Would you play…

Diamond Spear

… in a game where you were allowed to make your character only as a normal person and then the GM would randomly assign you your powers, including increased stats? The idea would be to simulate the “I never planned on being a hero but look what fate had in store for me” kind of background. Add in some activation rolls to the powers and maybe an uncontrolled and keep some of the additional disadvantages (like susceptibility, vulnerability and the like) secret until they actually affect the PC.

I think it could make for an enjoyable game but how about the rest of you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would you play…

… in a game where you were allowed to make your character only as a normal person and then the GM would randomly assign you your powers, including increased stats? The idea would be to simulate the “I never planned on being a hero but look what fate had in store for me” kind of background. Add in some activation rolls to the powers and maybe an uncontrolled and keep some of the additional disadvantages (like susceptibility, vulnerability and the like) secret until they actually affect the PC.

If it was with a solid group of gamers I knew, yes. Otherwise, no.....

This sounds a lot like Villains and Vigilantes.

Sounds fine for a one-shot or a convention game.

Other than that, not so much. I'd rather make a character I wanted to play.

Actually, it sounds a lot like the whole Wild Cards universe. I can see the appeal of it, if you could tell the GM "I hate Bricks, but like Energy Projectors and Martial Artists. Anything along those lines is okay" and if you had the right group/GM.

I've actually played in a couple of campaigns set up like this, and each time the game just kind of... fizzled out. I know I never really managed to feel attached to a character whose powerset had been designed by someone else and assigned to me, and I had the feeling the other players had the same problem.

I was in a campaign like that. It didn't last long but that was due to the GM and group dynamics than the campaign nature. Part of the problem was figuring out your powers. If I had to do it myself, I'd make the characters with more flexibility then put 10 points in reserve. For instance I'd make a multipower with 6 slots and only let them "keep" the first 4 they try. (They can't yet shape the other 2 in their mind yet.) The other 10 points are for things I didn't think of.

hmm.. what if ther variation were each player created one or two power sets, but the GM assigned them randomly to the players (or not so randomly as prefered)?

It's an interesting thought, I'd be willing as a short lived campaign, possibly one where the focus of the game is a "Coming into power" trope, once they became fmailiar I'd want to move on to a Hero of my own design completely.

I would play in a game like this. I also think it would be better as a short run game rather than a campaign. As a side not, my collage gaming group tried to do a game where you made up a power set and then it was secretly and randomly assigned to a different player. While everyone loved the idea, no one wanted to run it. Ah well.

hmm.. what if ther variation were each player created one or two power sets, but the GM assigned them randomly to the players (or not so randomly as prefered)?

It's an interesting thought, I'd be willing as a short lived campaign, possibly one where the focus of the game is a "Coming into power" trope, once they became fmailiar I'd want to move on to a Hero of my own design completely.

And So, Gentle Listeners, We Look Back To Times Gone By. To That All But Forgotten, Distant Memory. We look back to... well the end of July, actually.

A group of friends of mine decided that they were going to play shadowrun, and the GM said that there was going to a twist right off the bat, and then never mentioned again. Now, it actually took until the end of August before they finally got together. And when they did, and they were all seated around the table with the characters, that some of them had actually put close to 4 weeks of solid work into, in front of them, the GM's first official words for the game were, "Okay, I want everybody to pick up their character sheets and hand them to the person sitting to the left of them."

Well, what this meant is that there was suddenly an "eager-puppy" newbie who now had to play a hidiously complicated Rigger/Decker, instead of the nice, simple Adept that he'd created. Another player suddenly had a character who was built around a concept that, while they had no problems with someone else playing it, required them to think in ways they found repulsive. We had someone who hated the magic rules playing a full shaman, and a John Woo fan playing a pacifist. And these are the ones I remember.

The GM had intended it as a way of getting people to play different character types, but failed to understand that some people play the same style of character because that's what they want to play. Some people simply don't like certain character archetypes. I know that there are a lot of people who, if given a character wth a large mental powers EC, would never use anything except Mind Control, to free someone else from a compulsion. Now while this can make for a nice one-shot for and afternoon's roleplaying, if it's a campaign, they're now stuck with potentially over 100 points spent, that they'll never use. Essentially,you eliminate the greatest strength of a standard-points-buy system. Everybody of the same points, can be assumed to be of roughly equal power, overall.

