Gestalt Sampler

mattingly

Re: Gestalt Sampler

Rather than being tempting, this teaser is incredibly annoying!

We're basically confronted with a random handful of unrelated pages, all of which seem to allude to some sort of unusual and complex metaphysical background -- but there's no explanation given. In fact, there's no effort made to include even the briefest and most cursory answer to the question of "What the hell is going on here?"

This sampler left me feeling irritated and frustrated, and very discouraged over the whole "Gestalt" idea. After all, if this mess is what the authors are using to try and tempt customers to their new background (or whatever it is), just how disorganized and incoherent will the finished Gestalt product be?

This "sampler" thing does the Gestalt product no service at all.

There'll be a player's primer to Gestalt coming out after I get a chance to finish Champions of the North. If you're looking for a more cohesive introduction to the world. you'll get it there, It'll probably be a similar size to this PDF.

The sampler is only meant to give some ideas on what the book covers and what it'll look like, and hopefully has enough extractable packages and tidbits to make it worth the download. Gestalt covers a lot of material and has a pretty hefty scope; a preview based on one chapter wouldn't convey that. so we chose to give snippets of many chapters.

There'll be a player's primer to Gestalt coming out after I get a chance to finish Champions of the North. If you're looking for a more cohesive introduction to the world. you'll get it there' date=' It'll probably be a similar size to this PDF.[/quote']

In the meantime, you can read a fairly detailed introduction to the setting on this webpage.

Or read an interview with the auhor here' date=' or an overview of the book here.

Thanks mattingly for also stepping into the gap! Repped. The book overview didn't have much substance, but the author's interview was detailed and interesting.

I like the idea behind "Gestalt" -- that's fascinating! -- but the worldbook was definitely not for me.

Even just creating a character seems to involve players in too many non-immersive metagaming concerns.... The CharGen process as described sounds a bit like: "Select a Gestalt of the appropriate power level. Now write a brief essay about the effects of this Gestalt on the entirety of human history, paying particular attention to the development of the major world religions and philosophies."

The other problem I have with the worldbook is that I don't like world-wide conspiracies as major arcs in a game. The author said in his interview that he was eschewing government conspiracies in "Gestalt," but with villains and groups like The Blood Red King and The League of Tyranny in play, there will have to be world-spanning conspiracies active.

While I'm pretty sure I'll never run a Gestalt game, I want the book for a number of reasons -- the very least of which is access to the numerous power builds and character design concepts Scott will have in there.

While I'm pretty sure I'll never run a Gestalt game' date=' I want the book for a number of reasons -- the very least of which is access to the numerous power builds and character design concepts Scott will have in there.[/quote']

There's an interesting semi-template system for quick character builds, and charts illustrating an approach to balancing speed, DCs, CV, and defenses that many GMs will find useful. Some great NPCs as well, heroic and villainous, as well as many plot seeds.

I don't plan to switch to a Gestalt campaign, but there's plenty of material that will make it into my games. It really is an exceptionally good book.

We're not taking pre-orders, I'm afraid. But for those going to Origins this week, our printer is expecting to ship us some advance copies for the show. Apart from that, the book should be available for order in another couple of weeks.