Best and most Pointless superbattle of all time

FenrisUlf

Dread Gods of the Forum, don't let this thread wind up like that other one...

That said -- what's your take on the best and not worst, but most pointless/this-is-just-space-filler superbattle of all time?

To me, the best superfight covers quite some ground. There's the fight between Steeljack and the Conquistador in Busiek's Tarnished Angel, and another I remember between Thor and the Midgard Serpent back when Thor was cursed by Hela.

Most pointless, I can't even guess. Though from everything I've heard, the big battle between Daredevil and Nuke that finished off a classic DD story is definitely in the running.

What are your choices?

Re: Best and most Pointless superbattle of all time

Spiderman vs Juggernaut where Spidey lures Juggy into a cement bath.

Juggernaut vs Thor where Juggernaut uses Thor's own hammer to attack him

Thor vs anybody in the Korvac saga. The Avengers are down and suddenly Thor appears. It was fun.

Thor vs Kang in an Avengers story in the 120s or 130s. Kang blows up trying to get more power to beat up Thor.

Wolverine vs Sabertooth in the X-Men mansion. Sabertooth wins.

DESTROY! Loudest comix book in the universe. (Done by Scott (Zot) Macleod as a treasury sized book in the mid-80s)

You forgot two !!.

It added pathetically small pieces of debris to many an arsenal.

Best: The X-Men vs. the Shair Imperial Guard on the Blue Area of the moon, fighting to determine the fate of Jean Grey*.

*(Before its purpose was retconned away :P)

Worst: The Death of Superman.

(Pointlessly powerful, ugly, and aggressive alien no one has ever heard of before comes down and kills Superman for ratings. Lex Luthor's head explodes from the affrontery ;)).

Most Pointless:

IMO, those numerous early Marvel stories involving the meeting of two different heroes. A sudden inability to communucate invariably led to idiotic misunderstandings (sometimes exacerbated by some villain). Said heroes would immediately start beating the living cud out of each other and their general surroundings.

For somebody as short-fused as the Hulk, perhaps this was the most probable course for events to take. But using the same approach for just about everybody else got real old way fast, and was the main reason why I was VERY slow to get interested in Marvel.

Most Pointless:

IMO, those numerous early Marvel stories involving the meeting of two different heroes. A sudden inability to communucate invariably led to idiotic misunderstandings (sometimes exacerbated by some villain). Said heroes would immediately start beating the living cud out of each other and their general surroundings.

For somebody as short-fused as the Hulk, perhaps this was the most probable course for events to take. But using the same approach for just about everybody else got real old way fast, and was the main reason why I was VERY slow to get interested in Marvel.

I remember Ozymandias referring to this in Watchmen when he was recalling meeting The Comedian:

Recognising me instantly he attacked anyway, 'mistaking me for a criminal'
the implication being that this was a common way for the various costumed adventurers to establish their pecking order.

Seems more plausible than the Marvel way.

The quote is from memory by the way so if it's not spot-on I apologise.

(Pointlessly powerful, ugly, and aggressive alien no one has ever heard of before comes down and kills Superman for ratings. Lex Luthor's head explodes from the affrontery ;)).

Wow, I used to kinda like those events until you put it that way. Don't you hate when logic ruins your day?

Best AND Most Pointless:

Jo "Ultraboy" Nah vs. the population of an entire planet of ass-kickers to plant a flower as a memorial to Karate Kid.

Ummm.. That was Brin (Timber Wolf) Londo, not Jo (Ultra Boy) Nah who fought the Lyythals to plant a seed in their 'sacred rock'.

Ummm.. That was Brin (Timber Wolf) Londo' date=' not Jo (Ultra Boy) Nah who fought the Lyythals to plant a seed in their 'sacred rock'.[/quote']

Er, yeah, that's what I meant. Look! A flying pony!