WWYCD: King Arthur is back

Mark Rand

Re: WWYCD: King Arthur is back

Daedalus and his team wouldn't be concerned unless it turned out this ninja was connected with the clan that has allied itself with the techno-demon lord Mikoboshi.

Since Fujiko's clan has produced a number of Slayers, they're definitely on the side of the light. Assuming Mikoboshi is evil, three Slayers, including the Vice President's daughter, and a lot of friends, would be after him.

Heroes following them into battle would note that the group has a solid grasp of tactics.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a standard Champions Universe, there could be several effects of an Arthurian return. Assuming he can convince a large number of people he really IS Arthur, then the UK is going to be in some turmoil. Racist yobbos like the National Front will try to point him in the direction of what they perceive as the threat, or start acting violently in his name without his direction.

Since Britain is a nuclear power, any major instability there is a very serious matter for the entire world. If the threat he has a risen to face is obvious, then that too must be dealt with by the PCs, whether they support the idea of a High King or not, because that threat is likely global in nature.

In a standard Champions Universe, there could be several effects of an Arthurian return. Assuming he can convince a large number of people he really IS Arthur, then the UK is going to be in some turmoil. Racist yobbos like the National Front will try to point him in the direction of what they perceive as the threat, or start acting violently in his name without his direction.

Since Britain is a nuclear power, any major instability there is a very serious matter for the entire world. If the threat he has a risen to face is obvious, then that too must be dealt with by the PCs, whether they support the idea of a High King or not, because that threat is likely global in nature.

This also brings up the concept of the entire thing being a hoax, as well. If England has a problem that superheroes and nukes can't handle, what's some fossil swinging an oversized letter opener gonna do about it? (as Vixen would put it.)

Donn:

Arthurs back? Finally! About time he set these silly humans in order. Now maybe i can find an alternative to killing Morgana...

Lu-Tze (deceased but still alive):

Again? Oh wait, wrong timeline. Which Arthur are we talking about?

Re: WWYCD: King Arthur's back

Vixen is completely unaware of the 'Arthur will return when needed' bit; mythology is not one of her KSs' date=' so her response would be roughly, "I'm American, why the heck should I care? The British Monarchy's just a figurehead, anyway, they aren't the real government. What difference does it make who's king?"[/quote']

Wow, just wow, your character is really that culturally ignorant?

TB

Don't think that's an unrealistic reaction. I have seen Americans get frothing at the mouth angry at the fact that the monarchy hasn't been abolished yet. Americans as a whole are self-centered, ethnocentric, and ignorant of other cultures.

Millennium: .o0(Something is very wrong here. I was Arthur! And Lancelot!) If he is an imposter, Millennium wants to expose him as such. However, if he is another Avitar of Arthur, then an Avitar of Lancelot showing up could screw things up again. Wait and watch.

Dolphin: "What's the big deal? Of course he reincarnated. Did you think he was enlightened enough to avoid it?"

Cheeta, Snow Leopard, and Iron Will: "And we should care because?"

Since Fujiko's clan has produced a number of Slayers, they're definitely on the side of the light. Assuming Mikoboshi is evil, three Slayers, including the Vice President's daughter, and a lot of friends, would be after him.

Heroes following them into battle would note that the group has a solid grasp of tactics.

This would. . . not be terribly relevant for Mikaboshi, or the campaign in general. Mikaboshi is a techno-demon lord scaled for a JLA/Avengers level game. . . and scaled to be a megavillain for such, to boot. Buffy-style slayers would be helpless against him, whatever their grasp of tactics or numbers.

Seriously, except for a street level supernatural game, virtually everything in the Buffyverse serves no use in a supers game. They just don't operate on sufficient scale.

Don't think that's an unrealistic reaction. I have seen Americans get frothing at the mouth angry at the fact that the monarchy hasn't been abolished yet. Americans as a whole are self-centered' date=' ethnocentric, and ignorant of other cultures.[/quote']

Especially when the American in question is a 15 year old C-minus student worried far more about her image and 'impending' show business career than academics.

Fair enough Collie. On the other hand, almost everything I learned about the King Arthur legend I learned at a young age while perusing the children's section of the library. So if she wanted to find out, she wouldn't exactly need a KS to do so (your GM's opinion might differ of course.)

Fair enough Collie. On the other hand' date=' almost everything I learned about the King Arthur legend I learned at a young age while perusing the children's section of the library. So if she wanted to find out, she wouldn't exactly need a KS to do so (your GM's opinion might differ of course.)[/quote']

Yeah, probably, but she's simply not interested in history and/or mythology, whichever you choose to file this under.

Look on the bright side, at least she didn't see Shrek The Third.