Been there, done that, got the T Shirt, but it dosen't fit me any more... Wait a moment, I've lost a lot of weight, it does fit me... wait a moment again, it is actually too big. Damn

On a more serious note, it was pretty good, it only lasted one session, but none of out caimpaigns lasted very long for various reasons.

I didn't know the other players, but the GM knew everyone. The powers he gave us were designed in part based on what he thought we would like. No giving the fundie and Ace and Gary based character, or the tree hugging hippy guy a gun bunny character foolishness.

Actually did a good job on my character. Never would of taken that power set, but it was very suitable and playable.

On of the GM's better efforts, which is saying something as I had trust issues with him.

My vote is, go for it, it could be very interesting if the players and GM are good, and if they suck, then the game will suck no matter what you do.

I personally love games like this! But I enjoy the surprises and am willing to play just about any archtype. I also try to think of my character in non powered terms first and foremost anyhow. But many of the people I have gamed with don't like the lack of control or just plain don't get certain power sets.

Somethig else to consider is that if powers are assigned at random, then inevitably somone will end up with a much more efficent combo then everyone else.

Bob the pro football player with a gambeling addiction has an ego of 8. While it might make for a very compelling story, he's probably not going to make a very good mentalist or sorcerer supreme. However, if Jessica the dancer and martial artist just happens to become the teams brick or speedster... well, Bob's player is probably going to feel like crap in comparison.

Ive had VERY bad experiences in games like this in the past. For one, I loathe playing myself. If I wanted to play myself, Id go out and have adventures! Second, the GM never gives me the powers I want. Third, I loathe playing myself as a character. Fourth, its almost impossible to get a write-up of a real Player as a game character and have everyone at the table think that everyone was written up "correctly". Either someone is -far- more powerful than they really would be, or someone else is watered down to unrecognizability. Ive gamed with Special Forces officers and paperboys. How do you write them both up in the same game and have everyone feel that its "fair", even if you DO manage to get them on paper accurately?

YMMV

I'd be willing to do it. Could be great, could crash and burn, depending. :P I've done it before, and one of my longest-running characters is an outgrowth of just such a game.

Things I wouldn't like too much:

As mentioned above, the total randomness/GM whim. It worked out OK for me in the past, but especially with a GM I wasn't as familiar with, I'd like a little more input. Like have everyone submit five general power sets ("brick", "fire", "stretchy", etc.) they could live with, and the GM picks one of those. After a few sessions, allow some tweaking if the player particularly dislikes something (changing limitations, etc.).

Extended playing-out of finding out what you can do. This can take a looong time, and can lead to bad things. Person A finds out real quickly, while person B avoids trying/is unlucky in activation rolls/etc. and knows nothing, avoids group. Players get bored, etc. I'd suggest getting through the unfamiliarity section pretty fast. Perhaps have some staged events worked out that will demonstrate the powers quickly - like Spider-Man almost getting hit by a car - he senses danger, makes a huge leap, and sticks to the wall - get a lot out of the way pretty quickly. Fast forward a bit "you experiment a bit, here's your sheet".

I've never seen this sort of game, not suck.

The GM really has to be on his game and have stuff worked out for this kind of game to have any chance.

I actually created a setting to help GMs create a Genesis Campaign. It's called the Crystal Room. I've attached it in a thread somewhere. If you did search on Crystal Room I'm sure you could find it.

Anyway, I've tested it a couple of times. It allows the GM full range to control the information that will allow the characters to have some input as to what kind of powers they might have. But the GM can make it a complete mystery if he wants to. If anyone want's to look it over, I'll hunt it down and put a link to it.

- Christopher Mullins

Ive gamed with Special Forces officers and paperboys. How do you write them both up in the same game and have everyone feel that its "fair"' date=' even if you DO manage to get them on paper accurately?[/quote']

In the example given, you stat out both characters without superpowers, then add superpowers to bring both to the same total points. The SF Officer gets a lot less points spent on superpowers than the paperboy, because his other skills and abilities cost a whole lot more.

