The "Classic" Elements

Enforcer84

Okay who wants to help me out?

(geez don't all raise your hands at once...)

I know the classic Greek and Western Elements are:

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

and that the Japanese are...IIRC

Earth

Fire

Metal

Water

Wood

and If I am to believe Legends of the Five Rings its:

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

Void

are there other cultures that believe in elemental building blocks (Barring the periodic table. Yeah, yer real clever. I'm looking at you.)?

Re: The "Classic" Elements

Alright, so

Light

Shadow

Spirit.

cool.

The Cosmology of Earth in my Else Earth campaign world is complex; as Earth is an intradimensional nexus (a rarity, only 1000 or so worlds in the universe are nexis)

Earth has a number of mystical, spiritual, and metaphysical realms attached to it. The Lands of Legend (where Dragons, Gods, Elves, and Dwarves live), Several "Elemental" planes, "Heavens", and "Hells"...etc. The most "popular" elemental planes are bigger than their lesser considered counterparts. The Plane of Earth is bigger than the Plane of Wood...infact the Eternal Forest in on one of the Great Mountain's plateaus....

Okay who wants to help me out?

(geez don't all raise your hands at once...)

I know the classic Greek and Western Elements are:

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

You left out ether.

Earth moves downward, water to slightly above it, air to above that, fire goes straight up, and ether moves in circles (it's what the heavenly bodies were supposedly made of.)

It's been noted that the four classic elements are just the four states of matter (solid, liquid, gas, energy).

Several years ago, some friends and I tried to come up with the "modern four elements." What we came up with are:

Time

Space

Matter

Energy

It seemed to fit the bill, and led to some cool ideas.

It's been noted that the four classic elements are just the four states of matter (solid, liquid, gas, energy).

Several years ago, some friends and I tried to come up with the "modern four elements." What we came up with are:

Time

Space

Matter

Energy

I would think, these days, that the four basic elements are:

Carbs

Reality TV

Rap Music

French Fries

The Ethereal Plane then?

"In his stoichiology Aristotle adopts the four elements, or radical principles, which Empedocles introduced. He teaches, however, that the celestial space is filled with a body different from the four elements. This seems to be the part assigned by him to ether.{64} Ether, then, is neither a fifth element entering with the other four into the constitution of the terrestrial world, nor, as is sometimes maintained, an undifferentiated substratum, like the apeiron of Anaximander, from which the four elements originated. It is the constituent of celestial bodies. The natural motion of ether is circular; that of the other elements is upward or downward, according as they are naturally endowed with lightness or with heaviness. It is hardly necessary to remark that until Newton's time there existed the belief that each particular body moved towards its own place, upward or downward, in virtue of the light or heavy elements which it contained." http://www2.nd.edu/Departments//Maritain/etext/hop11.htm

Time

Space

Matter

Energy

That works for me, given that those are the four things a universe is required to have to function. Definitely 'basic building blocks'. :)

Time

Space

Matter

Energy

Or

solid

liquid

gas

plasma