What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just watched Zombieland, its going into my list of favorite zombie flicks, highly recommended. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Peter John Dean' date=' a friend of mine (Mojo Bones on the boards) took his first date to see [i']From Dusk Till Dawn[/i].

Was there really anything particularly odd about that, I mean other than being a Tarantino / horror movie? I guess if its a blind date or something but I wouldn't have had a second thought taking my wife to see that when we were first dating (it came out before we met).

John Carpenter's Vampires was one of the first if not the first movie we saw together, of course I knew she had a sword collection and digs vampires so it seemed a perfectly reasonable choice. :)

Paranatural -- Mystery lights

Pretty interesting show. There was footage of "earthquake lights" and ball lightning as well as several other kinds of mystery lights. Good scientific stuff, filled in with paramormal lipservice. :thumbup:

History's Mysteries -- Asteroids (ep. 107)

Nice review of the history of the search for a planet between Jupiter and Mars that resulted in the discovery of, first a few, then many asteroids. Included some info re: the frequency and effect of asteroid strikes, and what we might be able to do to prevent a big one from hittting us.

Igor

This movie was the most hilaious twist on the Pygmalion myth I've ever seen. I can only guess that the critics' lukewarm reception was due to a distain for comedic parody. I give it 4 1/2 hunchbacks out of five. YMMV, as this movie seemed to strike a chord with me.

Naked Archaeologist

Episodes 19-21, What Happened to the JC Bunch? parts 1-3. The host investigates what may have happened to the first followers of Jesus. He speculates that the Kosher Jewish followers of Jesus did not believe he was divine but, like Ezekiel*, he would return when the time is right to gather the lost tribes in a fully independent and unoppressed nation of Israel and establish worldwide peace. These believers were (it is suggested) driven "underground" as the Jews eventually (around 200-300 CE) decided they were a heretical sect and the Christians decided they were "too Jewish".

Futurama:Episode 4/4: Less Than Hero

One of my favorites. Superheroes: Clobberella, Captain Yesterday and Superking (Leela, Fry, and Bender) all in one episode. Cool!

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I never had a G.I. Joe as a kid, but I enjoyed this flick. A few things that bothered me (no-one who wasn't military would notice or care) were that when Duke proposes to [whatever-her-name-was] (they didn't repeat it enough for me to remember) he's sporting non-regulation facial hair. Another thing was when the General announces he's going to disobey orders and everyone's fine with that without asking why! Fortunately, I was able to shush the critical parts of my brain and enjoy the visual fireworks. If I were running a Champions campaign I would definitely file the serial numbers off Cobra and put a Viper sticker over the brand name. :winkgrin:

Went to Crunchyroll, the main legal streaming site for anime these days, and watched a few things. I have a membership there, which lets me stream new stuff that the site has rights to distribute and some old stuff as well.

Cheap flash-style animation seems to be becoming more common in Japan for small doses. And example is the very short, and very silly, Phantom Thief Reinya, which appears to revel in its extraordinary cheapness. Cheap to the point that it reminded me of what amateurs would do with commercial animation programs that sell at Office Depot for fifty bucks. Can't say I'd recommend it, but it's amusing in small doses -- and thankfully each episode is only about three and a half minutes long.

I'd go into some of the other things I found, but the only thing I've found there lately that I could really recommend is the I'm-surprised-it's-not-more-controversial Gundam 00.

Watched Gamer. Ken Castle creates 'Society' and 'Slayers' which are games using real people as the chess pieces through a control system. The number one 'slayer' escapes from the game area.

This is a Nevaldine/Taylor production so I warn you there is realistic damage during the battle scenes and a lot of gratuious sexual scenes.

This weekend I renewed my acquaintance with Roger Corman's classic fantasy comedy The Raven. In this gloriously inexpensive-to-produce "B-movie", Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff play rival sorcerers -- with the benevolent Dr. Craven (Price) required to aid the hapless Dr. Bedlo (Lorre) get his revenge on the fiendish Dr. Scarabus (Karloff). Of course, once they get to the castle of Dr. Scarabus it becomes clear that nothing is as it seems, especially since Dr. Craven's dead wife might not be as deceased as was believed....

The cast consists for the most part of four legendary actors, with a pair of obscure actresses playing the female parts. The three leads, of course, were already legends -- but they were joined by a young man in his apprenticeship, the son of one of the producers who was there for leading-man good looks and not much else but who got the opportunity to show glimmers of the manic side of his craft. The name of this "unpromising" lad? Jack Nicholson..... You might have heard of him.

I watched two classics of the 1950s giant monster genre: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (rumored to have inspired the much-longer-lasting Godzilla movies) and The Monster that Challenged the World wherein giant escargot threaten to eat everybody, but only if they escape from the Salton Sea.

As the resident Kaiju crusader, I need to nip this in the bud. The script for "Gojira" was already made before "Beast" was made.(Gojira was originally envisoned as a giant octopus, but budget restraints altered that plan). The success of "Beast" certainly prompted Toho to go ahead with the project(and spend what was at the time an incredible amount of money on the film), but it was NOT the inspiration for Gojira. If anything inspired "Gojira", it was King Kong, which was a particular favorite of Japanese SPFX maestro Eiji Tsuburaya.

Monster That Challenged the World is a nifty little film....if a bit of a letdown when the monsters are revealed. THAT'S gonna challenge the world? Uh huh....right. :)

This weekend I renewed my acquaintance with Roger Corman's classic fantasy comedy The Raven. In this gloriously inexpensive-to-produce "B-movie", Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff play rival sorcerers -- with the benevolent Dr. Craven (Price) required to aid the hapless Dr. Bedlo (Lorre) get his revenge on the fiendish Dr. Scarabus (Karloff). Of course, once they get to the castle of Dr. Scarabus it becomes clear that nothing is as it seems, especially since Dr. Craven's dead wife might not be as deceased as was believed....

I still think that Corman's The Raven is one of the funniest films ever shot, with its only real rival in horror-comedy being Corman's other film starring Karloff, Price, and Lorre, The Undertakers.

The dialogue was side-splitting! Like Craven's response to the transformed-into-a-raven Bedlo when he flies in through the window while Craven is wangsting over his 'dead' wife Lenore:

"Oh, you grim specter of death, winged emissary of fate, I bid you speak! Where is the shade of m beloved Lenore?"

And the raven/Bedlo says in Peter Lorre's distinct voice:

"How in the hell should I know??"