While games like this have definite issues, I think they can work if the GM is prepared to put more work into it than to simply have one SuperTemplate per character and randomly assign them. The GM essentially needs to read each character's "no power" writeup, and personality, and construct powers that will fit reasonably, balance with the rest of the completed characters and be of interest to the player.

I'd also suggest that, after an adventure or two, each player's satisfaction with his or her character be discussed - you don't want a player who is stcuk with a character they don't like.

I've played in one game like this, before, and I offer three pieces of advice:

1) make sure the GM knows and likes the players.

2) let the players makem suggestions to the gm for power-sets.

3)don't drag out the "discovering your powers" phase for too long, unless that's the point of the whole campaign.

I have both played in and run this type of game. Both were very successful, and a lot of fun.

The elements that were common to both were GMs who knew the players well, and found out more about the ones they didn't.

Power sets were simple, nothing complicated, and followed a theme and a character that suited the player. Personalities were developed by the players from a "you're lost and awaken with no memory" scenario, disads assigned only came from hunted/watched, physical, distinctive feature, and susceptibility categories. Psychologicals and such were assigned as players defined them through play.

This was mostly possible because we were a group of roleplayers who focused on the story and characters rather than powers and combat...

People discovered their basic powers fairly quickly and further defined and refined through point expenditures and play.

It was a little fast and loose, but overall it was a matter of getting basics out of the way and getting into the grit of the story right away. It was more Dark Champions style with mine, and a bit iron age with the other guy's.

Still a fun game, but like its been mentioned in the past, requires a mature group and a solid story. No point in making things oveely complex with the powers and using situations that quickly bring it into the light helps a lot.

As an example, when I played, there was a point where we were attacked by armed gunmen. Feeling vulnerable, I start to freak out and look for cover, and notice that everyone else is moving in slow motion. After wandering over and snatching the shotgun from one assailant's hand, getting behind them, etc. (and realizing I know how to work a shotgun competwntly) we eventually figure out that I don't slow time, I'm just fast enough that it seems everyone else is slow.

It doesn't take complexity, just know what kind of characters they like. And, if you screw it up, fix it. No one was stuck with what was given, though no one changed anything, everyone was given a choice to continue w/ what they had or change.

I think there is a degree of realism to this concept. Few supers know exactly what powers they get on the onset. Unless you have something central to the campaign, I think there should be some flexibility in how the powers are assigned. Plus there should be some wiggle room in case the players have new ideas.

If you give a PC a multipower with X slots, how will he figure out what all the slots are? It's possible they can have an AP EB and never realize it. How would this be addressed? If it's discovered later in the campaign, why would shaping an AP blast be easier than shapping a Penetrating blast (one was already bought, the other needs to be bought)?

I was thinking you build the character as you go, adding powers, reworking the frameworks, etc until you run out of points and come up with a final version. This would satisfy just about everyone because the players have a way to control their character creation with just guidelines from the GM.

Example,

Every player makes a 150 point normal and the GM runs a short senerio that groups everyone together and gives them their origin. Between sessions, the GM privately tells each player they have 200 points to spend on powers with a particular special effect.

No. I've seen PbEM games advertised with that concept and I'm simply not interested. Let me build the character with the powers that interest me. If the GM assigns a set of powers to my previously-normal PC and the powers don't interest me, or don't fit the personality of the character, I'm probably not going to bother playing him. And especially in a PbEM game, why bother joining and taking up a slot someone else might actually enjoy?

One option would be to have the players build fully powered characters, but let them know that they will be starting out with no knowledge of them. Now, this does mean that some of the innate and persistent powers are going to be pretty obvious when they first come into play. The second part is to place as a character limit that they have to have, say, at least 50 points in mystery powers and 30 points in mystery disadvantages. This means that the guy who creates the minor brick with only 50 STR, could still get the surprise of accidentally ripping a car door off it's hinges, as he finds that he actually has 70 STR and "does not know own strength"

It combines the best of both worlds, and shows that the GM actually trusts the players to play out the discovery phase. You could even have them write up a before sheet, if they have physical alterations as a result of gaining super powers, ala Ben Grimm/The Thing.

Now, that's a game that I would be interested in playing in.