Make a Green Lantern Oath

Hermit

I am getting a Green Lantern Subscription for a present.

It will be 6-8 weeks before it starts.

So, to prevent my self from exploding, and because I am thinking of running a next generation style Green Lantern campaign for some friends as well and will need NPC oaths, I thought I'd milk some of the genius here.

Besides, I think it would be fun.

As many of you know, Green Lanterns have a proud tradition of oaths, explained here:

http://www.glcorps.org/oa-oath.html

The Best known example is probably this one

"In brightest day, in blackest night,

no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,

beware my power.. Green Lantern's light!"

So, please, if you have a variant or totally original Oath that you would use for your Green Lantern and are willing to share, please post it here.

Thanks.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Make a Green Lantern Oath

This is the oath of my character The Candle, who, after some games fell through, never actually played.

The Candle resembles Alan Scott. That is, he is not part of the standard Green Lantern mythos. He uses an old fashioned magical lantern (from the Mystery Train that never returned) directly, with a magic candle not a ring.

The rhyme is spoke with the wielder accepting the lantern's point of view.

"In shadowed noon and endless night,

The evil hide from judgement bright.

Only those who fight for right,

May wield this magic candle-light!"

(Cue pyrotechnics as the candle lights up.)

Obviously with a rhyme like this, you're saying the item is personal to the extent that Thor's hammer is. The point is: only the militantly righteous need apply for this magic power, all others suck damage and fail.

Then there's the Red Lantern oath, from an old DC Heroes Ambush Bug module. This is from memory, which will be accurate give or take your choice of punctuation:

"When I'm not far and I am near,

I beat up things that I don't fear.

Let bad guys know when I'm around:

Red Lantern's here. Get outta town!"

Which is nearer to the spirit and the meaning of Hal Jordan's oath than my version is, and the "no fear" bit is dead-on.

Of course a more politically correct Green Lantern would have to be more selective:

"In brightest day, in deepest night,

['black' can be offensive]

no conflict of my own interests shall escape my sight!

['evil' is so subjective]

Let those who agree to uphold those same interests which conflict with my own interests might,

[again with the 'evil', and 'worship' shows religious intolerance]

beware the Green Lantern Coalition's power.. Green Lantern's light!"

[one needs unity in order to stand for something acceptable, Green Lanterns have gotten into trouble due to the subjectiveness of personal policing authority]

There, that's more neutral. You don't want to go spewing about your own conviction, the 'acceptably tolerant' will crucify... er, reprimand... you for it.

Not mine - but I like it. This is the oath sworn by Jack T. Chance (A GL who first appeared in Green Lantern Corp Quarterly #1).

You who are wicked, evil and mean

I'm the nastiest creep you've ever seen!

Come one, come all, put up a fight

I'll pound your butts with Green Lantern's light!

Yowza.

Other neat ones...

Duck Dodger?

In blackest day or brightest night

Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda

Erm...superstitious and cowardly lot

With liberty and justice for all!

Golden Age GL

...and I shall shed my light over dark evil.

'For the dark things cannot stand the light,

The light of the Green Lantern!

Please forgive a re-post:

Beijing, China, 2002.

In brightest day above Beijing, blood red lightning flashed. A jade sphere fell, and a hero knew that he would die.

San Francisco, America, 2002.

“Because I don’t want to study medicine!” Chang Mei-Wa was annoyed. Jason seemed to think that she needed his advice. She was not going to put up with it.

“May, calm down. I’m just saying your parents must be paying a ton to keep you here. How are they gonna feel if you end up coming home in two years with a liberal arts degree?”

The boy thought that he was being kind. Chang tried to remember that. He did not know about her family. His arrogance had been part of what attracted her to him.

“Go away, Jason.”

“What? May…”

“Get out of my room. Now.”

The big blond boy muttered “Whatever” and stalked out.

Chang Mei-Wa did not cry. With great concentration she began to recite the names of her ancestors, beginning with the great Chang Dao-Ling.

A nameless village in Mongolia, 43 AD.

In darkest night, in the corpse of a village, the great Chang Dao-Ling leaped and spun. His sword had slain many demons, yet these creatures would not die. His spirit jars held beings of great power, yet these half men feared them not. Chang bled, and fought on.

The four that had been men wore crowns, each different, each a thing of power. Once friends, students, brothers, now the four stood within the ruins, dead men walking among the dead, and mocked their former master. “You can not hurt us, Chang the fool! You have no hope! Turn your eyes from us, kowtow, and we shall let you live!”

