A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

On 5/9/2020 at 3:30 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I guarantee when that scene was broadcast, Lex Luthor immediately headed for the deepest, darkest hole he could find.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, Ragitsu said:

Also,

"ALFRED! BUST OUT THE KRYPTONITE BULLETS!"

On 5/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, Lord Liaden said:

If Superman actually became that ruthless, Batman would have been his next target, and would have been taken out before he ever had a chance to use those bullets.

With his power and intelligence, an unrestrained Superman would be practically unstoppable, and could do anything he wants. It's a testament to his extraordinary character that the only thing preventing that is his own morality.

There have been a lot of variations on the theme of an Evil Superman story. Injustice: Gods among Us, the most obvious example, is about just that -- Superman becoming a murderous dictator and the rest of the heroes and villains of Earth trying to figure out where they fit in the new reality. But there are many other examples, like the horror film Brightburn -- in which a teenager discovers his superpowers and wreaks havoc with them. The Boys also has an evil analogue to Superman. Finally, in the comics we have examples like Irredeemable, in which a near-omnipotent hero called the Plutonian kills everyone in the nation of Singapore and keeps on killing.

I think we should be grateful that Superman isn't real, because we would always have to look over our shoulders and wonder what's coming next. and for most "ordinary" people, a superhero world would be very dystopian.

I'm grateful Injustice Superman isn't real. I'm grateful the Brightburn kid isn't real. I would very much like the true Superman to be real.

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe fundamental human nature is evil -- that power inevitably corrupts. Superheroes were conceived to give us hope, to inspire us to be better.

7 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Did the British ever build an ugly airplane during the War?  I look at even the unconventional designs, and I say to myself, "Dang, but that's a magnificent work of art!"

Few aircraft of that era are ugly, even the ones designed to kill large numbers of people simultaneously. Miyazaki examined the crossroads between art and engineering many of these aircraft possessed in his film The Wind Rises about the man who designed the Japanese Zero naval fighter. The hero is as much artist as engineer, and the Zero is his masterpiece -- but few survive the war, a war which has visited untold destruction on the whole of Asia and the Pacific and left Japan in ruins. One of the themes is that an artist usually has "ten good years" when he is at the peak of his powers. At the end of the film, he is asked if he was satisfied with how he used that time.

He has no answer.

The one ugly aircraft from that era I can think of is the Stuka, but the function of the aircraft -- to unleash death and terror on those unlucky enough to be on the ground it's flying over -- is magnificently successful.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:41 PM, wcw43921 said:

Did the British ever build an ugly airplane during the War?  I look at even the unconventional designs, and I say to myself, "Dang, but that's a magnificent work of art!"

The Bolton Roc, the Lerwick, The Blackburn Botha, The Armstrong Whitworth Whitley and the Fairey Battle might qualify

The Bolton Paul Defiant is another possibility.

The Short Sunderland flying boat was a big brute of a plane but it worked