Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

It isn't me. I'm on a few gun forums, but I'm not even sure if they allow avatars. =) No, I'm not really a military firearms focused guy. No offense taken at all. I'm not "tacticool" (though I do use that term, mostly mockingly) all that much outside of maybe my shotguns. I have only recently purchased any firearms that had any rails on them (both pistols, of which I've mounted a light on one of them), and I don't even know what you're talking about with "PC," though I am aware of what an Acog is.

I do own one red dot sight. Its an ultra-dot, and its on my S&W Performance Center 629 V-comp... mostly because I bent the rear sight on it trying to compensate for the huge blade sight they have on it, and I wanted to try one anyway. It looks stupid. I'll replace it with iron sights again in the future, either an XS 24/7 express sight or a more traditional sight with maybe a gold bead front sight.

The most "military" firearms that I'm interested in are shotguns of varying types, a pistol caliber carbine perhaps, with a bullpup design being desirable. I do have a vague interest in some of the gas-piston style AR platforms, but I dislike the idea of the 5.56mm round as I have an affinity for fat, heavy bullets, but not necessarily giant magnum type stuff. I stopped hurting myself on purpose many years back and would like to continue that trend as the arthritis is beginning already and its not looking good for the future. (Oddly, even though steel and concrete don't hit back, they still hurt you in the long run when you try to beat them up.)

The biggest scenarios I worry about, gun-wise, in order, are: self defense, home invasion and zombies. The first one is pointless since we don't have CCW here in Illannoy. I do not consider myself an "operator," a "ninja," a "gunny," or any such silliness. I have no affiliation with, nor did I participate in the armed forces. My attempts to do so were stopped by my father, and subsequent attempts were blocked by my being diabetic. I'm not bitter about it. =)

I do like to use the same avatar on all forums when possible, but I just don't participate in them nearly as much anymore and don't really keep too much track of it when emails aren't sent to me to check it out. =)

And, in games, its like my tag-line says... I think its just fun. I like ridiculous stuff in games. =) If I thought I could actually handle it, I'd love to have a revolver that fired 12 gauge shotgun slugs or sabots out of it. Sure, it'd probably be like 3 or 4 rounds, but hell, they'd be noticed... =) Alas, I think my poor wrists would complain even more.

I have a friend who has a .450 bushmaster. He loves it for hunting hogs in Texas.

I think if I was going for something along those lines, I would have a hard time not choosing the .458 socom, or the .500 Beowulf. ;)

It isn't me. I'm on a few gun forums, but I'm not even sure if they allow avatars. =) No, I'm not really a military firearms focused guy. No offense taken at all. I'm not "tacticool" (though I do use that term, mostly mockingly) all that much outside of maybe my shotguns. I have only recently purchased any firearms that had any rails on them (both pistols, of which I've mounted a light on one of them), and I don't even know what you're talking about with "PC," though I am aware of what an Acog is.

I do own one red dot sight. Its an ultra-dot, and its on my S&W Performance Center 629 V-comp... mostly because I bent the rear sight on it trying to compensate for the huge blade sight they have on it, and I wanted to try one anyway. It looks stupid. I'll replace it with iron sights again in the future, either an XS 24/7 express sight or a more traditional sight with maybe a gold bead front sight.

The most "military" firearms that I'm interested in are shotguns of varying types, a pistol caliber carbine perhaps, with a bullpup design being desirable. I do have a vague interest in some of the gas-piston style AR platforms, but I dislike the idea of the 5.56mm round as I have an affinity for fat, heavy bullets, but not necessarily giant magnum type stuff. I stopped hurting myself on purpose many years back and would like to continue that trend as the arthritis is beginning already and its not looking good for the future. (Oddly, even though steel and concrete don't hit back, they still hurt you in the long run when you try to beat them up.)

