WWYCD: Dependent no more

Hermit

A cosmic being (perhaps the Examiner), for reasons of his own, suddenly grants your character's DNPCs ehanced stats, superpowers, and if need be, youthens them to their prime or heals them of all disabilities unless they already had powers. They become superhumans... at least 350 point characters.

The powers, btw, seem to match their personalities but are not silly by nature.

While the title is What Would Your Character Do, what would the former DNPC do with their powers also applies :) What would your characters encourage them to do with the power?

Re: WWYCD: Dependent no more

Blackcat - well that happened, sorta. She had her school/senior student as DNPC. When her ID went public, he senior student started a group of costume wearing masked "supers" (all martial arts trained, but no real powers).

Meebs two DNPCs - George Peterson and Stephanie McDonald* Both got powers - one doesn't age, and the other heals like a highlander or Claire Bennet. They are very young, but have got involved a few times.

Termival Velocity's Girlfriend has some magical capacity, and would likely become a supermage teammate. :)

Smokeater has no DNPCs - part of the campaign rules.

Sift's DNPC is Lynda Crighton from Nightengale books (normals unbound) and the regular customers there. They would also likely become supermage teammates. :)

In almost every case, the PC would support whatever decision the NPC made.

* Yes that is an in joke. :)

It occurs to me that none of the three primary PCs of mine have a DNPC. Looks like I'm outta luck!

I'm stretching to find the last hero I made who has DNPC...

Ah! I made an adaptation of my CoH healer Plasma Witch. Her DNPC however is an orphanage full of sick children. So apparently the Examiner has done her a big favor! And the kids use the powers to skirmish with one another recklessly, steal from local stores, and cause all kinds of problems that young kids you can't control tend to do.

Flesh Gordon - "The Cosmic Examiner has granted you vast cosmic powers? Baby, that's wild! Wow! You can join me in my never ending battle against evil! We'll stand together against the forces of darkness! Whoa! I'm ... my trousers? They're around here, somewhere. Hey, you know Cathy, right?"

"Baby?"

(Sound of explosions)

Flesh Gordon - "The Cosmic Examiner has granted you vast cosmic powers? Baby, that's wild! Wow! You can join me in my never ending battle against evil! We'll stand together against the forces of darkness! Whoa! I'm ... my trousers? They're around here, somewhere. Hey, you know Cathy, right?"

"Baby?"

(Sound of explosions)

Oddhat, I don't say this enough...

but Flesh Gordon is just great :)

Wow, that would mean every DNPC my character could have would be at 350 points...

The problem is, I have DNPC: Girl du jour (8-)!

I'd be breeding superheroines - and the occassional supervillainess - as fast as...

well, as fast as I could! :smoke: Ye striped cats!

Jake the Troll - has his parents, family, and friends as DNPC's. However, he can occasionally grant them superpowers as well, in the form of magical clothing or supernatural baked goods. He's done so on occasion, if he wants someone to go D-hopping with him. If this happened, it really would be just a "same song, second verse" sort of thing.

Icon - Emma has her dad, the police lieutenant in charge of Special Cases, her best friend Amy, and her ex-boyfriend. She broke up with her ex because she 'wasn't interested in the relationship' (ie, she was out superheroing too much), and the others already know about what she does. Thus, she'd shrug and try to join forces! With the ex-boyfriend, she'd probably try to feel him out to see if he wanted to be a superhero, and if he did, she'd try to get back together with him.

Shinji Miromoto - no DNPC's.

Luna Moth - ...is in serious trouble. Two of Diana's DNPC's are her father and her sister, both of whom want to see the Moth captured and have no idea what so ever that she really is family. The only good thing about this deal is that her grandfather and mentor will be able to make his own comeback.

The Flying Kittens - don't really have DNPCs unless you count their classmates. And you can probably imagine the chaos 20 to 30 superpowered gradeschoolers would cause.

While the Kittens are glad to find their friends now have superpowers, they and the local heroes will have their hands full trying to keep the other super-kids on the straight and narrow.

This one I cant do.

Natsha is a second generation hero, and her father retired (more or less) from the Business. While built on more points (and not really worth more than 5 or so points on the DNPC chart), he does have all kinds of trouble seeking him out - he needs his butt saved on a regular basis. So, we cant power daddy dearist up.

Great Beyond has her sister Miranda, but she's already powered up too - she's the physical manifestation of an all powerful artifact that's the key to manupulating time and space (think Princess Astra and the Key to Time from the Doctor Who epsiode The Amargeddon Factor). She tries to keep her head down and avoid her destiny as much as possible and let GB do all the heavy lifting.

So, no - I have to sit this one out by the nature that it's already happened to me.

You mean DNPCs aren't supposed to have superpowers?

Kodiak's sister was a late bloomer, and not having to worry about protecting her if their 'family' enemies found them was a relief -- the time it took to figure just what her powers were was a little more nerve wracking...

Speedzone has a much easier time dealing with Janice in armor, than the time the Examiner decided to giver her Speedzone's powers (leaving him powerless). Even though the fact her powers come from a focus leaves her vulnerable since his main 'hunted' knows who he is in secret ID...

It happened to my character, Philip Blake, a regular detective. His little sister was paraplegic. After helping a sorceress, his sister was cured and secretly given magic powers. She made her powers known after she was possessed by a villain. She kept her powers after she was freed. Now my character has a DNPC who is much more powerful than he is. She's still under 18, so he's still responsible for her. He just can't stop her from doing whatever the heck she wants to do.

Professor Demigauss does not have any DNPCs, only associates and minions (see the Four Summoners thread). As all of his associates are superpowered villains already, it would have to be one of his minions, preferably his contact in the Bardalucci Crime Family, Michael "Mickey Blue Eyes" Spinelli. Mickey would gain super strength, enhanced tracking capabilities, and his pump action shot gun would gain the ability to fire different types of projectiles on command. His trademarked metallic blue sunglasses would provide enhanced sight and improved levels of flash defense. He would become a feared member of the Capital City criminal underworld and more effective at pushing Professor Demigauss's agenda of taking control of the city. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

You mean DNPCs aren't supposed to have superpowers?

Kodiak's sister was a late bloomer, and not having to worry about protecting her if their 'family' enemies found them was a relief -- the time it took to figure just what her powers were was a little more nerve wracking...

Speedzone has a much easier time dealing with Janice in armor, than the time the Examiner decided to giver her Speedzone's powers (leaving him powerless). Even though the fact her powers come from a focus leaves her vulnerable since his main 'hunted' knows who he is in secret ID...

My problem exactly. Checkmate's DNPCs are his wife, Laura - the Battlesuit 'Iron Star', and his son, Denis Jr. is the mutant Control (Another character of mine.)