Villains Vandals And Vermin (VVV)

Andrew Cermak

My copy of VVV just arrived in the mail, so I figured I'd make myself available to satisfy any curiosity anyone might have about the contents.

One thing that stood out is that GMs looking for more low-powered adversaries will be very pleased. But some do tip the scales in the other direction; The Curse is a particularly nasty piece of work.

I was also pleased to see an homage of sorts to Exo-Skeleton Man; he's not precisely the same character, but he's definitely cut from a similar cloth. :thumbup:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Vvv

Thank you for this service to the community' date=' Andrew. :)[/quote']

My pleasure!

Are there any "old school" villains whose names we'd remember from earlier editions?

Sunburst is the only direct port (same Secret ID, same origin, pretty much the same powers except moreso), but two more, Exo and Spirit Dragon, are recognizable versions of previous characters: Exo-Skeleton Man and Dragonmaster, respectively. Spirit Dragon is a former Tiger Squad member who has fled to the US and desires to overthrow Communist China, while Exo is a former petty crook who somehow managed to build himself a suit of power armor, but remains a fairly hapless thug regardless.

Spirit Dragon, besides being an accomplished master of a unique form of Kung Fu, also has some Iron Fist-esque powers. So far, he's one of my favorites.

I had heard that Sunburst would be making his return in this book, but wanted confirmation that he had in fact been included. Ever since Project: Sunburst was included in the 5E CU I've been waiting for his appearance. I'll be interested to see how he's been developed.

Spirit Dragon is good news. :) Dragonmaster was too interesting a character to be left languishing in limbo. With all the chi powers that Susano has built for Ninja HERO and Digital Hero, I'm sure SD can do some Kewl Stuff.

With all the chi powers that Susano has built for Ninja HERO and Digital Hero' date=' I'm sure SD can do some Kewl Stuff.[/quote']

On the subject of chi powers, Overdrive is an interesting villain along those lines. He has baseline Characteristics except for a 15 Int and a 3 Spd...but he also has a 120 point Multipower that allows him to pump as much as 60 points into any of his Characteristics (no figureds). From phase to phase he can be a brick, a speedster...or a 70 PRE, 130 COM recruiter of a cult army. :eek:

My copy of VVV just arrived in the mail, so I figured I'd make myself available to satisfy any curiosity anyone might have about the contents.

One thing that stood out is that GMs looking for more low-powered adversaries will be very pleased. But some do tip the scales in the other direction; The Curse is a particularly nasty piece of work.

I was also pleased to see an homage of sorts to Exo-Skeleton Man; he's not precisely the same character, but he's definitely cut from a similar cloth. :thumbup:

Awesome. I'm highly curious about just who is in there. Any new mentalists? CU: News of the World

has both Menton and PSI on the ropes to say the least

so I am curious if anyone is filling the vacuum.

Any new mentalists?

A few. ;) Overbrain, the leader of the Brain Trust, is a telepathic and telekinetic brain who spends a fair amount of time in a jar. Blindside is a blind mentalist who can rewrite neural pathways; besides his many other powers, I think he's the first CU character without a VPP who can pull the Mind Switch trick. Dreamwitch has some mental-esque powers. Mindgame is a potent illusionist. Rictus is a zombie-raiser with some supplementary mental powers.

The general purpose of both the Brain Trust and the Crime Lords, story-wise, is to give the CU more "generic" villain teams that can do just about anything. Technically the Overbrain has goals, but they're broad enough to allow for just about any activity by his team. We've got enough teams with specific agendas; I wanted to give GMs more teams that could show up just about anywhere for any purpose. ;)

Who's in there that would be good for comic effect? :D

As mentioned, Avant Guard is a Dada type who would work both for comedy and for Morrison style high weirdness.

Buzzsaw is an overconfident supervillain built on just over 150 points. His description explicitly says that he works well for making your heroes look good and feel tough.

Overbrain is a floating megalomanical brain; his absurdity combined with his self-importance makes him a good comical mastermind for those who want one.

Lash is a low-powered skirt-chaser who could certainly provide comic moments if you have any female PCs.

On the subject of chi powers' date=' Overdrive is an interesting villain along those lines. He has baseline Characteristics except for a 15 Int and a 3 Spd...but he also has a 120 point Multipower that allows him to pump as much as 60 points into any of his Characteristics (no figureds). From phase to phase he can be a brick, a speedster...or a 70 PRE, 130 COM recruiter of a cult army. :eek:[/quote']

I thought putting stats in a MUltipower like that was not allowed in 5th?

Rob