What power sets do you like, but never play?

proditor

Self explanatory really. In addition to that though, why haven't you played them?

For me:

The growing guy. Some of my favorite heroes are Giant (Champs), Atlas (Marvel), Colossal Boy/Shrinking Lad (DC), Atom Smasher (DC) and Giant Man (Marvel). Yet, I seem to never get to play them. The "why" is that someone else in the group usually has a brick idea already, and I try to accomodate and be a team player. Also, I get stuck GM'ing a lot, so I also don't have as much chance to play as I'd like.

So what's your story?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What power sets do you like, but never play?

What a coincedence, I was just wondering abouit Growth Supers. I would like to expand the question to include:

1) How would they be used in a Standard Champions run? I mean with such characters reaching nearly 60 feet as Giant Man is said to do.

Would this not limit playability? That is if a large percentage of encounters are indoors or such.

So how have other people used Giant Characters in their games? Let's see what kind of "Growth" we can muster from this idea. [Excuse the pun, I couldn't resist :D ]

Stretching/Elasticity powers, with one exception (a Machine Man knockoff, so the stretching was very limited).

I'm not sure WHY I've never done it, other than the 'I hardly ever get to play Supers' syndrome, and the origin issue ... hard to think of a reason for those powers that hasn't been done yet.

What a coincedence, I was just wondering abouit Growth Supers. I would like to expand the question to include:

1) How would they be used in a Standard Champions run? I mean with such characters reaching nearly 60 feet as Giant Man is said to do.

Would this not limit playability? That is if a large percentage of encounters are indoors or such.

So how have other people used Giant Characters in their games? Let's see what kind of "Growth" we can muster from this idea. [Excuse the pun, I couldn't resist :D ]

I've seen it done with a general 'mass alteration' Multipower, adding DI and Shrinking to the mix for indoors use.

Ones I would like to play but never get to, in no particular order.

1) A guy with Temporal powers, even if he doesn't time travel much, it would be cool. While I'm GM for my face to face games 90% even when I'm not it doesn't fit the setting, or the GM isn't comfortable with Temporal powers that would allow such earth shaking ramifications as perpetual youth etc.

2) Growing Guy- Yup, the rest of you aren't alone. I came close to playing one once, but went with something else so that's my fault really. Part of the problem is finding away not to go over DC or AP limits with natural STR plus Growth. And like Proditor, the straightforward Brick slot is usually taken so this overlaps.

3)Awesomely impressive man- As in the good looking bow down and worship me if you aren't running for your life type level of PRE. We're talking a Thor Concept in full god mode etc. I've come close, but one campaign I made for one got cancelled. Another the GM had me tone it down and the guy became a regular brick. Le sigh. Another I did get to play a few times, but that GM's job took them away (Knew I should have broken knee caps)

4) Whirling Speedster man- I never made one. I don't know why. I keep meaning to and I now have Ultimate Speedster with some neat ideas. :) Though finding a GM for him will be rough.

Mentalists - I always wanted to create a Mentalist who was involved in Supervillain rehabilitation, but never met a GM who would allow him.

Multiform Characters - GMs always say I am stealing another PCs thunder/spotlight/schtik

Invisible/Illusionist types - Always shot down.

More later

QM

After having sat here for a few minutes writing, this has ended up as my complete list of "characters I want to play in the future".

First and most obvious: Flying Bricks.

Partly through lack of opportunity, but mainly because I can't quite get them "just right" for any particular number of points. They're a very expensive archetype, once you start burning points on Life Support, Enhanced Senses, and so on.

Swimming Bricks: This is one I am likely to correct in the not-too-distant future. I like Aquaman. I won't go with the full cheese, but I intend to play a similar character soon.

Shrinking characters: I have a neat design inspired by the Atom. Unfortunately, he burns quite a few active points for his main Shrinking power. Furthermore, he needs a bunch of other powers to make him work. Mainly, though, this is a case of opportunity again. But then, they all are.

Gravity based Energy Projector: this is partly a crossover with my hankering to play a flying brick. One of the cheaper options is to play a character like the Golden Age Starman. A martial artist with a magic wand is just fine by me, especially in a fairly low-powered game.

A limited duration Brick: I am fond of both Hourman and the Nightfighter (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/n/nitefite.htm ). The big advantage of these kind of characters is that they are (a) tough; and (B) cheap. If you throw in some martial arts they don't entirely suck when their powers aren't working either. They both probably work better at the lower point level end.

There are a couple of other heroes I want to design, but I doubt I would actually use them as PCs.

