What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Dresden Files - I liked it for the most part, but I can see why it was canceled (aside from the syfi channel being morons, actually it has everything to do with them being morons, but mostly the morons they hired as writers).

Dialogue was silly to the point of bad throughout most of it. The plots were cool, and I get they wanted the "sucker for a dame" schtick going, but the constant girl-of-the-moment came off as badly forced instead of him being unable to retain a relationship. They didn't get into serious character development (especially between Dresden and the Lt) until the last 3 or 4 episodes in the season. Maybe the show hadn't found its direction yet, dunno. Perhaps if they hung on for a second season it might have gained some kind of coherent plot instead of a magical rendition of a bad 80s PI show.

I thought it was okay myself. Though the reason given for its cancellation seems silly; it did good numbers, but in the 'wrong' demographic. Apparently older housewives loved Harry*, but since they weren't the people the show was made for, it was viewed as a failure and dropped.

* -- I wonder what the verion of Harry Dresden from the novels would think to find out he was the heartthrob of 40-year-old housewives everywhere? Bob the Skull would never let him live it down.

I thought it was okay myself. Though the reason given for its cancellation seems silly; it did good numbers, but in the 'wrong' demographic. Apparently older housewives loved Harry*, but since they weren't the people the show was made for, it was viewed as a failure and dropped.

* -- I wonder what the verion of Harry Dresden from the novels would think to find out he was the heartthrob of 40-year-old housewives everywhere? Bob the Skull would never let him live it down.

Ah! "wrong demographic" translates as "couldn't get advertising targeted at the group watching the show" ... basically they had good numbers, but ads pay for the show itself not numbers. If you can't sell advertising you can't make the show. It's a weird and deranged thing.

I just got done watching yet another defeat for the 2-6 Seattle Mariners.

And the Orioles are 1-5. *sigh*

And I won't even talk about the Washington Senators... who I despise with a passion second only to the NY Yankees.

Here we see someone leaving her mark on baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dog-runs-loose-at-minor-league-game-leaves-her-?urn=mlb,233842

With that music playing, though, I half expected it to comclude with Benny Hill racing offscreen while pursued by both teams, the umpire, an Indian on horseback, and the dog.

Here we see someone leaving her mark on baseball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dog-runs-loose-at-minor-league-game-leaves-her-?urn=mlb,233842

With that music playing, though, I half expected it to comclude with Benny Hill racing offscreen while pursued by both teams, the umpire, an Indian on horseback, and the dog.

And we're not even in the "Dog Days" of summer yet :)

And I just watched the Rays down the Orioles yet again whoo.gif

Narcosys - an hour and a half (just under actually) of nonsense. Dialogue that sounds like hacked together political rhetoric and one-liners that would be more in place in an Atari Teenage Riot song. No acting whatsoever. In the future the entire planet is lit by strobe lights after dark. A computer rules the land, keeping people oppressed with drugs, though if you don't work for the corp drugs are still illegal. The entire story is about isolationism, disillusionment, desperation, and lost hope - it's also shoved into a 30 second sequence near the end of the movie. The other 122 minutes is about violence, techno music, scoring and doing drugs, sex, and parts of it play out like a video game (after each drug score a scene comes on counting how much they scored and its street value with a Level Complete title) ... I think that's supposed to be commentary that people view life as a video game? Not sure, it's all very unexplained, in fact so little is explained that when something is explained you start to unlearn plot elements. Even the big bad Megacorp is a kind of nebulous 'thing' stuck behind monitors displaying an eye staring at you.

Oddly, Hollywood wishes it could make a movie this Cyberpunk. 4 scriptkiddies out of 5 and one solid WTFBBQ??

Defendor.This is a pretty good little movie about a mentally unhinged, mildly retarded guy who thinks he is a superhero. I rented it based on some positive reviews that I saw online, and I have to admit it was better than it had a right to be. It's funny, clever, and it has some touching moments as well.

The movie is sort of a twisted take on an Iron Agey Batman character. The writer hits all the right tropes, but with a dark, knowing take that actually manages not to be annoying. There is a very basic love for the genre that comes out even as the script lampoons the cliches. Tragic origin story complete with death of a parent? Check. Evil master villain and nemesis? Check. Faithful sidekick? Check. Understanding police commander contact? Check. I don't want to ruin anything, but his utility belt and vehicle are almost worth the price of admission. Anyway, it's all there. It's all a little twisted and a little tarnished, but not mocked. This is the kind of writing that all the Alan Moore clones out there in mainstream comics strive for but so often fall short of.

Sure, there are some blatant stereotypes and plot issues along the way, but they are not glaring, and they actually add to whole conceit in many cases.

Woody Harrelson is great as a dangerous, yet vulnerable, man child. He sells the character so well that you are actually touched by his efforts. He manages to come off as a hero in a very crapsack setting. It's out on DVD, and is well worth the rental fee if you can catch it.

I was so impressed with the concept that I am actually toying with a write-up.

NOTE: I also saw Special a while ago, which has a similar premise, but this movie was better. Harrelson was that good.

Senkou no Night Raid-low level supers/espers working for Japanese secret service in 1931 Shainghai. The studio puts a disclaimer at the end of each ep because of the sensitivity of the time period. Worth a look.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Ep#1

Yuusha Raideen(the '70's original)-what can I say, I like both old and new school heavy metal.