What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Punisher War Zone

Oh my God that was one of the most bad movies ever. I can only give the entire staff credit for somehow making the extreme violence and gore mix so well with some pretty hardcore camp.

The absolute only thing good about it was seeing Julie Benz with dark hair. And that was real good. The rest? Burn the negatives, DVDs, Blue Ray and delete all the digital copies worldwide and hope that the nightmares stop some day.

:( I really liked that movie.....If I had feelings, they would be hurt.

~Rex....long time Punisher collector.

I like the Punisher. I used to prize my original Punisher mini-series of comics. Heck, I even prized my Punisher series comic books. I liked the Dolph Lundgren Punisher. I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher. I hated this one. It was one of those train wreck shows. It was so awful and yet I couldn't stop watching.

Well, I haven't seen it yet so it doesn't count, probably, but I had to find a movie I could take my mother to next Monday when we next get together. Mom is in her sixties, a published poet and a true cinemaphile. But I had a hard time picking out a movie that would be playing at our choice of cinema that she would like but hasn't already seen. The offerings next Monday looked fairly dire. I ended up settling on a new Disney documentary called Oceans, which should at the very least have some stunning aquatic cinematography. It would probably have looked really good in 3D, but I don't know whether it was filmed that way and in any cases the theater's two 3D screens were both taken.

I like the Punisher. I used to prize my original Punisher mini-series of comics. Heck' date=' I even prized my Punisher series comic books. I liked the Dolph Lundgren Punisher. I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher. I hated this one. It was one of those train wreck shows. It was so awful and yet I couldn't stop watching.[/quote']

I don't see the gripe Really. While I liked the Dolph Lundgren Movie, I didn't consider that to be the Punisher. Thomas Jane's take felt to me that he was channeling Taxi Driver through the whole movie, though I still enjoyed it and thought it was a good time. War Zone, Hell that was basically Welcome Back Frank, on the big screen. We went as a group to see that one and out of that group, everyone's ex military and mostly ex spec forces of one type or another (Rangers Seals and More oh My.....) and we all had a fantastic time, so we're puzzled by the Hate, both as Action movie fans, and Fans of the material. Different Strokes I guess.

~Rex

Recently started watching Justified a TV show about a US Marshall getting assigned back to his home state of Kentucky after gunning down a cartel thug. So far, only watched the first episode but it was pretty cool. Stretches reality a bit, but that makes it all the more fun.

Also watched the pilot to Happy Town. Could be a very fun show and definitely touches on the mind scramble method. Sort of reminds me of Twin Peaks but better in my mind. Not sure if I will like it a lot or lose interest as more mysteries are tacked onto the plot. Some real creepy characters in that place.

Recently started watching Justified a TV show about a US Marshall getting assigned back to his home state of Kentucky after gunning down a cartel thug. So far, only watched the first episode but it was pretty cool. Stretches reality a bit, but that makes it all the more fun.

Also watched the pilot to Happy Town. Could be a very fun show and definitely touches on the mind scramble method. Sort of reminds me of Twin Peaks but better in my mind. Not sure if I will like it a lot or lose interest as more mysteries are tacked onto the plot. Some real creepy characters in that place.

And Amy Acker IIRC (from Angel, Buffy spinoff)

Yeah I think that unlike others show with drawn out story lines which didn't hold my intrest the wacky characters in the town will keep me watching until it really gets going. It reminded of Twin Peaks and the first season of Dark Shadows before all the monsters showed up.

I'm up to season six of Buffy. Netflix makes it easier now. Probably not going to watch Angel though. I'm hovering just below my saturation point for Whedonspeak and nonsensical continuity.

I'm up to season 4 of Angel. it is good, but you might want to leave it for a bit and come too it fresh after you've "gotten over Buffy" and treat it like any other series (that just happens to share some characters with another series).

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle by Miyazaki yesterday. This is one of the most controversial of his films because he adapted an existing novel rather than coming up with everything himself, and there were complaints about the faithfulness of the adaptation.

I was surprised that Jean Simmons and Lauren Bacall did important voices. Actually, I knew about Bacall previously (and marveled that she took the part) but seeing Simmons' name in the credits was a surprise.

I must say Simmons did a wonderful job as a young woman who suddenly and unexpectedly found herself an old crone thanks to a spell. Very well nuanced voice work.

And a nice use of double-blind storytelling where the true villain of the film is not who one expects (and does not appear until about halfway in).

And???

From Whiplash from Iron Man 2 thread

Saw the movie. I liked it. Very Iron Man-y. And War Machine was cool too.

Like the post-credits scene. Very much looking forward to Thor, especially more so if it has the Destroyer armor.

More detailed writeup hopefully soon.

I believe I just mentioned Hidamari Sketch, but I finally got to see the second original-video episode of the first season. Once you become familiar with the series and the characters the episode becomes hilarious.

Especially, it helps to know that Sae (the novelist) and Hiro (the super-sweet junior with body-image issues) have been acting very much like a married couple the entire series. When Hiro receives a love letter from a boy, Sae begins to panic and the other girls, Yuno and Miyako, start speculating on what's going on and what Sae is going to do. (Sae's been putting on a worldly act all series that doesn't fool anybody -- particularly her claim to have had boyfriends everywhere in junior high). Even the eccentric art teacher gets into the act, eavesdropping on the girls all the while fighting a cold.

In the end it's a tempest in a teapot, but nobody finds out until Sae has almost had a heart attack. And the teacher ends up in the infirmary after spending the lunch hour on the roof trying to eavesdrop on a conversation that never happens. And the things that Sae tries so desperately to conceal are even more obvious to the audience than they were before.

arena football tampa bay storm vsarizona rattler

I forgot that was on last night of course being on the cable company's own channel doesn't help. Let's hope the league makes enough to stick around and get a TV deal.

Watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Season One is drek, just horrible stuff right up to the last episode where suddenly all the actors figure out how to act and the drama is interesting. But before that - reminded me why I stopped watching it immediately when it was originally running.

Season Two - almost done, Cordelia is by far my favorite character and I will definitely be watching Angel completely (seen some of it) when it runs concurrently to Buffy.

Actually, I like Buffy the least as a Character, she's too emo and whiny at this point. Willow is cute beyond measure.

Was in a movie mood last week, watched a broad spectrum of quality.

"The Losers" Fairly formulaic action movie, but done well. If I didn't have free tickets I'd not have seen it on the big screen, but worth renting.

"Hidden Fortress" Kurosawa film, major influence of Star Wars, worth watching. Are there any of his films that havn't been redone by Hollywood? I'm slowly working my way through his library of movies, the've all been good.

"Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" Monster flick + Beer = Any day better.

"Van Helsing" Giant plot holes, kinda cheesy, fun action flick.

"Clue" Every game to movie translation wishes it could be as good as Clue. If you have not seen it, go get it. One of my favorite movies.

"Big Bang Theory, season 1" I'm told this is hilarious, focused at my generation, and worth watching. I could not get past the awkward comedy. Skipped around a bit on the disk to see if it got better, a sampling showed no improvement.