The interesting thing about this is that all of these characters are related to models that were around in the Golden and Silver Ages. While the Atom was Silver Age, Doll Man, for example, was Golden Age. Hourman and Starman were Golden Age, but were revived in the Silver Age. They've all been around ever since, at least sporadically.

In short, they're bog-standard classics.

And mostly very cheap designs, except for the Flying Brick.

Mentalist with a focus on telepathy (mind control, ego attack, etc.). They aren't my favorite or anything and I only really like them in the supers context, but I feel dirty bringing one to a game unless everyone is playing one.

Unlike many of you, I have played the growing character and would happily do so again. My preferred concept combines growth and density increase (e.g. turning into a large, living statue) so the character can still get into most places without problem and just use density increase in tight areas.

A straight "Growth" build carries aptial issues, but can be a lot of fun and allows for a range of power levels in your enemies (e.g. you can face really powerful threats so long as you have the space, but have problems with minor threats in tight confines)

A Energy projector who schtick is fire based. I love fire powers. But someone else in the group always tends to be the energy projector.

A nature based character. Animal summoning, Plants bloom whenever your around, weather control. But it never works out. The groups tend to spend alot of time in buildings and in sewers. I dont think we have ever left the city, except for the times we played Super Villians... then we tended to be out of the city alot. hmmm.

A shriking duplicator. Character can shrink and make a small army of him/her self. Think Army Men. :) Tanks, Special Forces, Grenades. Overwelm the enemy with tiny annoying needle like bullets. muahaha.

A character who is luck based. I made one and tried to play her, but the GM didnt like dealing with luck so a majority of her points didnt do anthing. :nonp:

It isn't a power set, but I repeat my lament that for some reason a lot of GMs refuse humanoid space aliens as PCs. Why? I don't know. Some seem snobby about it "Trek aliens..pfah" , others find it 'unrealistic'. Yeah, sure, mutations that advance millions of years in a single generation are okay, demons that want to redeem themselves are totally believable, and getting powers instead of leukimia from a radiactive wombat work... but aliens are unrealistic? *Grumble* Old rant. I know.

Mentalists - I always wanted to create a Mentalist who was involved in Supervillain rehabilitation, but never met a GM who would allow him.

Multiform Characters - GMs always say I am stealing another PCs thunder/spotlight/schtik

Invisible/Illusionist types - Always shot down.

More later

QM

Though I think your GM was a little strict on the Invisible/ Illusion guy, I have been tossed out of campaigns because of the other two.

As Telepathy and Mind Scan can ruin an otherwise complex story, I understand how these powers can be tough for a GM. As a frequent GM, I tend to panic when I see these on a character sheet.

I played a VPP Multiform Mimic for a short while, but as the heroes were usually better built than the villains, I copied the PCs powers more often than our enemies. It eventually did become unfun for the other players (though I must admit I had a ball using the others players powers in ways they hadn't thought of).

One of the few non-brick characters I played was an Invisible Illusionist named Matador. He could turn Invisible and make Illusionary copies of himself. He was alot of fun and though the two are a powerful combination, he was much less game breaking than many other common character types of I have seen played.

As I almost always play Bricks, I have made quite a few Growth characters (I am also a Goliath/ Giant-Man fan) but I rarely play them out of fear of not beng able to assume full size (and STR) during an important indoor fight.

I have also yet to find a GM that will allow Duplication after the first fight or two. Even if you scale the character down so that he does minimal damage, the ability to self-coordinate has always scared my GMs away.

A shriking duplicator. Character can shrink and make a small army of him/her self. Think Army Men. :) Tanks' date=' Special Forces, Grenades. Overwelm the enemy with tiny annoying needle like bullets. muahaha.[/quote']

This is a crazy cool idea and I demand...err humbly request that you wite up this extremely awesome concept for us all to steal...I mean to compliment and praise.

3)Awesomely impressive man- As in the good looking bow down and worship me if you aren't running for your life type level of PRE. We're talking a Thor Concept in full god mode etc. I've come close' date=' but one campaign I made for one got cancelled. Another the GM had me tone it down and the guy became a regular brick. Le sigh. Another I did get to play a few times, but that GM's job took them away (Knew I should have broken knee caps)[/quote']

This is a cool idea too. It makes me think it could be doable with much lower PRE bought with Does Knockback and Double Knockback (example Power from the Ultimate Brick). Add Indirect and you could choose whether you knock people away from you (i.e. send them running away in fear) or towards you (i.e. running toward you in lust or awe).

