol and shoot two robots that were about to decapitate him. All he's saying is "You don't want to know where I got that."

Your right...I don't want to experence Akane's use of Hamerspace first hand.

Oh, and the most simplest way to explain Hamerspace in HERO terms is "It looks like a focus, but it is not".

Another example of this 'space' is Lunaspace, where Luna, Sailor Moon, and the other Sailor Scouts/Sailor Senshi keep all there wands and transformation devices.

The Queen has a similar setup for her Scepter. The SFX is that she's learned how to manufacture small pocket dimensions that allow her to call out certain things she "keyed" them to, like her Armor and stuff that can draw power from it. However, because the Scepter is an Elemental Control, she can't put it in her equipment Multipower. So the idea is that if the power is defined by how she uses it, she can just "summon" it when she wants to use it and let the rest be SFX.

10 The Queen's Secpter: Elemental Control, 40-point powers, (20 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) - END=

16 1) Mace Smash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, END Reserve (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) - END=6

6 2) Mace Energy Beam: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=12

7 3) Shield the Royalty: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Limited Coverage 180 Degrees (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) - END=2

depends on what your hiding it in for that matter' date=' I have a cane with a rapier blade equivilant in it here, and I've seen a quarterstaff with a katana blade in it[/quote']

probably more of a "smallsword" as iirc Rapiers were often 30-40" long. :D

If the blade is something relatively flexible, like the Indian Urumi, or PERHAPS a special version of the Chinese jian (?memory fart?) then you could have it inside a special belt or perhaps even a baldric that acts as a flexible scabbard.

If the blade is only a shortsword, there are more ways, I like the way Crocodile Dundee carried his "knife."

probably more of a "smallsword" as iirc Rapiers were often 30-40" long. :D

Heh, yeah, definition's a real problem. Trying to get five people to agree on the question "what is a rapier?" is only marginally better than asking those same five people "what is a morningstar?" :)

Need to take over the world, so I can institute a uniform set of terminology for historical stuffs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

The best way to handle a Invis. Sword that won't cost to many points, is to build the Hilt like:

[invisibility to Sight Group , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (40 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Concealment ; -1/2), IAF (Hilt of sword; -1/2), Conditional Power Only Works to cloak a sword (-1/2)]

If the Hilt can turn itself and a sword invs.(usable simultaneously), Also shouldn't cost end to use(or if does becuase the Special effect is magic, then only to activate)

with the limitations 1.gestures to show sheathing the sword and hiding it in a trench coat or what ever, 2. IAF becuase you could still "feel" the Hilt or otherwise sense it and in a grab attempt it could be taken away. 3.RSR to show a certain level or expertise is needed to properly possission it. 3. And " Conditional Power Only Works to Cloak a sword (-1/2) to show that you can't hide yourself in the hilt.

What do you think?

hope it works for you, or gives you ideas.