The biggest scenarios I worry about, gun-wise, in order, are: self defense, home invasion and zombies. The first one is pointless since we don't have CCW here in Illannoy. I do not consider myself an "operator," a "ninja," a "gunny," or any such silliness. I have no affiliation with, nor did I participate in the armed forces. My attempts to do so were stopped by my father, and subsequent attempts were blocked by my being diabetic. I'm not bitter about it. =)

I do like to use the same avatar on all forums when possible, but I just don't participate in them nearly as much anymore and don't really keep too much track of it when emails aren't sent to me to check it out. =)

And, in games, its like my tag-line says... I think its just fun. I like ridiculous stuff in games. =) If I thought I could actually handle it, I'd love to have a revolver that fired 12 gauge shotgun slugs or sabots out of it. Sure, it'd probably be like 3 or 4 rounds, but hell, they'd be noticed... =) Alas, I think my poor wrists would complain even more.

Yah, I'm more of a line walker in that respect... I started out as a "knife and sword" buff. And was led kicking and screaming to my love of firearms. And then later my enjoyment of gear... though I would not consider myself a gear-head, and also tend to make fun of the "tacticool" guys, though I'm probably closer to it than I'd like to admit, I just don't buy Parclet just because of the name, I'll take any gear if it works right and complements my training/feel.

A PC is a Plate Carrier, armored vest with the SAPI plates inserted. Mine is second string, mainly made for airsofters, but I feel that If I need it, I probably won't be alive long enough to actually wear it out... (defense is always easier, however they (outside your perimeter) are always more numerous, and better supplied). I don't, personally like the Acog because quite frankly that iris on the "eye" end is too small for a point scope, however, I have seen that they've started to move the point scope up on the newer models...

I did my time in the infantry, and even worked in "special interest platoons" who did some back up work for Special Forces that amounted to falling asleep in a HMMWV about 3 miles away from the action and never actually being called into the scenario, but it was good training, and I try to keep it up, but I'm still ending up old, fat and lazy. And then a stint with the 82nd Airborne... and that was... dull to be honest. I was medically retired for developing Asthma in Kosovo after my platoon got into something that started making my lungs bleed some... so that ended my chance to go with half of my guys from the previous unit into Spec. Forces... but I have a really awesome family, and most of my buddies are dealing with issues that came with the first few years of Iraq and Afghanistan.... so I actually count myself very lucky.

But I'd say I'm less of a "gun nut" than a military enthusiast. But don't get me wrong, that line is blurry at best.

I do love the M-16 "colt style" American variants as weapons... and for me I feel it's the best firearm out there, but the 5.56 is rather meh in some performance issues, and has even been griped about by troops and SoF personal. So I plan on getting one of the 7.62 models that are out there, as long as my chest rig (PC) will still take the mags.

And yah, I can feel you, My wife has a Glock 30 (?), a tiny .45 that I really don't like... (wrist-pain wise) but you hope to never have to use a concealable piece.

It's late and I'm rambling... but yah, I didn't mean to come off as insulting in that previous post, and if I did, I apologize. I just thought that your avatar was useful, and that when I saw them on other sites, that I doubted you were on, was secretly you... I do that from time to time, and I've never come out and asked anyone, but sometimes you wonder if you have seen that style of writing on another site... anyway yah.

In games I usually play a "fighter/Brick/ near tactical type, but I mostly just do because I can use some of the firearms I like looking at, and not pay all the cash... lol... but we've been playing a lot of fantasy lately, so I haven't really had the chance to play a modern character... though I find that I do tend to judge a modern system at how they handle shotgun damage... most times. lol.

I have a friend who has a .450 bushmaster. He loves it for hunting hogs in Texas.

I think if I was going for something along those lines, I would have a hard time not choosing the .458 socom, or the .500 Beowulf. ;)

yeah, the .458 socom is the one that intrigues me the most. The .500 Beowulf was one I was really interested in, but the .458 socom is easier to get ammo for and doesn't require you to mod the feed lips and such on the magazines, which struck me as simpler while still getting the same thing. All in all, I don't really need any of it, though, and the ammo prices aren't real great, and there aren't really any good ranges around here that I've found yet for shooting a rifle. Investigating a new one this spring, I think.