It isn't a power set' date=' but I repeat my lament that for some reason a lot of GMs refuse humanoid space aliens as PCs. Why? I don't know. Some seem snobby about it "Trek aliens..pfah" , others find it 'unrealistic'. Yeah, sure, mutations that advance millions of years in a single generation are okay, demons that want to redeem themselves are totally believable, and getting powers instead of leukimia from a radiactive wombat work... but aliens are unrealistic? *Grumble* Old rant. I know.[/quote']

I feel your pain.

It isn't a power set' date=' but I repeat my lament that for some reason a lot of GMs refuse humanoid space aliens as PCs. Why? I don't know. Some seem snobby about it "Trek aliens..pfah" , others find it 'unrealistic'. Yeah, sure, mutations that advance millions of years in a single generation are okay, demons that want to redeem themselves are totally believable, and getting powers instead of leukimia from a radiactive wombat work... but aliens are unrealistic? *Grumble* Old rant. I know.[/quote']

This is caused by GM's who are themselves humanoid aliens. Spreading the disinformation that aliens can pass for humans assists their people in remaining secret among us ;)

I always find it amusing when someone invokes "realism" to justify a decision on how to manage a game which starts with the premise that you believe a man can fly (not to mention sprout claws, burst into flame, survive in space unaided or wear his underwear on the outside for years with no one calling the local looney bin).

I don't have a lot of trek-style humanoid aliens (I have other ones but not the bumpy foreheads) in any of my games, but that's purely a matter of taste.

Having said that, I'm much more likely to disallow things because they don't fit my game, than to disallow them because they're unrealistic. I'm playing a Pulp Supers game-- realism isn't the question. It's genre and tone that matter.

I don't play the sneaky types much. Ninja, Illusionists, etc. ... characters that make a player think quink on their feet. Its just easier to bounce bullets and leave the skull sweat to someone else.

I play bricks, demi-bricks, energy projectors and battle-ready mentalists. More fun. Punch evil in the face.

Im relitivly new to hero so i havnt got the chance to play in many campains. Im also not very good at building charecters yet.

I have a few charecters that i really want to try out.

The first is a brick, with a damge sheild. I dont know why but i like the idea of having my enime run at me and right as they get close i activate this damge sheild and bang now your taking damge just for standing next to me. The charecter i have in mind this would probly be a NND stone skin or something. Anyone know a way to have a damge shield that its destuction causes damge to the charecter? Like if the enimes has stone skin and i use damge sheild on him I lose the damge sheild as well as take damge to my armor and lose certian attacks that relay on the same thing as the damge sheild.

The secound is a sound based samurai who attacks with sound waves that increase the range of his slashes. The idea behind him is he control soundwaves so he can smack you in the face with your own words if you talk. He would have High OCV and DCV and low defence.

I have a few ideas but these are two i would really like to play.

I'm in the 'growth powers' group.

I mean, I find the power set interesting, but have tried to play them twice over the years. Perhaps it was bad GMing-- not allowing a chance for all characters to shine, etc-- or perhaps it was inappropriate concept for the campaign, whatever--

but in actual play, I found them to be disappointing. Sure; lots of nifty things to do, but (remember this was years ago, when 2e was the only option) with all the 'freebies' that came with Growth, using the power made you quickly outshine the bricks and the martial artists. And if you were indoors, you weren't much good at all....

If we ever do swing back around to supers, I think I'd like to try it again. Perhaps the concept will work better with the newer, more hampered version of Growth.

Subtle' date=' sneaky characters just don't work in a game unless all players are willing. I can't count the times I've tried sneaking in, only to be followed by the front door being blown to bits.[/quote']

I see a number of problem many games encounter with subtle sneaky characters.

Unless everyone is subtle and sneaky (stepping on that charater's schtick), the choices are commonly "blast our way in" or "sit around and wait while the sneak plays a solo game for 4 hours". Sometimes, the sneak likes it that way - this is a way to go off on hios own and be the center of attention. But either way, the less sneaky characters can't accompany the sneak, and sneaking does take time to play out.

When the sneak gets in over his/her head, it's often difficult for the rest of the team to assist the sneak. This can generate some pretty hard feelings when, say, the sneak encounters something that would have been a challenge for the whole group, and which can and does detect the sneak. It's not always possible to yell for help.

The situation worsens when the sneak decides to be secretive from the other PC's as well, so they don't benefit from the information obtained on these reconnaissance runs. It's doubly worsened if the sneak is also one of those characters who likes to pick up a little (or a lot) of extra loot while sneaking, although this is restricted to certain genres where looting is generally tolerable.