Wwyd ????

SatinKitty

A Celestial Being, Magic Genie (pick your idea of WishGiver) appears before you and says "You have been chosen for a Divine Purpose. (Or Thanks for letting me out of that stupid little lamp). I will grant you any Superpower or Powers you wish, but if you accept, you may only live for five more years. What say you ?"

Re: Wwyd ????

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!

Itty-bitty living space.

The phrasing of the question (plus the wwyd rather than wwycd in the title) leads me to believe that this is directed at the user in the real world, rather than at a character played thereby in a game world, so ...

I'd think the whole thing was some kind of elaborate hoax or trick (or hallucination), roll my eyes and walk off, 'cause there's no such thing as, well, any of that. :)

5 real years or 5 Relative years? Cause Speed Zone powers would definitly be on my list of things to grab ;)

Honestly, I don't think I could do it. 5 years just isn't long enough. After all, I want to see my kids grow up.

Course, if the day after I got hit by a bus that my invulnerability would have otherwise protected me from, I'd feel damn stupid...

(After questioning and presumeably eliminating the obvious "cheater" deals, like playing with time or immunity to all harm):

Put off my answer for 30 or 40 years - or until it's worth it (disease, apocalypse, etc). "I'll get back to you on that, okay? Do you have a number or email address I'll be able to reach you at?"

Since I don't believe in an afterlife, this life is the most precious resource I've got.

I'd have to turn it down. I'm married, and I love my wife. I'd rather be around for more than five more years.

If I were single, 10,000 Point Cosmic Power Pool plus Duplication; my dupes and I would remake the world and solar system as much closer to a paradise, help the Earth through its transition period, and create trustworthy Superbeings to act as guardians after we were gone.

Glory followed by death is much easier when you're single.

I'd have to turn it down. I'm married, and I love my wife. I'd rather be around for more than five more years.

If I were single, 10,000 Point Cosmic Power Pool plus Duplication; my dupes and I would remake the world and solar system as much closer to a paradise, help the Earth through its transition period, and create trustworthy Superbeings to act as guardians after we were gone.

Glory followed by death is much easier when you're single.

With the Duplication in mind, how about just a general duplication (where the duplicates can outlife the original) or genius intellect with the ability to clone yourself, so the original body dies but the superpowered clones survive.

Okay, cheating still.

I'd have to go with the majority here and turn it down, although maybe I could refer the genie on to some of my friends.

Hmm, that might not be such a good idea either.

:)

Guest WhammeWhamme

"So... just a few questions before I make up my mind.

1) Is there an afterlife?

2a) If there is, how does one ensure it is pleasant?

2b) If there isn't... can I have the power to create one?"

Cheating? Moi?

This is like the premise to the comic Strikeforce Morituri, where you got powers but would only live up to a year after gaining them. They were making super-soldiers to repel an alien invasion. One poor girl got her powers and died almost immediately because of them.

Even though I wouldn't get to see my youngest turn 6 years old, I would still take the djinni's offer. I would want Reed Richards-level intelligence and engineering skills, and then I would start creating solutions to hunger and want. I would just throw the plans up on the web because money would shortly go by the wayside so why bother trying to make a fortune selling the devices.

If I felt like trying to cheat I may whip up a djinni blaster or clone myself, but I doubt if it would be that easy. I would be ok with leaving a legacy of every person on the planet going to bed well fed.

I'd wish to be 20 all over again. To be blunt, living to 40 wasn't all it was cracked up to be -- I'd take being 20 for five years and knowing that I was going to die suddenly, then waiting for any of my current health issues to kill me by inches over 20 years.

Matt "Got-kicked-out-of-the-Optimists'-Club" Frisbee

Given the powers of my character Ghost Archer? Would I take the chance? Hell, my doctor has already told me the cancer is probably going to kill me anyway. And I am 52 already. Yes. I'd take the power and do all the good I could in the time I had. First I'd deliver Ben Laden to the UN, NOT the US mind you. Then I'd go to work on every tin-pot dictator and mass-murdering slime I could find. With a five year life span, culling the evil out of mankind would be worth it and I wouldn't have a problem with doing it in the most permanent way.

Yeah I'd take the deal, If I got the powers of the Traveler, I would have the power to help my family, friends, the world yeah----fives years would be long enough to help fix some things on this tired old world.

I'd use that power to find all the despots, weapons mongers, drug cartel's, heck most of the corrupt leaders of this old world and send them to the approate he**. Then use the knowledge I'd have as Traveler to slove the probleams, even if people hated me for it, in the end the world would be better.

The only way I would if I did get the powers of the Traveler, if not then I'd say.....no thanks.