The "Classic" Elements

Enforcer84

Re: The "Classic" Elements

Okay who wants to help me out?

(geez don't all raise your hands at once...)

I know the classic Greek and Western Elements are:

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

Which displayed (or were made up of, depending on your source) of the four qualities: Moist, Dry, Cool, and Warm. Air is Cool and Dry, Water is Cool and Moist, Earth is Warm and Moist, Fire is Warm and Dry. Hence Air and Earth are opposities, as are Water and Fire.

In the Middle Ages (and possibly earlier) the relationship was shown in a diagram. I'll give an ASCII version; well, as close as can be done. Keep in mind the original is a square tilted onto a point, while this in more "diamond" or "spindle" shaped due to having to use /'s and \'s:

Fire
       /    \
    Warm    Dry
    /         \
Earth          Air
    \         /
    Moist  Cool
      \     /
       Water

and that the Japanese are...IIRC

Earth

Fire

Metal

Water

Wood

AIUI, the Japanese got those from China. Certainly, those are the five elements in Chinese mythology.

The 5-team has it's origins in the five Confucian virtues: Benevolence (JIN), Justice (GI), Courtesy (REI), Wisdom (CHI), Sincerity (SHIN). The five virtues draw parallels with the five elements of Oriental alchemy: Fire, Metal, Wood, Rock, Water. The colors also match: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black (or sometimes dark blue). To round out the stereotypes, each color has certain mental or physical stereotypes.

JIN	Benevolence	Fire	Red	Hotheaded but considerate
GI	Justice		Metal	Yellow	Physically strong, mentally stable
REI	Courtesy	Wood	Green	Showoff, flashy
CHI	Wisdom		Rock	Blue	Intellectual, somewhat aloof
SHIN	Sincerity	Water	Black	Friendly, outgoing.

Red is often the leader of the team. Yellow lends Red his strength (support) and is often a mediator. Green and Black are up-front fighters; Green is sometimes a bit (or a lot) loopy. Blue is the tactician and problem-solver.

This arrangement gets totally thrown out of whack when the "token female" team member is added. She is almost always given the color Pink, and REI or SHIN usually get swapped out to add her to the team.

A 5-team will almost always work together as a team; it's members will never degrade other members, at least not in any of the others' presence. Conversely, the "bad guys" will squabble incessantly amongst themselves, denegrating each other in their leader's presence. It's a cultural thing; direct confrontation is undesirable, especially with other members of one's group. The rude behaviour of the "bad guys" shows that they really are bad guys, incapable of correct behaviour, among other things.

Should a new member join the team (bringing the number to 6) one of several things can happen. He may be given the color white (or perhaps something else) and be treated as something of a wildcard, not part of the core group. If the team has a "token female" member he may take the "missing" color and embody the appropriate virtue. If the team doesn't have a token female member, she'll take the color pink (or sometimes something else).

A really good look at the mystical 5-team is "Yoroiden Samurai Troopers", which recently started running in the US with the title "Ronin Warriors".

According to Steve Long, as codified in the Hero rules:

Body

Mind

Spirit

Much that has been said of the Eastern Elements is also true of the Western. The Four Elements are associated with all kinds of things beyond the most obvious, literal meanings of the words Earth, Water, Air, and Fire.

For example, they correspond to:

The four seasons

The four cardinal directions

The four letters of the Hebrew name of God

The Physical, Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual realms (note, one more than Mr. Long counts.)

In Western Astrology, each element is associated with three of the twelve signs of the zodiac.

For many years now, I have kept a journal. I always take a notebook with at least four sections (for the last few years, it's been on of those Five Subject notebooks.) I divide it according to the elements and make entries in the appropriate section according to what I am writing about. For example, when I pay a bill, it goes in Earth - money and possessions. When something happens that has to do with my relationships, it goes in Water - emotions. If I'm writing about ideas or a book I've read, it goes in Air - the mind. If I've had a religious experience or something occurs during meditation, it goes in Fire - the spiritual and magickal aspect of my life.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has four feet....

Actually' date=' thinking about it, the qabalistic sephiroth almost qualify. They are elements of the human soul.[/quote']

They are much more than that. They are aspects or phases of Creation.

I never thought of them in that context, but yes, in a sense they can be regarded as universal "building blocks."

I believe there are African cultures that classify phenomena in a tripartite scheme:

Water, Stone, Fire.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary begins to chant in syncopated rhythm:

We come from the river

Living by the river

Go back to the river, turn the world around.

We come from the river

We come from the mountain

Living on the mountain

Go back to the mountain, turn the world around.

We come from the fire

Living in the fire

Go back to the fire, turn the world around.

We come from the fire

Blood is of the river

Bone is of the mountain

Spirit of the fire, turn the world around.

We come from the river

We come from the fire

"In his stoichiology Aristotle adopts the four elements' date=' or radical principles, which Empedocles introduced. He teaches, however, that the celestial space is filled with a body different from the four elements. This seems to be the part assigned by him to [i']ether[/i].{64} Ether, then, is neither a fifth element entering with the other four into the constitution of the terrestrial world, nor, as is sometimes maintained, an undifferentiated substratum, like the apeiron of Anaximander, from which the four elements originated. It is the constituent of celestial bodies. The natural motion of ether is circular; that of the other elements is upward or downward, according as they are naturally endowed with lightness or with heaviness. It is hardly necessary to remark that until Newton's time there existed the belief that each particular body moved towards its own place, upward or downward, in virtue of the light or heavy elements which it contained." http://www2.nd.edu/Departments//Maritain/etext/hop11.htm

Yes; basically, Ether = Spirit = Heaven = Void = Celestial Sphere. All the same in this context. I'd say that the Etherial plane is the same as entering Heaven or the Nether World.

I've seen some Japanese martial arts stuff that was based on "eight directions." Basically take the four cardinal directions, and bisect the angles they form to get four more.

I understand some shamanic systems have 6 or 7 directions.

Besides the "cardinal" directions of East, West, North, South, there is Up and Down.

The seventh direction could be translated as "Inwards" or "Towards the Center."

Another way of looking at it is to think of the directions as directions of movement. In that case the 7th movement is Stillness.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary elaborates: "Think of remaining physically still so as to more fully Be Where You Are."

How about up, down, strange, charm, truth, and beauty?

OK, not classical or old or that shtuff. But you got to admire a "building blocks of the universe" that includes Truth and Beauty. :winkgrin:

25kivd2.gif

While I know enough to know that you're talking about quarks, can you possibly put some context around this?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary would describe Lucius as strange, truthful, and sometimes charming, but not beautiful...

While I know enough to know that you're talking about quarks, can you possibly put some context around this?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary would describe Lucius as strange, truthful, and sometimes charming, but not beautiful...

I hope PhaseKitty does not mind it if I answer:

There are six kinds of quarks. They have been named "up, down, strange, charm, truth, and beauty", though the last two are called by most "top and bottom."

I hope PhaseKitty does not mind it if I answer:

There are six kinds of quarks. They have been named "up, down, strange, charm, truth, and beauty", though the last two are called by most "top and bottom."

Don't mind at all; it's cool.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, Oh Palindromedarian, that I confused you. :D