Traveller Hero - the soon to be GONE!

Bygoneyrs

Hello everyone,

It is with a sad heavy heart that I must report that the company of ComStar Games that put out Traveller Hero and the New 1248 Era for the Traveller setting will be loosing it's license to write, and continue the Traveller line at all after their current license runs out (not sure when next year 2008).

You see Traveller's creator Marc Miller, has allowed Mongoose Games to have what he calls the official and only license to put out Traveller products from now on. All other Traveller license's will not be reniewed and that includes ComStar's as well. So Comstar will continue with their few inthe works and planned traveller products but that will be it. Heck these remaining products might only come out as .PDF style as many of their other Traveller works have.

For me a Die-Hard Old Time Traveller player/GM with a Traveller friendly wallet, this leaves me most unhappy. So what are we players that like spaced based stuff to do? Can we get Steve Long or Darren Watts to comment on this matter?

Also could maybe Steve/Darren open talks with ComStar Games for them maybe

to do a Hero System based line for their New Space Based Game line of Far Avolon? ComStar did a awesome job with Traveller Hero, why not get them to do a Far Avolon Hero too? It could add alot more space based stuff that could also be developed and used with Star Hero.

Penn

Re: Traveller Hero - the soon to be GONE!

Keep in mind that we still have 18 months to produce more Traveller Hero works - I'm in the middle of layout work for GAS 3 through 8, Kevin is chomping at the bit for Grand Fleet THero, and I have several items planned of my own to do.

And yes, if sales are good, we hope that Steve L will give ComStar a license for Far Avalon Hero, their space-based game in the works. Polaris has already been involved in those discussions with Steve. :)

Polaris has said in another thread that all of the Traveller items slated for after the Traveller license expires will be repurposed for the Far Avalon setting.

So stay tuned, it's a setback but not a defeat :)

Well that is awesome news and lets keep our Hero's crossed...LOL:D

Penn

Keep in mind that we still have 18 months to produce more Traveller Hero works - I'm in the middle of layout work for GAS 3 through 8, Kevin is chomping at the bit for Grand Fleet THero, and I have several items planned of my own to do.

And yes, if sales are good, we hope that Steve L will give ComStar a license for Far Avalon Hero, their space-based game in the works. Polaris has already been involved in those discussions with Steve. :)

Polaris has said in another thread that all of the Traveller items slated for after the Traveller license expires will be repurposed for the Far Avalon setting.

So stay tuned, it's a setback but not a defeat :)

something else to remember on this folks, when Eodin and Tancred and I started this whole insane project over 2 years ago, nobody had a clue about this thing with Mongoose.. heck first I heard about it was that over the top press release.

we have lots more goodies on the way before the license for Traveller Hero runs out, and just because the traveller hero license runs out, that doesnt mean we have to stop supporting Star Hero for that matter. I dont know if I will switch to Rikki Tikki Traveller or not, although with the inevitable Traveller/B5 crossover ideas, I see writing up an Aslan Ranger, I just cant picture a Hiver Technomage though... hmmm I wonder if the Zhodani would be technomage capable as a race.

Steve did comment when he approved the 2 core books about our committment to the work.... or was that we should be committed for our work...

Hi there,

I just want to stop by to clarify a few things--

1. We do still have quite a long time on this license, and will be publishing Traveller material for quite some time.

2. We currently have at least one other print product in the plans.

3. We will be discussing future plans with the Powers that Be for Traveller when we get closer to the end of the license... customer demand, if it warrants it, can convince the powers that be to do things that may not currently be the plan.

4. We intend to discuss options for continuing to support Star Hero well into the future with the kind folks at DOJ. Even if this support is not 'official' Traveller, players and GMs of Traveller Hero will find the material to be very helpful for their games.

William

As with others here, I'm sorry to hear about this. I haven't had the opportunity to obtain any of the TH stuff myself, but I enjoyed the original Traveller back in the day (actually I think it was the second edition) and would have liked to have seen this go on like crazy. But as you say, you're still be producing things on the license right up to the end, so at least you'll have something that can last a while.

Traveller HERO is one of the quality works I point people to when asked "What's HERO besides Champions?" It will be sad when its time passes, but the whole TH design team can be very proud of what they've accomplished and contributed to HERO gaming. :king:

(You know, this incident does seem to lend further credence to Steve Long's concerns over pursuing licensed properties for Hero Games.)

(You know' date=' this incident does seem to lend further credence to Steve Long's concerns over pursuing licensed properties for Hero Games.)[/quote']

As much as I'd like to see more licensed stuff for Hero, I tend to agree that working with licenses seems a squirrelly prospect.

I do plan to pick up all the Traveller Hero line before it ends. If sales are good, hopefully the license could be renewed, despite what seems to be happening. Every sale of Traveller Hero items is still money made on the project.

I hope to see more Traveller based Hero products as well too, the more the better for us all. I really would love to see someone come up with their own "Space based" Hero and

write up a system and etc. If I was a better writer I would try, but I am not up to that kinda job. My hat's off to Steve L and crew!!!

Penn

4. We intend to discuss options for continuing to support Star Hero well into the future with the kind folks at DOJ. Even if this support is not 'official' Traveller, players and GMs of Traveller Hero will find the material to be very helpful for their games.

William

As someone who's first traveller purchase was Traveller Hero, I am saddened by the loss of the license somewhat, but I am really happy to see that it doesn't mean the end of Comstar's Star Hero support. I love my SF. :)

Hi there,

I just want to stop by to clarify a few things--

1. We do still have quite a long time on this license, and will be publishing Traveller material for quite some time.

2. We currently have at least one other print product in the plans.

3. We will be discussing future plans with the Powers that Be for Traveller when we get closer to the end of the license... customer demand, if it warrants it, can convince the powers that be to do things that may not currently be the plan.

William

Cool... thanks for all the updates guys...