Yeah, Ambrosius is the historical Arthur, a 5th century Roman officer with a British mother. Gwenhwyfar was a Pict woman and one of their best warriors. Her father, Taliesin, was a bard and Lord Merlin, or Chief Druid.

After Ambrosius rescued her from the Roman bishop that had imprisoned her and her family, Gwenhwyfar brought their two groups together. After defeating the Saxon invaders, Ambrosius was made king. He married Gwenhwyfar and they built their castle, a wooden fortress, on Cadbury Hill.

The legend became distorted over time.

Yes. It certainly did.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary congratulates Lucius on showing restraint.

This would. . . not be terribly relevant for Mikaboshi, or the campaign in general. Mikaboshi is a techno-demon lord scaled for a JLA/Avengers level game. . . and scaled to be a megavillain for such, to boot. Buffy-style slayers would be helpless against him, whatever their grasp of tactics or numbers.

Seriously, except for a street level supernatural game, virtually everything in the Buffyverse serves no use in a supers game. They just don't operate on sufficient scale.

I didn't know how powerful he was.

When they heard that he was in the area, they'd call for reinforcements and take out what associates of his that they could. Robert Giles, their Watcher, would notify his uncle, Rupert, the Head Watcher. Fujiko would call her clan for assistance, as would Ronna, who looks like Rona and is a Xena-style Amazon.

Kimiko, Fujiko's daughter, would call her cousin, Mariko, aka Black Scorpion, for assistance. (In the campaign, Mariko is also the technical manager for the superhero team the PCs are on.) Ellen would notify her father, who would tell the President about the problem.

What do you mean what about?

King Arthur is back!

Since King Arthur is only supposed to come back when Britain really needs him, then Great Britain and quite possibly the rest of the world are in deep doo doo!

Needless to say, my characters lend their assistance to the best of thier ability.

Indeed, but the real question is: what kind of menace is coming to cause Arthur to return, which is worse than all the other stuff the setting has already seen, and why Nova and the other cosmic luminaries aren't supposed to handle that fine on their own, without the help of a feeble 5th-century mortal with an oversized cut-all letter opener ? Therefore, Nova would pledge assistance and be rejoyced that the Universe has apparently seen fit to return such an honorable man to the world, worrying about the implications, and trying to investigate. Waht if this is just a hoax ? If it is true, why Arthur hasn't been returned as a powerful superhuman ? What does this mean for the Manifest Destiny of superhumans ?

This is from the world I'm working on' date=' which includes [i']Buffy-[/i]style Slayers, and a Vice President who's teenage Slayer daughter, Ellen, lives in the campaign city.

Ambrosius Aurelianus (who is better known as King Arthur) has returned. He's dating, Fujiko, a dojo owner, ninja, and the divorced mother of one of Ellen's fellow Slayers. He also addresses her as Gwenhwyfar (Queen Guenivere's real name).

WWYCD?

Style: "King Arthur is back from the dead and wasting time on dating? Dating a Ninja, who's daughter is a vampire slayer? What the hell, did I wander into a Matt Wagner / Joss Wheedon crossover issue?" As there's no actual crisis, Style doesn't care much.

Flesh Gordon: Hits on Fujiko, Fujiko's daughter, and probably Ellen.

Indeed' date=' but the real question is: what kind of menace is coming to cause Arthur to return, which is worse than all the other stuff the setting has already seen, and why Nova and the other cosmic luminaries aren't supposed to handle that fine on their own, without the help of a feeble 5th-century mortal with an oversized cut-all letter opener ? Therefore, Nova would pledge assistance and be rejoyced that the Universe has apparently seen fit to return such an honorable man to the world, worrying about the implications, and trying to investigate. Waht if this is just a hoax ? If it is true, why Arthur hasn't been returned as a powerful superhuman ? What does this mean for the Manifest Destiny of superhumans ?[/quote']

Well I'd hardly call King Arthur feeble. He's in pretty good shape after all and he's really good with that sword (and possibly other medival style weapons as well). Let us not overlook the importance of the highly skilled guys, especially when they carry powerful magical type artifacts. :P

Well I'd hardly call King Arthur feeble. He's in pretty good shape after all and he's really good with that sword (and possibly other medival style weapons as well). Let us not overlook the importance of the highly skilled guys' date=' especially when they carry powerful magical type artifacts. :P[/quote']

No disrespect meant here, but from Nova's perspective, he is a lightweight, unless the mythic status of the reborn Arthur manages to infuse him with the combat prowess of Thor or Hercules or the respawned Excalibur happens to have the powers of Mjolnir or a Green Lantern ring. And indeed I would have no qualm with so empowered a version of the reborn legend put into play. Let's not overlook anything, but I tell you one, in any setting of mine, Bat-Gods that can stand up to Kryptonians, Martians, and Amazons with really good training absolutely do not exist and never will. Skills can bring one far, but only so far. Superheroes whose powers are super-skills or foci are fine, talented normals are fine (as long as they keep their place). I only despise Bat-Gods. If you want to play with the gods, bring the powers (or the artifacts).

