Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

LOL. Seriously. If I ever get me a .45-70 lever gun I GOTTA get me some of those.

Low recoil, 10 foot muzzle blast... the very idea of a .45-70 CQB round has me all grinnin'

at the other technological end of things, the same rounds should work in a .458 Socom... :eg:

I took a quick glance at what they might charge for a version sized for a .45 acp... yuck, but...

I've got a Baikal "coach gun" style side by side shotgun. The fit and finish is a bit below average, and it needed a bit of tuning, but overall it's a great gun for the price. It's very Russian--simple, elegant, very solid mechanisms with no polishing anywhere that it's not absolutely necessary, and strong springs. An evening of modestly skilled hand work was all it took to get it in great shape for cowboy action shooting. Very good value for the money.

I'm no expert on shotguns, but as far as I know, there ISN'T any other difference that is inherent to the two configurations. Over-and-under shotguns tend to be the preferred format for the various clay pigeon sports, and for the hunting of birds which are neither turkeys nor waterfowl. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an over-and-under with 18-inch barrels--probably because of the nature of trying to shoot a flying bird or clay target. Side-by-side shotguns are seen as more utilitarian, broadly speaking, while over-and-under shotguns have more of an "upper class" air to them. This leads to different kinds of guns being made in each type, but it's more about marketing than engineering, to my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert on shotguns' date=' but as far as I know, there ISN'T any other difference that is [i']inherent[/i] to the two configurations. Over-and-under shotguns tend to be the preferred format for the various clay pigeon sports, and for the hunting of birds which are neither turkeys nor waterfowl. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an over-and-under with 18-inch barrels--probably because of the nature of trying to shoot a flying bird or clay target. Side-by-side shotguns are seen as more utilitarian, broadly speaking, while over-and-under shotguns have more of an "upper class" air to them. This leads to different kinds of guns being made in each type, but it's more about marketing than engineering, to my understanding.

Yeah, there's no difference other than style that I know of. Seriously I think one of the reasons people like over-unders is because the forend of the stock is more suitable for engraving.

Other than the barrel configurations' date=' what is the difference/what are the differences between over-and-under shotguns, and side-by-side shotguns?[/quote']

From having used both, I'd say there is no notable difference. I've been told by several people that side-by-side are far more popular in Europe, where that is considered the high-end shotgun type. In the US, the over-and-under is the high-end.

I saw that earlier today. I don't think I really want to shoot a .308 with a 12" barrel. 35 years or so ago, someone was doing chopped shorty conversions of HK rifles. Their AD claimed that the muzzle blast from the .308 sounded like a .50 caliber MG....

NO thanks.

From having used both, I'd say there is no notable difference. I've been told by several people that side-by-side are far more popular in Europe, where that is considered the high-end shotgun type. In the US, the over-and-under is the high-end.

I think I've heard that, too, but I wasn't certain enough of it to make a point of it.

I saw that earlier today. I don't think I really want to shoot a .308 with a 12" barrel. 35 years or so ago, someone was doing chopped shorty conversions of HK rifles. Their AD claimed that the muzzle blast from the .308 sounded like a .50 caliber MG....

NO thanks.

They're just ears, man. God gave us two of them, in case we blow one out. :winkgrin:

They're just ears' date=' man. God gave us two of them, in case we blow one out. :winkgrin:[/quote']

;) I think you are misunderstanding. I fired a Ruger blackhawk in .30-carbine. WIthout earplugs. It felt like someone was jamming icepicks in both my ears at the same time. I am NOT exaggerating. This barrel is a bit longer, but the chamber pressure is significantly higher too.

That is a recipe for serious pain...

I saw that earlier today. I don't think I really want to shoot a .308 with a 12" barrel. 35 years or so ago' date=' someone was doing chopped shorty conversions of HK rifles. Their AD claimed that the muzzle blast from the .308 sounded like a .50 caliber MG....[/quote']

That's why I kind of chuckled when I saw that it had the word "clandestine" in the title. I'm thinking they could advertise it as a combination rifle/flamethrower.

I once fired a mere .38 special without hearing protection. It hurt and my ears rang for a while afterward. I'm 100% sold on the use of hearing protection when shooting.

I once went to a Pantera/White Zombie double bill without hearing protection. It hurt and my ears rang for days afterward.* I'm 100% sold on the use of hearing protection when moshing.

* This is not an exaggeration.

That's why I kind of chuckled when I saw that it had the word "clandestine" in the title. I'm thinking they could advertise it as a combination rifle/flamethrower.

True, the muzzle blast would probably be handy in Close quarters combat versus vampires...

The "pineapple" grenade shows up a lot in modern day (1980s onward) fiction' date=' so, I have to wonder: are there still many functioning models remaining and/or are they still in production?[/quote']

I'd assume there are still functioning models around, but they stopped making them in the 50s, AFAICT. Unless there's a similar grenade made by a foreign country out there somewhere.

I'd assume there are still functioning models around' date=' but they stopped making them in the 50s, AFAICT. Unless there's a similar grenade made by a foreign country out there somewhere.[/quote']

I know parts of Russia's military uses a variation, but I had the United States model in mind. Ultimately, realistic or not, the shape is very iconic, so I understand why it's prevalent.

Are there any zip guns in a caliber greater than .22?

Well, this isn't 'quite' a zip gun -- but only just...

Guide-Lamp-Liberator-Pistol.jpg

This is the only pistol that could be made faster than it could be loaded, which took about 10 seconds. The production cost was $2.10 each. {LINK}

1292532244296.jpg