Yah' date=' I'm more of a line walker in that respect... I started out as a "knife and sword" buff. And was led kicking and screaming to my love of firearms. And then later my enjoyment of gear... though I would not consider myself a gear-head, and also tend to make fun of the "tacticool" guys, though I'm probably closer to it than I'd like to admit, I just don't buy Parclet just because of the name, I'll take any gear if it works right and complements my training/feel.[/quote']

hehe, we're probably pretty close here. I was a martial arts guy, having spent like 20 years studying one or the other, but ended up focusing on some of the shaolin animal styles from the south side of china. I bought my first gun, a revolver, to dabble and get a familiarity with the subject. After I moved for a job and got subsequently fired, I went into security for a quick job (oddly, martial arts training isn't a real good resume builder =) ) and thus had to learn a tad more about the subject to get the slightly bigger paycheck.

[snip]... I don't, personally like the Acog because quite frankly that iris on the "eye" end is too small for a point scope, however, I have seen that they've started to move the point scope up on the newer models...

I didn't even know that. I've just seen 'em on web sites and such. I thought the whole no batteries idea was nice but had no idea how they worked in practice. =)

I did my time in the infantry, and even worked in "special interest platoons" who did some back up work for Special Forces that amounted to falling asleep in a HMMWV about 3 miles away from the action and never actually being called into the scenario, but it was good training, and I try to keep it up, but I'm still ending up old, fat and lazy. And then a stint with the 82nd Airborne... and that was... dull to be honest. I was medically retired for developing Asthma in Kosovo after my platoon got into something that started making my lungs bleed some... so that ended my chance to go with half of my guys from the previous unit into Spec. Forces... but I have a really awesome family, and most of my buddies are dealing with issues that came with the first few years of Iraq and Afghanistan.... so I actually count myself very lucky.

I know this sounds really generic these days, but thanks for your service. I'm glad to hear you made it without getting too badly hurt or psychologically scarred.

I do love the M-16 "colt style" American variants as weapons... and for me I feel it's the best firearm out there, but the 5.56 is rather meh in some performance issues, and has even been griped about by troops and SoF personal. So I plan on getting one of the 7.62 models that are out there, as long as my chest rig (PC) will still take the mags.

Since I didn't have to live with one, all I have is a general understanding of the platform. Compared to the reputations of other platforms, it just doesn't sound like a very reliable one to me. Then again, I'm not real big on having to keep my guns really clean. I only clean my pistols every few thousand rounds. I agree on the 5.56mm. From all reports, a great round s'long as there are no barriers to contend with... which seems oddly against what troops seem to face most of the time. I thought the .308 or 7.62x51 (?) was a good compromise over the old .30-06 and about as small as we really should have went.

And yah, I can feel you, My wife has a Glock 30 (?), a tiny .45 that I really don't like... (wrist-pain wise) but you hope to never have to use a concealable piece.

The funny thing is, I like the boomers. I just don't have the inclination to really practice with them anymore. .44 magnum is as big as I'll go. I can still rapid fire S&W 629 reasonably well at close ranges, and that's really kind of dumb anyway. Mostly I enjoy shooting .45 ACP as the simplest one to shoot with respectable power behind it. I now own a 9mm, mostly for the platform of the CZ SP-01, which struck me as a nice alternative to my 1911s for practice time and in general. I'm overall pretty impressed with it. I do actually like the Glock 30. I don't know why, since most Glocks just don't do it for me, though I shoot them well. The 30 is a nice little package with 10 rounds of .45 ACP in a small package and I can empty a magazine in no time and still group them into a big fist-sized hole inside of 20 feet. The group spreads out after that... but I have to own one of those sometime soon. =)

It's late and I'm rambling... but yah, I didn't mean to come off as insulting in that previous post, and if I did, I apologize.

Meh, I ramble all too much these days. =) As said before, you weren't in the least bit insulting nor do you need to apologize. If nothing else, at least I am not sensitive regarding ego, style, or otherwise. In this age of the easily offended, I choose to remain easily gotten along with... but in any case, you didn't say anything even mildly offensive.

