Signs your Champions GM is now (fill in the blank)

Hermit

Re: Signs your Champions GM is now (fill in the blank)

Signs that your Champions GM is Kurt Busiek

10) Everything is perfect.

9) Every NPC is so crystal clear in your head that you are in love with everything.

8) Every detail makes perfect sense.

7) The right lines are spoken at the right time.

6) No NPC's step on the toes of any other.

5) PCs and NPC's need each other and it makes sense.

4) There are no plot loopholes.

3) When there's a crisis, other people show up to fight it too, but you don't care, you love it anyway.

2) Even Normals can be heroic...

1) Too bad you're lucky to get four sessions of this game a year...

You are now waiting for the next issue of Astro City.

Please drive carefully.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signs that your Champions GM is Kurt Busiek

10) Everything is perfect.

9) Every NPC is so crystal clear in your head that you are in love with everything.

8) Every detail makes perfect sense.

7) The right lines are spoken at the right time.

6) No NPC's step on the toes of any other.

5) PCs and NPC's need each other and it makes sense.

4) There are no plot loopholes.

3) When there's a crisis, other people show up to fight it too, but you don't care, you love it anyway.

2) Even Normals can be heroic...

1) Too bad you're lucky to get four sessions of this game a year...

You are now waiting for the next issue of Astro City.

Please drive carefully.

Sounds like somebody's in LOOOOOOOOOVE... :)

But, yeah, I sure do wish those game sessions came more often... sigh.

Signs your Champions GM is now Mark Waid

1) When he runs a disappointing adventure and you complain he reminds you of that great Kingdom Come adventure he ran years ago.

2) Months and months can pass between his games, with him starting new games during the interim yet still complaining about how he doesn't have the time to finish the original campaign.

3) Characterization of NPCs is more erratic than a hummingbird's flightplan.

Signs your Champions GM is now Grant Morrison

1) Occasionally during games something mind-blowingly weird doesn't happen to your character.

2) Adventures are prefaced with a suggestion of what drug will maximize the experience.

3) At the end of the game you aren't sure if you were entertained or irreparably damaged.

Signs your GM is Doctor Doom

10) Drink servers look suspiciously like Doombots

9) Every plan is just a little too perfect, like he were trying to iron out the holes in it.

8) Steal the Power of Galactus woven into nearby tapestries in the gaming room.

7) That annoying Reed Richards keeps calling on the phone asking what he's done with Susan this time.

6) Pizza Delivery is ALWAYS on time.

5) You've played this session before, haven't you? Is that a time platform under the gaming table?

4) No matter what, no matter how much you want to kill him, he always has an escape route.

3) Master Villain Soliloquies seem a little too close to home.

2) Power grid goes down for eight blocks when he powers up that electro-battlemap.

1) When you finally defeat the enemies of the evening, he informs you it's just another step in HIS master plan...

Signs your Champions GM is now J. Michael Straczynski:

1) Obscure details from the first gaming session end up being critical to beating the Big Bad Guy in the last session.

2) Your campaign takes five full years to play out, and you almost never have one-shot adventures.

3) Half the characters in your group have addiction issues.

4) NPCs get as much screen time as the PCs, and a lot of the time they get better dialog.

5) Child PCs are verboten, and any child NPC who shows up is dead by the end of the adventure. Guaranteed.

6) Your campaign backstory goes back one million years--and you're expected to know ALL of it.

Signs your Champions GM is now Lucus:

1) Aliens are among us, and most of them are goofy or MIGHT be intimidating if only they were three times as tall!

2) Your character's romantic interest turns out to be sibling in the middle of the story.. yuck!

3)Turns out magic is now based on small bacteria in your blood cells. Who knew?

4) The GM actually penalizes you XP for great dialog, because "That's not the way I wrote it!"

And You must spread some Reputation around, yada yada yada. (Or Yoda Yoda Yoda, as the case may be.)

Does anyone want to take a shot at Warren Ellis or Todd McFarlane?

I'm pretty sure the Todd McFarlane GM runs a game of around 60-75 sessions, in which there's lots of action and excitement, but no real plot points get resolved.

Does anyone want to take a shot at Warren Ellis or Todd McFarlane?

Signs your GM is now Warren Ellis:

1) Everything is part of an epic conspiracy. The Big Bad, the other Supers, the Men in Black, what's on TV, what you had for dinner last night, where your dog chooses to perform his bodily functions: Everything.

2) The big ideas of the campaign are fascinating, compelling, amazing.

3) The actual combats last about one turn, tops, and major bad guys are either invincible or punked.

4) Most "opponents" just turn up to give a speech and then vanish.

5) The only way the government could be more stupid and corrupt is if Millar took over.

6) Somehow, despite all this, it's still good.

Signs your GM is now Warren Ellis:

1) Everything is part of an epic conspiracy. The Big Bad, the other Supers, the Men in Black, what's on TV, what you had for dinner last night, where your dog chooses to perform his bodily functions: Everything.

3) The actual combats last about one turn, tops, and major bad guys are either invincible or punked.

4) Most "opponents" just turn up to give a speech and then vanish.

5) The only way the government could be more stupid and corrupt is if Millar took over.

6) The things that make a really good superhero game are missing, because that is just too tradiniol, and the GM wants to be edgy.

7) There is always an homage to things in other games/the source genre, but in this game they are mocked and ridiculed.

8) Only one out of every 6 adventures is good, but when it is that good, you almost are willing to stick around for everything else; and the bad stuff sucks harder than any game you have ever played.

