Character: Socially Conscious Man!

OddHat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Character: Socially Conscious Man!

I just designed him because I was annoyed by the Superheroes Don't Solve Real Problems whining from the Millar crowd.

Obviously, this would never work for the Millar crowd. He doesn't seem to be an overwhelming jerk attempting to make the world a better place by taking it over in the author's emotionally stunted revenge fantasy.

Other than that, looks good. :thumbup:

D

I played a character with a very similar outlook on life in one of Lemming's games. The character was lots of fun (he was completely naive in many ways and easily mislead by other characters). He didn't have powers to fix social problems (he was a brick with "concrete manipulation" powers), he just always felt responsible for everything that happened to anyone he felt was "disadvantaged." Of course, his zeal to help could be a bit over the top at times. That's what made him fun.

Stereotypical Evil Genius: You've won this this round, Socially Conscious Man, but this is all far from over! [obsconds in Big Boy shaped escape enablement vehicle and spends 30 years cryogenically frozen in orbit before returning to plague humanity once again]

Ezekial Blackthorne: Ezekial is in his office on the top floor of Blackthorne Enterprises' corporate headquarters. He's at his desk drinking coffee and reading the Campaign City Times when he comes across an article on Socially Conscious Man's latest activities. Shocked and appalled, Mr. Blackthorne spews coffee everywhere, coughs, and then, after regaining his compossure, presses the office intercom button...

"Miss Westlake, please bring me a towel, and a dry shirt."

Devilfire: [takes one look at SCM's character sheet] "You...Have...Got...To...Be...@#$%ing...Me..."

Socially Conscious Man is not about politics; Socially Conscious Man is about you.

And, from a different point of view, he's about why Superheroes deal with alien invasions and super criminals, not city planning, and the sorts of things you can do for 350 points.

You win this round, but mark my words the dread god Ferrous Epoch will sup on the brains, drink the blood, and consume the soul of SCM when all is said and done.

TB

I don't pretend to speak for SCM, but I imagine he would acknowledge FE's worshipper's right to worship, but at the same time encourage them to form the Reformed Church of Ferrous Epoch (RCFE), in which Drum Circles, Guitar Masses, and Talking about Feelings replace Ritual Human Sacrifice. Ferrous Epoch's domain would be relegated to altering his own entry at religioustolerance.org.

I don't pretend to speak for SCM' date=' but I imagine he would acknowledge FE's worshipper's right to worship, but at the same time encourage them to form the Reformed Church of Ferrous Epoch (RCFE), in which Drum Circles, Guitar Masses, and Talking about Feelings replace Ritual Human Sacrifice. Ferrous Epoch's domain would be relegated to altering his own entry at religioustolerance.org.[/quote']Well, until the Orthodox Church of Ferrous Epoch (OCFE) arrives at said guitar mass, gathers up all of the hippie dippies and starts feeding them head first into wood chippers. Then burning the church to the ground.

Since said RCFE is filled with nothing more than bead wearing normals, and the OCFE are leather, chain, sunglass wearing uber-kewl dressed expressions of disaffected youth, they will inexplicably be able to get away with doing this act and walking away. Hinting at a wider conspiracy within the local government and hightening their ambient kewlness because they get to have a lovely shot of trenchcoat wearing peirced and tattooed types walk away into the comic frame with the Church burning in the background.

:eg:

TB

Well' date=' until the Orthodox Church of Ferrous Epoch (OCFE) arrives at said guitar mass, gathers up all of the hippie dippies and starts feeding them head first into wood chippers. Then burning the church to the ground. [/quote']

I saw that movie. Evilspeak, IIRC. You left out the carnivorous pigs.

I'm assuming SCM ends up killing his game-world's version of Rorshach, for many of the same reasons as in Watchmen.

SCM's writeup looks good, but you forgot a couple of things:

Rep: Invented the Internet

Perk: Has an Oscar

Socially Conscious Man IS Al Gore, right...? :)

Socially conscious man is not a politician. Unlike politicians, Socially Conscious Man really can solve all of society's real problems. However, Socially Conscious Man accepts peoples right to have social problems, and the right of politicians to claim to be able to solve them. He merely urges due diligence and caution on the part of the press and public in assessing those claims, and that politicians act responsibly and with integrity, humility and restraint in making them.

Socially conscious man is not a politician. Unlike politicians' date=' Socially Conscious Man really can solve all of society's real problems. However, Socially Conscious Man accepts peoples right to have social problems, and the right of politicians to claim to be able to solve them. He merely urges due diligence and caution on the part of the press and public in assessing those claims, and that politicians act responsibly and with integrity, humility and restraint in making them.[/quote']

You sound like a future politician OddHat.

Socially conscious man is not a politician. Unlike politicians' date=' Socially Conscious Man really can solve all of society's real problems.[/quote']

I don't think it's fair to say that politicians can't really solve the problems of society. You can't really say they can't do it when they've never actually TRIED, after all....

However, Socially Conscious Man accepts peoples right to have social problems, and the right of politicians to claim to be able to solve them.
So SCM sees politicians' penchant for talking out of their backsides as a right? I guess it must be...there are certainly enough of them doing it, and none of them are getting arrested.

He merely urges due diligence and caution on the part of the press and public in assessing those claims, and that politicians act responsibly and with integrity, humility and restraint in making them.
So, basically, SCM expects the public to be educated and vigilant, and elected officials to be honest and accountable.

Yeah, lemme know how that works out for ya. :D

/cynic