WWYCD: King Arthur is back

Mark Rand

This is from the world I'm working on, which includes Buffy-style Slayers, and a Vice President who's teenage Slayer daughter, Ellen, lives in the campaign city.

Ambrosius Aurelianus (who is better known as King Arthur) has returned. He's dating, Fujiko, a dojo owner, ninja, and the divorced mother of one of Ellen's fellow Slayers. He also addresses her as Gwenhwyfar (Queen Guenivere's real name).

WWYCD?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWYCD: King Arthur's back

This is from the world I'm working on' date=' which includes [i']Buffy-[/i]style Slayers, and a Vice President who's teenage Slayer daughter, Ellen, lives in the campaign city.

Ambrosius Aurelianus (who is better known as King Arthur) has returned. He's dating, Fujiko, a dojo owner, ninja, and the divorced mother of one of Ellen's fellow Slayers. He also addresses her as Gwenhwyfar (Queen Guenivere's real name).

WWYCD?

About what? This would be a lot more interesting a question if he was trying to take his rightful place as High King of Britain.

What do you mean what about?

King Arthur is back!

Since King Arthur is only supposed to come back when Britain really needs him, then Great Britain and quite possibly the rest of the world are in deep doo doo!

Needless to say, my characters lend their assistance to the best of thier ability.

I didn't vote for him.

You don't vote for kings!

Anyway ... to answer ...

Vixen is completely unaware of the 'Arthur will return when needed' bit; mythology is not one of her KSs, so her response would be roughly, "I'm American, why the heck should I care? The British Monarchy's just a figurehead, anyway, they aren't the real government. What difference does it make who's king?"

You don't vote for kings!

Anyway ... to answer ...

Vixen is completely unaware of the 'Arthur will return when needed' bit; mythology is not one of her KSs, so her response would be roughly, "I'm American, why the heck should I care? The British Monarchy's just a figurehead, anyway, they aren't the real government. What difference does it make who's king?"

Wow, just wow, your character is really that culturally ignorant?

TB

What do you mean what about?

King Arthur is back!

Since King Arthur is only supposed to come back when Britain really needs him, then Great Britain and quite possibly the rest of the world are in deep doo doo!

Or not. I don't have any characters who would instantly leap to the conclusion that some unsigned prophecy is automatically true. Could just be a folkstory. And since none of my characters live in Britain, if he's near them then obviously the crisis if it is coming isn't yet upon them.

Wow, just wow, your character is really that culturally ignorant?

TB

I don't think it's such an unbelievable response - my character Icestar would react exactly the same way. King Arthur to her is the king of Sherwood Forest. Or something.

I think if you asked a broad section of real people the same question you'd probably find a lot of people who would say King Arthur was a fictional character created in the past century...

Volt would try to find out if it is really Arthur or not. If he is, myth says England is in trouble, and he'd probably try to help. Maybe almost be a knight in a new round table. Remember, Lancelot in at least one version was French so an American knight is a possibility. Most likely he'd just help where appropriate while remaining American.

Olorin is a mage. Can we say the new Merlin? That is, once he was vetted as the real Arthur. This would fascinate Olorin, as it would remind him of his world. Olorin has been both king and advisor to more than one king and is used to prophecy coming true, so it'd be familar territory. He'd help as appropriate and do lots of advice.

Black Tiger would be torn. He distrusts any authority, but King Arthur is a personal favorite from childhood. He'd probably really check this out and be hard to convince. Once convinced, he'd probably throw in with Arthur almost totally. (can we say the new Gawain?)

Futurian "Arthur? Cooool! Can I be Mordred? Aw, c'mon, I'm just kidding." He check it out and help occasionally if properly convinced.

One question: where is the threat?

No other story arc than King Arthur is back and dating a ninja mother. What the ...?

I mean the Olympian Gods are back, the Norse Gods are back. Why care about a king, who is simply in love?:ugly:

Yes because the GM brought back King Arthur just so nothing could happen. :rolleyes:

Jack A Dandy would sigh, turn over in bed, nudge Lancelot and say "You're in trouble Frenchman, your ex is back in town. In fact both of them. Try to keep it in your scabbard this time or we'll have Morgan and her mob of harridans knocking on my door for a shoulder to bleed on. Again."

Re: WWYCD: King Arthur is back

Vitus "The who now? And what's Britain? He's back? That's nice, for him" *goes back to reading Thunderball, and wondering how to replicate an ICBM with magic*

Merlin might pique his interest tho.

Zero "Um. Ok. Why is he dating a ninja again?"

Badger- Does remember his mother telling tales of Arthur when he was little. And he is a bit of a history/mythology buff. (learn from your mistakes to avoid repeating them) Probably would help. Though not one for chivalry. If he is more of the 500 AD barbarian type, he is gonna really like the guy, however. :thumbup: Anyhow, with Britain in danger, well Badger cant turn down a good fight. (though with his mother being Irish, albeit she moved to America at an early age, not really sure how he would feel about saving the Brits, never really had to think about this I admit)

Frosty Bob- Be a little peeved for Arthur making a move on a woman he likely had eyes for. However, if this guy can find him some battles to whup@$$ in, he is alright. :thumbup: (I mean Bob might figure this guy is his ancestor, who else would a bad@$$ of Bob's caliber be descendant from. :rolleyes:)

Badger- Does remember his mother telling tales of Arthur when he was little. And he is a bit of a history/mythology buff. (learn from your mistakes to avoid repeating them) Probably would help. Though not one for chivalry. If he is more of the 500 AD barbarian type' date=' he is gonna really like the guy, however. :thumbup: Anyhow, with Britain in danger, well Badger cant turn down a good fight. (though with his mother being Irish, albeit she moved to America at an early age, not really sure how he would feel about saving the Brits, never really had to think about this I admit)[/quote']

Yeah, Ambrosius is the historical Arthur, a 5th century Roman officer with a British mother. Gwenhwyfar was a Pict woman and one of their best warriors. Her father, Taliesin, was a bard and Lord Merlin, or Chief Druid.

After Ambrosius rescued her from the Roman bishop that had imprisoned her and her family, Gwenhwyfar brought their two groups together. After defeating the Saxon invaders, Ambrosius was made king. He married Gwenhwyfar and they built their castle, a wooden fortress, on Cadbury Hill.

The legend became distorted over time.

Daedalus: In the campaign King Arthur has been back, having returned during WWII. His dating a ninja would be new though, and probably tabloid fodder.

Daedalus and his team wouldn't be concerned unless it turned out this ninja was connected with the clan that has allied itself with the techno-demon lord Mikoboshi.

Quetzalcoatl: Who? Quetzalcoatl's native era is the ancient past and he thus predates King Arthur and his story.

Warp: He and his team might investigate due the legend about Arthur's return occuring at Britain's greatest need. Considering that they've seen clues which point to Isvatha V'han attempting another invasion, this could be another indicator.

Also, his teammate Horus, a god whose been around since the Turakian age, might want to drop by and say hi to an old friend.

Spectrum: As a high profile American superhero working for the United States government he might be sent as part of a diplomatic entourage to greet the new king and see how this affects American-English relations.

He'd do his research on Arthur and ask his vampire teammate if he knows anything about Arthur the books he has available do not.

Zl'f: "King who?" She's Russian; so King Arthur and the Camelot legend aren't part of her ethnic background. How would most Americans or Brits reply to "How do you feel about the return of Ivan Tsarevich?"

Going with the assumption that he's better known as "Ivan the Terrible" ( likely false, but hey, its a likely mistake ). . .

"I'm sorry, what can we do to help you bring down this vicious tyrant?"

;)