What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

good or bad?

He might still be trying to figure that out himself. All the reviews I've so far seen for 'Inception' are a roughly even split towards the extremes - about half saying it is absolutely brilliant and half saying it is totally incomprehensible garbage.

'Course, I have minimal regard for pro movie reviewers - if this movie has messed them up so much, it has at least one endearing quality.

The Thing

Don't try to puzzle it out, You can't. Carpenter has admitted that he never decided who's shadow it is when the dog makes it's first "kill," who destroyed the blood, or when most of the characters were infected.

The Thing

Don't try to puzzle it out, You can't. Carpenter has admitted that he never decided who's shadow it is when the dog makes it's first "kill," who destroyed the blood, or when most of the characters were infected.

One of my favorite Wold-Newtonisms is the idea that Who Goes There was actually a "secret" Doc Savage adventure. Completely changes the short story when you read it that way. Carpenter's film is one of my all time favorites.

The Thing

I used to think this was one of the most disgusting films I'd ever seen. Then one local friend took me to see some Euro-film. All he'd tell me is that it was "brilliant". The title made me think it was some weird kid's movie. I mean, come on -- The Human Centipede?

How can this thing be? :cry::idjit::sick:

I used to think this was one of the most disgusting films I'd ever seen. Then one local friend took me to see some Euro-film. All he'd tell me is that it was "brilliant". The title made me think it was some weird kid's movie. I mean' date=' come on -- [i']The Human Centipede[/i]?

How can this thing be? :cry::idjit::sick:

Yeah, I've heard of that one... and the guy wants to make a sequel... with 12.

Yeah' date=' I've heard of that one... and the guy wants to make a sequel... with 12.[/quote']

He was very proud; he'd gotten some doctors to consult on exactly how to do the effect to make it as realistic as possible.

He was very proud; he'd gotten some doctors to consult on exactly how to do the effect to make it as realistic as possible.

Really, how the hell do you even ask that question? "Hello, doctor, I have a question. How do I sew people together mouth to anus and make it look feasible?"

Really' date=' how the hell do you even ask that question? "Hello, doctor, I have a question. How do I sew people together mouth to anus and make it look feasible?"[/quote']

Same way Stephen King asked "How long could someone eat parts of their own body and stay alive?"

Same way Stephen King asked "How long could someone eat parts of their own body and stay alive?"

True enough. I'll have to remember this point for the next time I ask a gross yet writing related question of people. "Hey, Stephen King asks these questions!"

The Marine, Sherlock Holmes and Shutter Island

The Marine. In a word; cheese. Luckily it only cost $5.

Sherlock Holmes. Very funny. I was somewhat offput by the kung fu Holmes thing, but it was pretty minor. Enjoyed it. Hope they make a sequel where Holmes actually squares off against Moriarty.

Shutter Island. Saw the "twist" coming about the time the movie started. It was not all that great, but it wasn't all that bad either. The details of the twist were somewhat interesting and a whole lot sickening.

Solomon Kane - Very good film, a must rent if not a must buy when it finally becomes available on DVD in the US. It has more magic & monsters in than the Howard stories, but the Howard stories did have both; It was well enough done that I didn't mind. Purefoy does an excellent job, as you'd expect. I can see why it didn't get a US release; as much as I liked it (and I did), it has a certain cramped B-movie style at times. It's not quite done in the style of an American Blockbuster, and it's very far from a typical art house film. All of that said, it is very good. Sword & Sorcery fans will enjoy the hell out of it.

All three series of Ashes to Ashes: Saw these before, and they were worth seeing. Watching them again through from the beginning was fun. First series was still the weakest, and the show doesn't quite live up to Life on Mars, but on the whole really enjoyed it.

Sherlock Holmes. Very funny. I was somewhat offput by the kung fu Holmes thing' date=' but it was pretty minor. Enjoyed it. Hope they make a sequel where Holmes actually squares off against Moriarty. [/quote']

Holmes was, according to Doyle, a master of Baritsu (a 19th century British version of Jujutsu), so the kung fu Holmes thing is actually cannon. :)

Holmes was' date=' according to Doyle, a master of Baritsu (a 19th century British version of Jujutsu), so the kung fu Holmes thing is actually cannon. :)[/quote']The thing that ultimately made it workable for me is the mental picturing of what was going to happen and the categorical effects/results of each move. I never heard of Baritsu before, nor have I read the original Sherlock Holmes tales. I seek to remedy both conditions sometime soon.

Holmes was' date=' according to Doyle, a master of Baritsu (a 19th century British version of Jujutsu), so the kung fu Holmes thing is actually cannon. :)[/quote']
The thing that ultimately made it workable for me is the mental picturing of what was going to happen and the categorical effects/results of each move. I never heard of Baritsu before' date=' nor have I read the original Sherlock Holmes tales. I seek to remedy both conditions sometime soon.[/quote']

Some interesting stuff behind the art of baritsu. See also Bartitsu.

Sherlock Holmes. Very funny. I was somewhat offput by the kung fu Holmes thing, but it was pretty minor. Enjoyed it. Hope they make a sequel where Holmes actually squares off against Moriarty.

It seems likely, although tricky since they seem to be trying to fit their films into actual Holmes continuity. But it's a successful movie, and such things invite sequels.

Better reviews later, but here is the short list

Salt - Decent Action/espionage movie with Angelina Jolie. Nice action sequences, decent plot, good acting. Worth a afternoon viewing.

She's out of your league. - Not bad comedy about a nerd of a guy hooking up with a really pretty, smart together girl. Its worth a netflix rental. I liked the actors mostly and the story didnt insult me. Its a light weight comedy, not intended to be a serious movie.

The Gates Tv series. Its a cross between True Blood and desperate housewife's. Its not perfect, but fun light summer watching. A good GM could steal a lot of ideas for a Horror campaign.

Goblin - a By the numbers Sci fi Sat night movie. Not bad as a throw away monster movie. I think it was a slight notch above the usual SYFY Sat night movie.

Brooklyn's Finest...Outstanding Cop drama. three different stories intertwine as the movie goes along. An undercover cop that needs to get out while he can, A burn out street office that only has a few days to go until he retires, and a Swat member that is drowning in debt needs to make a move, any move to save his family home. These stories intertwine to great effect. The acting, the look of the movie all are fantastic. The neighborhoods become another character as the movie goes along. Brooklyn's finest is worth the rental. THere is lots of cursing, violence and very flawed characters. But the flaws makes them human and at the end you care even about the criminals involved.