Chang drew himself up, and knew no fear. “No evil shall escape my sight.” From behind the great Chang, an emerald light shone brighter than the sun.

Beijing, China, 2002.

“No evil shall escape my sight” whispered the Jade Knight. He knew that his time was here, and he was not afraid. He had done what had to be done; the portal had been sealed. China was safe. The crown would find the most worthy of Chang’s line, and the world would know the glory of the light. The Jade Knight’s hand touched the crown one last time, and felt it vanish.

A nameless village in Mongolia, 43 AD.

“Let those who worship Evil’s might, beware my power!” The voice was sweet and pure beyond dreams, but Chang did not turn from his foes. A woman of unearthly beauty flowed into place before the walking dead, and in her hand was a lantern of Jade. The lantern blazed impossibly brightly, and the walking dead men roared, and died again. The four crowns vanished.

The woman turned to Chang, and Chang knelt before her. He did not kowtow.

“They will return, Chang Dao-Ling. They will return, and they shall bring darkness and terror. But you shall be here, Chang Dao-Ling, you and your line.” The woman, the goddess, held out to Chang the lantern of jade. Unafraid, Chang took it in his hand. The lantern shone, and as the light faded Chang found in his hand a crown of jade, a shining mirror of the objects that had destroyed his followers, his friends.

“You and your line shall wear the crown, Chang Dao-Ling. I charge you: Protect the weak, and protect the righteous. Be their light in darkest night.”

Central Park, New York, America, 2002.

Chang Mei-Wa opened her eyes in shock. A cold stone weight rested tight against her brow. Whispers and secrets spanning two thousand years sounded in her heart in the voices of her family. Her body rose into the air, and she knew that her life would change, but she was not afraid.

The Master looked up as a green figure descended from the sky. For a moment, he looked into the past. The light faded, and a young Chinese girl in a green silk shirt and faded blue jeans. She wore the Jade Crown.

“Do you remember my great uncle?” Her voice was not unkind.

The Master nodded, remembering a brave young man defending the weak. The Master remembered his sins, and waited.

“It was a war,” said the girl, “and I do not hate you. I need to learn how to use the Crown. You are the only one alive who can teach me.”

The Master accepted the student, that there might be light in darkest night.

Copyright Robert Dorf, 2005

Then there's the Red Lantern oath, from an old DC Heroes Ambush Bug module. This is from memory, which will be accurate give or take your choice of punctuation:

"When I'm not far and I am near,

I beat up things that I don't fear.

Let bad guys know when I'm around:

Red Lantern's here. Get outta town!"

Which is nearer to the spirit and the meaning of Hal Jordan's oath than my version is, and the "no fear" bit is dead-on.

I think that was the Amber Butane Corps.

Keith "Bug fan" Curtis

The party of the first part undertakes

to execute his responsibilities as described

by his contract with the party of the second part

as allowed by local law and regulation

and agrees to utilise any and all luminous power

provided by the party of the second part

in pursuit of those responsibilities.

Hey. We aren't all poets. Some of us are lawyers.

The party of the first part undertakes

to execute his responsibilities as described

by his contract with the party of the second part

as allowed by local law and regulation

and agrees to utilise any and all luminous power

provided by the party fo the second part

in pursuit of those responsibilities.

Hey. We aren't all poets. Some of us are lawyers.

Hal Jordon wept.

Funny though. :)

You know that if you're being cruel

You know that if you're a career liar

Then I'm going to say to you

Perp, your situation's dire

Try to escape from the Green Fire

Come on baby light the Green Fire

Glance into the Emerald Pyre

Stare into the Emerald Pyre

GAZE INTO THE EMERALD PYYY-RRRRRE... yeah

Today I pick up the ring and lantern,

Not the first time I say this vow.

My soul shall make green fire to burn,

under the glare of justice the evil bow.

When the suns wink out, and day is done,

the patrol for fugitives has just begun.

Authority rises, and the craven withdraw,

From the lantern's light, and the rule of law.

More power!

Urh urh urh!

-Oath of Green Lantern Tim Taylor

Evil likes the night. What's that about?

You'd think they could do more evil in the day when they could see.

Evil must spend a fortune on flashlight batteries.

Anyway, I've got this nifty Green Lantern here,

and I'm hoping to get some power for my ring

so I can go out, shed light, defeat evil, all that sort of thing.

Need to pick up my dry cleaning too, I can't fight evil in an unlaundered shirt.

-Oath of Green Lantern Jerry Seinfeld