Super pitcher

RPMiller

Anyone ever stat out a minor or major league pitcher? Ever come up with the damage for a hardball?

I have a new player that is playing just such a character. I would be interested in your thoughts and/or experiences in this area.

Re: Super pitcher

Well just speculating about it. Baseballs are hammered with baseball bats without the ball being destroyed. That means they must have a fairly good DEF. For instance some of the biggest, strongest, major league players hit them out of the park without destroying the ball, ever. Let's assume that the strongest players have 20 STR. Lets assume that the baseball bat gives them a +2d6 HA (that's being conservative). Every so often one of them is going to roll max damage. 20 STR and +2d6 HA will be a 6d6 damage roll and even a maximum damage roll does not destroy the base ball, ever. Using that logic the baseball would have to be at least 11 PD and 1 BODY. So you'd be able to do up to 12d6 with the ball as a thrown attack. It seems a little high but if you are going for a superheroic character why not.

I created a mercnary villian named Fastball, who was a corprate japanies "superhero" with high tech baseball equipment. I basicly gave him two difrent martial arts (one for Bat, and the other, a range one, for ball) and bought for him a recovable Energy Blast vs PD. I also gave him a few plusses to his Energy Blast, made the plusses vs ED, and explaned it as throwing a baseball so fast/hard that it burst into flames. Needless to say, once he starts tossing "fireballs", thoes recovable EBs I gave him STOPED becoming recovable.

Anyways, I diden't have the courage to send him into Hero at the time, and I lost my charater sheet for him over time (it was in 4th edition). I might eventuly recreat him, but first, what is the word for "fastball" in japanies? Does anyone have a better name for him?

I asked Steve what he thought the damage for a fastball would be. He said about 3d6 normal.

The character isn't currently a superhero. We are roleplaying his pre-powers period right now. So I would be interested in "real world" baseball stuff.

I like the "fireball" idea. In fact that is directly in line with the players idea. He likes to "throw the heat" to get the batters thinking twice. So if you have that writeup I would love to see it. If only the power writeup, that would be fine.

I asked Steve what he thought the damage for a fastball would be. He said about 3d6 normal.

The character isn't currently a superhero. We are roleplaying his pre-powers period right now. So I would be interested in "real world" baseball stuff.

I like the "fireball" idea. In fact that is directly in line with the players idea. He likes to "throw the heat" to get the batters thinking twice. So if you have that writeup I would love to see it. If only the power writeup, that would be fine.

According to the rules, you do strength damage when throwing something up to the objects Def + Body. Given a 15 Str. Pitcher...3d6. I actually came up with a chart that helped emphasize this (factoring in velocity and mass of the object). Of course there is nothing saying that you can't add in a ranged martial art or extra strength for throwing.

fastball - speedball (supiidobaaru) or sokkyuu. The screwball is called the shuuto. I don't remember the rest.

I had heard about the shuuto, and that it was big pitch in Japan. Never had heard what it was though. Didnt even know how to spell shuuto till just now. (so a search was out of the question)

According to the rules' date=' you do strength damage when throwing something up to the objects Def + Body. Given a 15 Str. Pitcher...3d6. I actually came up with a chart that helped emphasize this (factoring in velocity and mass of the object). Of course there is nothing saying that you can't add in a ranged martial art or extra strength for throwing.[/quote']

Steve says he can't add his strength to the damage and referred to UMA pg. 100. FYI.

FYI - There's a cyborg super-pitcher named Fastball in the old 4ed High Tech Enemies book.

I don't have that book, and I like the EB approach for this particular character.

What does the Tech Enemies book have that I might want to look at?

In the myth of Philemon and Baucis, at least in some versions, Zeus and Hermes gift the couple with a miraculous pitcher that never empties, no matter how much is poured forth from it.

Life Support comes to mind as one way to write this up, but I see two problems. One, it doesn't matter how many people drink. Two, in Ovid's version at least, the pitcher was full of wine - and man does not live by wine alone.

