The things I've learned playing a Martial Artist

Jomster

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The things I've learned playing a Martial Artist

Not to derail, but we use a different attitude about this, mainly because we have three fairly hardcore martial artists sitting at the table, all with vastly different backgrounds, all of them heavily crosstrained in multiple styles.

Any character that has Martial Arts probably knows THOUSANDS of maneuvers and variants. The ones you spend points on are the ones you have learned well enough that you would use them when lives are on the line.

Seriously, I've trained to do stuff like this. I've even pulled it off in sparring matches. But I'd be reluctant to try it in a real match, let alone a real fight. And my coach would kill me for even showing it to new students ;)

So, were I to stat myself out in HERO System terms, I wouldn't purchase the flying armbar maneuver. But that doesn't mean I don't know it, which is what my KS's in various martial arts would help represent. Now then:

Variety may be the spice of life, but too much spice will ruin a good thing. You only need enough maneuvers that you are usefull in multiple situations and won't get bored.

Agreed, but on the other hand of it, I see each maneuver as the effect, not the SFX, so as we see in some write ups, a martial strike can be anything from a straighforward elbow to a knee strike to whatever...

Be like Jackie! Just because it says 'Sacrifice Throw' on your sheet doesn't mean it has to represent the same takedown each time, description of combat maneuvers makes combat twice as fun, and is the MA's bread and butter.

I see each maneuver as the effect' date=' not the SFX, so as we see in some write ups, a martial strike can be anything from a straighforward elbow to a knee strike to whatever...[/quote']

agree 100%. We rarely describe the same maneuver the same way twice. What would be the fun in that?

Multiple Power Attacks... Martial Artists are allowed (with penalties) to utilize as many of their maneuvers as makes sense in 1 Phase as long as they can pay END (and don't miss). It's an HTH Alpha Strike!

See my post above where I describe doing this to someone's vitals. :jawdrop:

I thought manuevers didn't cost END beyond for STR - and that you only had to pay for STR once in a phase?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary proudly notes that Lucius took a remedial spelling class. Lucius quietly but firmly observes that if the palindromedary isn't careful it could get both necks tied together in a knot.

Find a second area in which your C is good at.

Now most MA's are already stealthy and have good thief skills, consider having a set of skills used for both in and out of costume. Being a lawyer comes to mind, or doctor, or .....?

I thought manuevers didn't cost END beyond for STR - and that you only had to pay for STR once in a phase?

You pay end for each time you use Str not each segment you use Str in.

If you sweep and punch 3 guys then you have to pay End 3 times.

If you do a Martial Grab/ Martial Punch/ Martial Throw combination then you pay End once.

....I think.

You only pay END for STR once per PHASE... EXCEPT when it comes to using attacks. Then you pay for each additional use of STR.

So if you Sweep three guys, do the Grab/Punch/Throw combo or have an Autofire (x3) punch you would pay the end cost on your STR three times.

This information is detailed on p7 of the Ultimate Brick. It's also in the Combat Handbook somewhere (don't have it with me). I'm honestly not sure off hand if it's explained that clearly in 5ER or FRED...

PREsence attacks, PREsence attacks, PREsence attacks!

quote]

Get some KIIIIAAAIIII!!! to your PRESENCE ATTACK! Buy it Armor Piercing.

Does Knockback (+1/4) on your PRE is a great tool.

Now we're going for the KIIIAAAIII!!! Overkill, don't we?

I mean, basically a PRE can effect anybody who is a witness to the presence attack - even over the telephone or by watching your Hero go nuts on TV (or on a video if you recorded the event).

Okay, lower the dice number for dstance etc. but still: PRE 50, Armor Piercing, does Knockback on everybody who sees/ hears it ...

"Hey you, from CNN - is this live, international coverage? Okay, watch this (one segment preparation for a PRE HAYMAKER!) ... "

INSTANT GLOBAL ARMAGEDDON! :eek:

Now we're going for the KIIIAAAIII!!! Overkill' date=' don't we?[/font']

I mean, basically a PRE can effect anybody who is a witness to the presence attack - even over the telephone or by watching your Hero go nuts on TV (or on a video if you recorded the event).

Okay, lower the dice number for dstance etc. but still: PRE 50, Armor Piercing, does Knockback on everybody who sees/ hears it ...

"Hey you, from CNN - is this live, international coverage? Okay, watch this (one segment preparation for a PRE HAYMAKER!) ... "

INSTANT GLOBAL ARMAGEDDON! :eek:

5ER pg257

Impressive As All Get Out: Does Knockback for Presence Attacks of up to 20D6. Total Cost 25 Points.

You can't get a Götterdämmerung any cheaper than that ...

I don't know about that.....I seem to recall building a planet busting missile once on 5 pts. Not sure it could be done under the current regime, though...

My friends and I used to have "destroy the world on 75 character points or less" contests.

Lucius Alexander

Focus: Palindromedary, Window of Opportunity: Palindromedary's birthday, Incantations: Sator Arepo Tenet Opera DON'T FINISH THE INCANTATION, you fool, you want to really do it?

Watch lots of martial arts flicks, no matter how bad they are.

This is Champions. While it draws inspiration from the real world, it's still a comic book world that you are playing in.

They may be goofy, silly and/or stupid, but hey, Dragonball and Dragonball Z do have a lot of ideas for high-end super-powered martial artist stunts.

They may be goofy' date=' silly and/or stupid, but hey, [i']Dragonball[/i] and Dragonball Z do have a lot of ideas for high-end super-powered martial artist stunts.
Like justifications for flight, teleport (I don't care if the sfx is travelling just below the speed of light:nonp:), force fields or even "Sense point level."