No disrespect meant here' date=' but from Nova's perspective, he is a lightweight, unless the mythic status of the reborn Arthur manages to infuse him with the combat prowess of Thor or Hercules or the respawned Excalibur happens to have the powers of Mjolnir or a Green Lantern ring. And indeed I would have no qualm with so empowered a version of the reborn legend put into play. Let's not overlook anything, but I tell you one, in any setting of mine, Bat-Gods that can stand up to Kryptonians, Martians, and Amazons with really good training absolutely do not exist and never will. Skills can bring one far, but only so far. Superheroes whose powers are super-skills or foci are fine, talented normals are fine (as long as they keep their place). I only despise Bat-Gods. If you want to play with the gods, bring the powers (or the artifacts).[/quote']

Uhm, Bat=God didn't just walk up and smack Supes down. He built a suit of power armor armed with kryptonite to do it. The only mortal whoever defeated a Kryptonian in hand to hand, to the best of my knowledge, is Karate Kid.

Bat-God does have access to a vast arsenal of toys which, in most cases, are far advanced from even the most advanced military grade equipment. Those toys can, and should, be able to do some harsh damage to other characters. Bat-God will carry a flame thrower and thermite grenades if he has to fight Martians, he'll be carrying kryptonite power armor if he has to fight Supes. I don't see a problem with any of that.

Yeah, Ambrosius is the historical Arthur, a 5th century Roman officer with a British mother. Gwenhwyfar was a Pict woman and one of their best warriors. Her father, Taliesin, was a bard and Lord Merlin, or Chief Druid.

After Ambrosius rescued her from the Roman bishop that had imprisoned her and her family, Gwenhwyfar brought their two groups together. After defeating the Saxon invaders, Ambrosius was made king. He married Gwenhwyfar and they built their castle, a wooden fortress, on Cadbury Hill.

The legend became distorted over time.

More like there are people who believe that Ambrosius is the main inspiration for the Arthurian legends. we're a little light on hard evidence and facts here.

And how is it that nobody has said : Make sure he's taking his meds and see if any looney bins is missing a nut?

More like there are people who believe that Ambrosius is the main inspiration for the Arthurian legends. we're a little light on hard evidence and facts here.

And how is it that nobody has said : Make sure he's taking his meds and see if any looney bins is missing a nut?

That would have been War Wolf's response, but he's not really being actively played anymore so I don't really count him for these. :)

You missed the point here. These "facts" were stated as facts because they are the facts in Mark Rand's campaign setting.

Just like the fact that Slayers exist.

Mark's fondness for mushing bits of different settings together without bothering to change the names can be a little confusing at first.

You missed the point here. These "facts" were stated as facts because they are the facts in Mark Rand's campaign setting.

Just like the fact that Slayers exist.

Mark's fondness for mushing bits of different settings together without bothering to change the names can be a little confusing at first.

At some point ... I'm going to run a superhero game that doesn't employ the 'every myth is true' trope. :)

Uhm, Bat=God didn't just walk up and smack Supes down. He built a suit of power armor armed with kryptonite to do it. The only mortal whoever defeated a Kryptonian in hand to hand, to the best of my knowledge, is Karate Kid.

Bat-God does have access to a vast arsenal of toys which, in most cases, are far advanced from even the most advanced military grade equipment. Those toys can, and should, be able to do some harsh damage to other characters. Bat-God will carry a flame thrower and thermite grenades if he has to fight Martians, he'll be carrying kryptonite power armor if he has to fight Supes. I don't see a problem with any of that.

I have no problem with defeating a cosmic powerhouse by use of their inborn Achilles' Heels. That's what they are for, after all. Nor by using very clever trickery, excellent strategical planning, or exploiting of the powerhouse's psych foibles. I have a very big problem with *mortal* martial artists going into hand-to-hand combat with cosmic powerhouses, trusting their excellent dojo training, and getting anything but the worst beating of theri lives, if they indeed survive. In any setting of mine, Karate Kid ought to have died a very messy death. Now, if the martial artist happens to be a true superhuman whose powers involve super combat prowess (e.g. Midnighter, Cap. America), the bets are off. I just deeply loathe the "if you know Judo well enough, you can throw Superman" cliche.