I think it would be better to use the "create something" rules from Transform. A single 1d6 of Transform, at Zero END, with a Focus, Gestures (pouring) and Independent (it's a gift from the Gods, if it's lost or destroyed there's no way to get it back.)

I believe in Nathaniel Hawthorne's version, there's a moral test attached - if you are a kind and generous person, the product of the pitcher is sweet and satisfying, but if you are cruel or miserly, it tastes sour to you. That's just special effects justified by the "personal vs universal" focus rules. If you can define a focus that works only for one person, or certain classes of people, you can easily define it as working slightly differently for different kinds of people.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suspects that Lucius needs to buy some penalty skill levels against missing the point.....

FYI, don't forget CSLs with throwing things, PSLs vs. range or (rarely) even a Find Weakness roll (for being able to put the ball right where they want it).

Also, while I agree a thrown object wouldn't exceed strength amounts, an extra damage class or two specifically attached to thrown objects might not be out of line to represent his strength and skill specifically in regards to a pitch.

Heh... The thing is, once he gets his superpowers he will be a "standard" superhero. I'm planning on giving him an EB. I haven't decided if it will be physical or energy yet, but I'm leaning toward energy.

That said, I will definitely use some of the suggestions made so far to more accurately take into consideration his throwing skill. Right now he is built on 75 points, so he doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of "combat worthy" skills, but that will all change. :sneaky:

It will probably be sometime in the next couple days when he "changes" so please keep the suggestions and such coming. Thanks!

All right...here is a rougth power outline. Since I no longer have eather my FREd or my Pocket FREd (the booklet which came with the GM screen), or my Little FREd (Sidekick), I'm going to have to wing it. So bair with me...

Fastball: 6d6 Energy Blast (physical), 6 Charges (Recovable, +0?), Focus (OIF, a bandlear of baseballs (-1/2).

and Flaming Fastball: 3d6 Energy Blast (energy), Linked (Fastball, +1/2), Charges Do Not Recover With Linked Power (+0).

Of course, remember that he IS using high tech equipment...the baseballs are especaly made of specail materials which resist most air friction (but not all of it), so that he could pitch them faster and longer than normal.

What happens when a baseball is thrown at near-bullet speeds (700 mph or therabouts) and then strikes a target (flesh, brick, wood, etc?)

I once ran a Play-by-Post camapign where my version of Fastball was an assassin who threw the ball that fast and with alarming accuracy. He was part of the Rouge's Gallery of one of my favorite PCs, a mystically-oriented speedster called the Dagger (who was originally blamed for his crimes because 700 mph was about as fast as she could run).

thought this might interest people here its an article about a unseen new pitch that is supposed to be almost unhittable no one is sure if it can even be thrown or if its just a mathematical illusion created by Japanese scientists with a super computer but the world of baseball will be changed for ever when the first GYROBALL is thrown

So, I have a new question for you baseball fans and Hero gurus.

Do you think that a major league pitcher would have a SPD stat of 3, or to put it another way, do you think a pitcher would have a higher SPD score than the rest of the players?

I've been working through some thoughts on that and trying to come up with a reason why one would or would not have a higher SPD. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

A pitcher has very little need for SPD, relative to a position player.

A pitcher gets to deliver on their own pace, so they can hold their previous phase and pitch whenever they're just about to get another action (which is pretty useful if you have to actually field your position).

Come to think of it, on a point for point basis, a pitcher doesn't have much need for DEX, either. Their principal contribution to their team's success can be fulfilled with a bunch of levels.

There is an old saw that holds that pitchers aren't athletes. Well, not necessarily so, anyway. There are plenty of effective pitchers that are entirely unimpressive as athletes go. Granted, a pitcher will be better off if they are in good shape and can run a little, but if a team had the opportunity to sign a fat, slow guy with no agility to speak of, but who could reliably get people out, they'd sign him in an instant. There just aren't enough good pitchers to go around.