Flyboys: WWI pilots, dogfights, and zepplins!!!

JakSpade

Re: Flyboys: WWI pilots, dogfights, and zepplins!!!

I will see it. I am worried about historical accuracy (zepplins not seen in daytime and were mostly but not all early WW1) but I will still see the movie.

I am a Dawn Patrol player and that is why historical accuracy bugs me.

Went to an advance screening, and without going into spoilers:

Great flight and dogfight sequences.

Tepid romance subplot.

If you've ever seen a "ragtag group of recruits trains together, overcomes their weaknesses and differences, and becomes a well-oiled fighting machine" movie before, you can call each of the "plot twists" in advance. It's good of its kind, but very predictable.

You can tell it's a modern movie, though, because it has a token black person instead of a token Brooklynite.

You can tell it's a modern movie, though, because it has a token black person instead of a token Brooklynite.

What was the character's name? Because there was a black pilot with the Lafayett Escadrile--Eugene Bullard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

Here's another page about him--

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-741

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Another link--

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=705

"Based on a real story"?

Which one?

Yeah, I'm going to see it, of course. Yeah, there'll be historical inaccuracies in the grand tradition of Pearl Harbor and other war epics of late. Yeah, I'll still have fun, even though I'll have to shell out entirely too much money.

If you're interested in the real stories of WWI aircraft pilots, check out http://www.theaerodrome.com/

You're welcome. :)

Matt "Still-love-those-old-warbirds" Frisbee

I am worried about historical accuracy (zepplins not seen in daytime and were mostly but not all early WW1) but I will still see the movie.

I have also heard (but cannot confirm) that the German pilots exclusively fly Fokker Triplanes.

I guess if you go into the movie NOT expecting accuracy you won't be too disappointed (assuming that the flight scenes are exciting).

I have also heard (but cannot confirm) that the German pilots exclusively fly Fokker Triplanes.

I guess if you go into the movie NOT expecting accuracy you won't be too disappointed (assuming that the flight scenes are exciting).

Maybe Albatrosses are becoming an endangered species ?;) I haven't heard anything about this movie but it sounds like fun. Now all I have to do is to wait for it to swim the Pacific !

I can assume that they used Dr.I's exclusively because they are visually distinctive in the wide shots they had to use for their CG dogfights. And yeah, if that's true, then it will truly be sad. I'm presuming that most of the "character" planes are SPAD 7's or 13's -- even though the unit started with Neuport 17's...

The jury's out until I can actually watch this thing.

Matt "Got-in-trouble-for-calling-someone-'Fokker'-with-proper-pronounciation-once" Frisbee

Since when has anybody watching a movies "expected" accuracy? ;)

But it has ZEPPLINS!!:D

The tagline for the movie, boasting of its affiliation with the dreadful films Independence Day and The Patriot, does little to encourage me to set foot in the cinema wherein it is presented.

I will be very surprised if this film is even screened for critics.

The tagline for the movie, boasting of its affiliation with the dreadful films Independence Day and The Patriot, does little to encourage me to set foot in the cinema wherein it is presented.

I will be very surprised if this film is even screened for critics.

I gotta agree with this. The past movies do not inspire me to rush out to see this one. And did anyone see ANY DR1 that WASN'T red?

The tagline for the movie' date=' boasting of its affiliation with the dreadful films Independence Day and The Patriot, does little to encourage me to set foot in the cinema wherein it is presented.[/quote']

I'm repping you just for making a public admission that "Independence Day" was dreadful. EvilMrsPuma and I walked out of that one halfway through. It was a lot like a vampire: first it bit and then it sucked.

I gotta agree with this. The past movies do not inspire me to rush out to see this one. And did anyone see ANY DR1 that WASN'T red?

Believe it or not, quite a few DRI's were painted red or partially red (no specific precentages were quoted in the books I have read). After the success of the Red Baron his unit repainted their planes in red (not all red but with some red on them). Other units added red to plane color schemes. The idea was simple, RFC/RAF pilots had a fear of the Baron and if you could trick your enemy into believing you were the Baron it made you life easier.

"Based on a real story"?

Which one?

It had several titles. "The Great War", "World War One", "War to End all Wars"...same basic story though. Archduke loves girl, man hates Archduke, man kills Archduke, continent-wide powderkeg of hatreds, fears and alliances explodes into bloodbath. The usual. :P

It had several titles. "The Great War"' date=' "World War One", "War to End all Wars"...same basic story though. Archduke loves girl, man hates Archduke, man kills Archduke, continent-wide powderkeg of hatreds, fears and alliances explodes into bloodbath. The usual. :P[/quote']

Which reminds me...

George Crikey, but what a show it was, Sir. Lord Flasheart's

Flying Aces. How we cheered when they spun. How we

shouted when they dived. How we applauded when one chap

got sliced in half by his own propeller. Well, it's all

part of the joke for those magnificent men in their

flying machines.

[sound of plane plummeting, then crashing outside.]

Edmund For `magnificent men', read `biggest showoffs since Lady

Godiva entered the Royal Enclosure at Ascot claiming she

had literally nothing to wear'. I don't care how many

times they go up-diddly-up-up, they're still gits!

I'm colorblind and can't say for sure, but I thought I saw one Dr.I painted black which would be the infamous Black Eagle, who was also a pretty lethal German pilot. In fact, he stuck around long enough to fight the early part of WWII as well, if memory serves.

Matt "Loves-the-Knights-of-the-Air-wargame" Frisbee

EDIT: I found the reference to the pilot I'm talking about -- Josef Carl Peter Jacobs -- who had 48 victories and flew a black Dr.I during WWI. Here's the information page at www.theaerodrome.com:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/jacobs.php

Flyboy Matt

I just saw a commercial for this, I'm glad to see some WW1 dogfights in CGI but something I was thinking as I watched it was I wonder how the CGI dogfights will compare to some of the spectacular dogfights using real aircraft in some of the 60's WW1 movies. The Blue Max has some amazing flying scenes, I know I've seen others but that is the only one I know the title of.

I am disappointed to hear they seem to have missed the opportunity to show off the wide variety of WW1 aircraft. The DR1 wasn't really even that good of an aircraft, the Fokker DVII and Albatros DV were better dogfighters. The DR1 does have a certain coolness factor to it which is probably why hollywood picked up on it.

As far as DR1's being all red :thumbdown one of the features of Richtovens "flying circus" (not to be confused with that other flying circus) was each pilot had their own scheme. I've personally always been fond of the german lozenge "camoflage" pattern, diamonds in purple, blue, green etc.

So I'm glad there is a new WW1 movie but not so glad to hear hollywood is blowing the chance to play with all the cool aircraft of the period. Zepplins are nice though so I guess I can cut them a little slack.

Hope someone picks up the idea and does another movie but with a good story and more aircraft. :rolleyes:

I'll see it though, even if only for the flying scenes, I hate Top gun but always have to sit down and watch the great flying scenes.