In games I usually play a "fighter/Brick/ near tactical type, but I mostly just do because I can use some of the firearms I like looking at, and not pay all the cash... lol... but we've been playing a lot of fantasy lately, so I haven't really had the chance to play a modern character... though I find that I do tend to judge a modern system at how they handle shotgun damage... most times. lol.

Hehe, I hear ya. I just like action-oriented characters. If I wanted to be sensitive or caring or all brainy, I'd just go do something in life. =)

re: the Neopup: Colour me unimpressed. Nothing there that a M203 couldn't do better.

I'm going to have to disagree. The M-203 has a shorter range, and is a single shot. True, the 40mm grenade is heavier, but... Now the 6 shot revolver 40mm with the medium velocity rounds has a LOT going for it. Still not as flat shooting (lower sectional density and just over half the muzzle velocity. The projectile weight of the neopup 20mm is only about 100grams. The 40mm grenades however, run from 180gms or so for the original ones up to something like 280 for some of the newer ones. This does allow a lot more potential bang, as well as allowing things like the reconnaisance grenade, etc.

I think the interesting thing about the neopup is the relatively common sense design. Over the course of a couple years, they took an existing projectile, mated it to a shorter shell, and put it in a 6 shot semi-automatic weapon. Compare this to how long it takes the US to develop ANYTHING. :( The Neopup is probably a small fraction of the cost of the XM 25, but will probably give a reasonably large percentage of its real world capability. Combined with the new laser ranging telescopes (Burris makes civilian ones for under $1000, iirc), the usable range capabilities of many weapons should increase.

THe new M320 to replace the M203 will allow longer grenades, which could be a serious advantage in terms of less lethal and exotic rounds like the Recon one.

I have found myself thinking the Russian grenade launchers have a lot going for them, but as I have never used one, and only fired two training rounds from an M203, I cannot really say.

Whilst we're on the subject of grenade launchers, what about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkor_MGL? Now that's a really cool looking weapon. A hell of a lot of firepower, too.

Mind you, as the venerable pistolero Col Jeff Cooper so pithily puts it: "Two hundred misses is not firepower. One hit is firepower."

Sure is Colonel, especially with a round from one these babies. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I like the look of this knife.

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=5600&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,7,8&categoryName=Military/Tactical

agrussel has it for about 2/3 the price, and a better picture too.

It definitely looks slick. By the way...is there any benefit to using a kukri over a machete?

Ultimately though, switchblades, folding blades, and fixed blades, all have their particular uses.

As I understand it, while both are very effective tool blades, the Kukri's development history was driven by conbat requirements, while the Machete has never been anything but a weapon of opportunity. If I want to hack through brush, I'll take a Machete. If I want to hack through people...

It definitely looks slick. By the way...is there any benefit to using a kukri over a machete?

Ultimately though, switchblades, folding blades, and fixed blades, all have their particular uses.

As I understand it' date=' while both are very effective tool blades, the Kukri's development history was driven by conbat requirements, while the Machete has never been anything but a weapon of opportunity. If I want to hack through brush, I'll take a Machete. If I want to hack through [i']people...[/i]

I have never actually used a Kukri for anything. The forward weight distribution is said to concentrate the force on a smaller area, iirc. Given what I remember doing with a CHEAP $5 machete... Amazingly, it threw quite well. It was no more than 18" long, but...

I don't know if this came up before, but it's definitely one for the James Bond type games:

Metal "art" sculpture hides parts for "Golden Gun" with laser sight.

It won't actually make it through any security checkpoint, especially if they use chemical sniffers or gunpowder-finding dogs, but it certainly has a heck of a Concealment modifier.

Oddly, knives and guns go together.... and if I had to pick, I'd still go for a gun, even though I probably have more hand to hand experience than shooting experience. So long as we're going for blades, though, here's one I like...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38292[/ATTACH]