Sorry Oddhat.

Yeah I don't really care for his stuff - only two thing he wrote are any good (IMO|) and we can blame the travesty that is the Authority on him. Ick ick ick ick.

Sorry Oddhat.

Yeah I don't really care for his stuff - only two thing he wrote are any good (IMO|) and we can blame the travesty that is the Authority on him. Ick ick ick ick.

No worries, I partially agree. On the other hand, Planetary was good enough for me to forgive him a lot. As to the Authority, I liked Ellis' run on Stormwatch and the Authority; they were actual heroes at that stage. Then Millar came in right after the death of Jenny Sparks and the series went from spotty but good to pure drek.

No worries' date=' I partially agree. On the other hand, Planetary was good enough for me to forgive him a lot. As to the Authority, I liked Ellis' run on Stormwatch and the Authority; they were actual heroes at that stage. Then Millar came in right after the death of Jenny Sparks and the series went from spotty but good to pure drek.[/quote']

Yeah. Planetary is one of the best things I've ever read, and I liked most of the Ultimate Galactus, but I've hated everything else of his I've ever read. :)

I'm surprised nobody's posted one on Joss Whedon yet. I don't know his stuff (besides Firefly) well enough to do it myself' date=' unfortunately.[/quote']

I suspect one of them will involve having two more PCs than the table can handle, but nobody can bear to kick any of the players out of the game.

That and tiny little girls can (and regularly do) bear the crap out of large numbers of (seemingly) more powerful opponents.

I suspect one of them will involve having two more PCs than the table can handle, but nobody can bear to kick any of the players out of the game.

That and tiny little girls can (and regularly do) bear the crap out of large numbers of (seemingly) more powerful opponents.

And any love affairs will lead to tragedy. Falling in love is an automatic 20 point Disad...

You know your GM is Joss Wheedon when:

1) Female PCs and NPCs are built on at least 20% more points than male PCs and NPCs, always.

2) Female PCs always get a power boost in the final fight against a male opponent.

3) Villains regularly join the Heroes and become romantic interests. They also lose at least 30% of their character points when this happens.

4) Heroes who go Evil get at least a 30% character point boost.

5) NPC dialog is fun, zippy, and totally interchangeable.

6) The GM's romantic problems are pushed into the lives of the PCs and NPCs, no matter how out of character that may be.

7) The GM puts lots of lesbianism, including graphic make out sessions, into the game, while not quite understanding the lesbian experience. His mentioning of gay themes is always a joke meant to take the piss out of male characters. He brags about how this marks him as tolerant.

8) He also boasts about how including plenty of sexy, violent, over-pointed female NPCs make him a feminist.

9) He ignores his own established world background, house rules, and continuity all the time.

10) PCs and NPCs have absurdly variable power levels. You get the feeling he doesn't bother to write up NPCs at all.

11) When he's happy, he's vastly entertaining. When he's depressed, you have no idea why you came to the game session.

You know your GM is Joss Wheedon when:

3) Villains regularly join the Heroes and become romantic interests. They also lose at least 30% of their character points when this happens.

That's because they lose their Hunted:the Slayer and various evil Psychological Disads and have to lose some of their uber kewl evil powerz in compensation.

4) Heroes who go Evil get at least a 30% character point boost.

That's because they gain Hunted:the Slayer on a 14-. ;)

You know your GM is Mark Millar

1. All the npc in the game start acting different.

2. PC Decisions are now made by the GM.

3. Everyone is evil or incompetant; often both.

4. He complains mightily about GMing superheroes.

5. The body count rises exponetially

6. Better GM's parody his game sessions.

Karmakaze' date=' transmetahuman, OddHat, and FenrisUlf, I'd Rep each and every one of you if I weren't getting that pesky "You must spread" message. Good stuff, all of ya![/quote']

I dunno... when I'm told by an authority to "spread 'em," I typically tend to do it... ;)

Now, how about a writeup of Joss Whedon when he's doing Firefly? I've never really seen any of those issues mentioned during THAT show...

I dunno... when I'm told by an authority to "spread 'em," I typically tend to do it... ;)

Now, how about a writeup of Joss Whedon when he's doing Firefly? I've never really seen any of those issues mentioned during THAT show...

I loved Firefly and Serenity. Have both on DVD, told friends about them, the works. Toughest characters on the show were women (Mrs. Reynolds, River, possibly Zoe), River gets several random power upgrades and suffers random collapses, the Reaver's back story is a retcon, River's back story is retconned in Serenity, the witty dialog is sometimes too much in Wheedon's voice rather than that of the characters, romance is pain, and despite it all the show is still good. That said, thinking of the death of Wash and Jenny Calendar, I have one add on:

12) Your GM is Joss Wheedon when a major and popular PC is killed just to prove that the danger is real.

12) Your GM is Joss Wheedon when a major and popular PC is killed just to prove that the danger is real.

12.5) ...Even if at the character is brought back from the dead at the start of the new season.

Signs Your Champions GM is now Quentin Tarentino:

1. You get to listen to Ironclad and Defender dialogue about foot massages and the true meaning of Madonna's "Like a Virgin" for a half an hour.

2. The Champion's Jet has "Pv$$y Wagon" painted on the back.

3. The Black Harlequin dances to "Stuck in the Middle with You" before springing his death trap.

4. Your entire team is con stunned by Dr. Destroyer's energy blast and you hear him whisper, "Bring out the Gimp.":thumbup: