What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Right now I'm watching Batman: The Brave & The Bold and for their intro they send Batman after 'Maw Murder'with the aid of Jeb Stuart and the Haunted Tank. And they actually had the Tank jump a opening drawbridge while playing the same horn sound effect that the General Lee used.

I think I was rolling on the floor laughing. DC needs to bring back this version of the Haunted Tank!

Right now I'm watching Batman: The Brave & The Bold and for their intro they send Batman after 'Maw Murder'with the aid of Jeb Stuart and the Haunted Tank. And they actually had the Tank jump a opening drawbridge while playing the same horn sound effect that the General Lee used.

I think I was rolling on the floor laughing. DC needs to bring back this version of the Haunted Tank!

OH MAN, I have GOT to see this

And he got more women than all the other characters combined. His rivalry with that annoying dummy (the wooden one, not all the flesh-and-blood ones) was entertaining too.

And then there was Devil Baby, followed by Space Baby. And the evil cult run by Richard Moll, which brainwashed the one family's son until he got rescued by his lecherous jailbird dad, the screwy detective, the even screwier and racist old general (his grandfather), and Benson, the only sane man in the bunch. "We're the Step Brothers. We're here for the audition." "Audition! Here?" "Here? If you insist!"

Not to mention the tennis pro (brother to the nut with the dummy) that was having an affair with a mother and her daughter. He was shot, stabbed, strangled, suffocated then hit with a brick :D

Wanted

Not a bad action flick. Pushed the edge of what I could take for suspension of disbelief. Bending bullets, slowing personal time, those I can take. Sniper shots across the city, not so much. It was the "through the window, between the train, through the doughnut hole, nothing but net" bit that stretched it.

I saw Hammer Film's X the Unknown. About halfway through I remembered seeing this on the Bob Wilkins Show (a late-Saturday-night monster/horror movie show hosted by a deadpan cigar-smoking guy). It was enjoyable as much for the good, but low-budget special effects as it was for the cultural values (some of them, hopefully are obsolete now). My favorite notion is that viewing anything horrific will drive an English (or Scottish -- the movie was set in Scotland) woman mad to the point that it's important to send her far away immediately so she will have no reminders of what she has witnessed. More important, it seems, than finding out what the horrible thing that killed her paramour was anyway. For a movie about a giant radioactive blob of mud it was remarkably entertaining.

I've been watching reruns of the 1960s Batman TV Series. I tivo it so I can watch two half-hour episodes back-to-back. It originally aired on Wednesday and Thursday evenings as two half-hour episodes a week, the first ending in a cliff-hanger and the second having the Caped Crusader wrap things up. I was eight when I saw my first episode (something with the Joker -- I tuned in late) but I was hooked from day one. As an adult I can enjoy the campiness I was oblivious to as a child.

Revenge of the Zombies (1943) with John Carradine. John Carradine is a mad doctor working to create zombies for use as soldiers for Hitler.

When the doctor's wife dies under mysterious circumstances, his brother-in-law shows up with a detective in tow to investigate. They are accompanied by their stereotypically easily-frightened "person-of-color" driver, but just about everyone in this movie is a stereotype except for the Doctor's late wife, who refuses to obey orders from a "ratzi".

Right now I'm watching THEM!, which is as fun as ever. And earlier I saw the recent DVD of George Pal's version of The Time Machine, which is still my favorite. It also had a fun and sad little documentary with a scene in which, many years after the events of the movie, George (the Time Traveler, as played by the original actor) returns to his lab and meets Filby (his friend, played by Alan Young) one last time. "Filby... why are you in that military uniform?"

"We're at war with Germany, George, and I must perform my duty! But don't worry, it should be over swiftly. I'll lead the men at the Somme and after we win the Germans will see sense and talk peace, I'm sure. And then we can talk again."

"... Yes. We can talk again. Afterwards."

For those who don't get it, in the movie proper the Time Traveler learns that Filby died in the fighting. And it's handled so very well by two skilled actors that it's oddly touching for old-school SF.

My son got me some movie money for my birthday, so I spent it today.

I got to see RED....pretty good action movie and had a super cast.

Devil, better than I expected. A closed room horror movie. Lots of atmosphere, and kept my interest. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

Easy A. I love me some Emma Stone. A modern twist on the Scarlet Letter, Emma fakes having sex with guys and complications set in. Very funny.

Been watching the popular documentary series from 1977 Connections. In this series, British science historian James Burke explored the evolution og technologies and science from ancient times to modern, postulating that the nature and pace of change is virtually impossible to predict and that the modern world is so complex that it is very difficult for ordinary people to make informed decisions about it.

Not everything about the series has aged well. It was quaint to see a punch card as an epitome of modern technology -- the personal computer seemed unimaginable. Burke's view is highly euro-centric, particularly Northern Europe, and he was dismissive of religion in general. His view of the collapse of colonialism is highly uncomfortable thirty years later. But it's still fascinating stuff.

Been watching the popular documentary series from 1977 Connections. In this series, British science historian James Burke explored the evolution og technologies and science from ancient times to modern, postulating that the nature and pace of change is virtually impossible to predict and that the modern world is so complex that it is very difficult for ordinary people to make informed decisions about it.

Not everything about the series has aged well. It was quaint to see a punch card as an epitome of modern technology -- the personal computer seemed unimaginable. Burke's view is highly euro-centric, particularly Northern Europe, and he was dismissive of religion in general. His view of the collapse of colonialism is highly uncomfortable thirty years later. But it's still fascinating stuff.

I have all three series, the later ones hold up a little better and some of Burke's observations of what's to come next in the third one are right on the mark.

It was a pretty safe bet in 1977 to show punch cards--after all, the IBM 80 format had been used for almost 50 years at that point. I remember checks, telephone bills, and other documents were often on punch cards, with the message, "Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate". I used to love using blank cards as bookmarks in high school*, as the blank surface was perfect for holding notes, and the cardstock itself was a bit more durable than an index card.

Back on subject, I just finished watching "Night of the Comet", a fun end of the world/pseudo-zombie movie.

JoeG

*My high school actually stopped offering a class for keypunch operator the year before I started. IBM announced discontinuing the punch card manufacturing my Junior year.