What I Learned Playing a Mage....

TheRavenIs

In the spirit of the threads from Bloodstone and CrosshairCollie, here's another on a much-loved character type - the Mage.

The rules from the other threads are working well, so let's follow that and have just one entry per post please.

Remember even a weak spell, low DC's, can save your life, be creative in using them.

Re: What I Learned Playing a Mage....

In Heroic campaigns that don't allow Frameworks (Old Skool FH), Variable Advantage, Variable Limitation, Variable Triggers, Variable SFX, etc,etc... are the key to crafting a wide repetoire of spells with a limited number of points.

Variable: Any One of a given Group on Adjustment Powers is probably your best friend for this.

All those "extra time to cast" limitations that you took initially to go for that "cool arcane ritual look" start to get bought off pretty fast if you realise that being a battle mage is really your thing!

HODOKEN is the only spell you'll ever need.

Unda Pugneus (Spell, Black Magic)

The Unda Pugneus is a vile spell which drains love from the world and twists it into destructive energy capable of mass destruction Unrivaled by any spell before it.

Effect: RKA 4d6, Armor Piercing, (energy based)

Target/Area affected: 1km

Casting Time: Full Phase

Procedures: Incantations, Gestures, Concentration (1/2 DCV)

Duration: Instant

Range: 16875” (17.8 km)

Magic Roll Penalty: -15

END Cost: 30

Charges: 1 of 1

Game Information: RKA 4d6; Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (one Hex; +1/2), Megascale (AoE) (1km/1”; +1/4), Range Advantage (25x Active points, Not counting this Advantage; +1/4) (150 active points, 135 for range calculation); Incantations (Hadoken!) (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Charges (Plus Endurance)(1 charge) (-2 1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV) (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase) (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost: x2 (-1/2), Requires a Skill Roll (Black Magic; -1/2). Total Cost: 26 Point

THe best path to a long life is to not look like a mage...aka "Dudes that look like mages get all the arrows"

Corollary: a well-placed illusion spell on the fighter can work wonders for drawing fire during battle.

A well done illusion on a tree or a rock works wonders, especially if it tricks someone into breaking their weapons on it. For best results, pair with invisibility on yourself.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks if we should maybe reveal some of the REAL secrets....

When you hear of the "Tome of Arcane Lore" and the spells rumoured to be contained within it, you know you've just gotta have it! Just the small matter of convincing your group to go for it, even if it is currently owned by a Dread Lich of the Underworld who has been studying it for over 1,000 years and has probably picked up a few tips by now...

That there is nothing a well aimed fireball can't fix... well except heartburn (don't ask)

Unless you caste it and the dragon has 75% damage reduction and absorption vs fire all to stun. Image---the dragon just opened mouth and then swallowed it. Was funny I thought....PC's ran for the hills. The Dragon had had heartburn or over a century. He rewarded them after they found out they could not escape.