The Super Darwin Awards

AdamLeisemann

Re: The Super Darwin Awards

I had a player who:

Used his magical powers to put a clown nose on Dr. Destroyer. I kid you not. Even after I, and everyone else in the game, asked him "Are you sure?" Dr. Destroyer casually seared the insult away, whispered into a communicator in his gauntlet "Lightbearer, annihilate," and launched a tracking missile after the character that stalked him for hundreds of miles before blowing him into a fine, red mist when it caught him.

This once, I'm on Destroyer's side.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not certain this qualifies as there were no real 'choices' involved, but ...

the character in question had Berserk after taking Body Damage 14- to lose it, 8- to recover. Hence, the no real choices. :)

At any rate, he attacks a villain with a penetrating RKA damage shield with his claws. He craps out on the StunX, and deals no damage to the villain, but he takes a point or two of Body from the damage shield.

Goes berserk, attacks nearest thing: the villain with the damage shield.

Continually, and I do mean CONTINUALLY, craps out on HKA stun Multiplier. Eventually, he kills himself by repeatedly throwing himself at the villain.

I'm afraind that's not really a super darwin. It was mechanics that killed the character, rather than a choice.

I feel your pain. I ran a Rolemaster game a few years back. For some reason it seemde whenever I ever I put the group up against a tough villian (a Lich, a War Troll Shaman, high level mages), one of the group would score a critical on the villian very early in the combat & would get the dreaded "stunned and unable to parry". So my big bad villian would go down with a whimper. There is something just not right about a hobbit w/a short bow taking down a war troll in less than 30 seconds.

On the flipside whenever I sent low level flunkies after them, the PC's always got hurt. I used to threaten to send a 1st level orc armed w/a touch after them.

Ah yes... Realistic combat. Why I love HERO but hate games like RoleMaster, The Riddle of Steel, or GURPS (Though I like the setting in SpaceMaster Privateers)

Ah yes... Realistic combat. Why I love HERO but hate games like RoleMaster' date=' The Riddle of Steel, or GURPS (Though I like the setting in SpaceMaster Privateers)[/quote']

Hey, I've had it happen in a FH game. Sometimes the dice just fall that way, in a hard to GM fudge fashion.

I had a big city intrigue/court politics/stop-the-mysterious-masked-swashbuckling-assassin plot totally unhinged by a very low percentage perfect head shot in the opening encounter with the Big Bad one time. The PC hit with around a 5 point CV deficit, The Assassin flubbed his block, and the PC threw a max damage headshot, all right there out in the middle of the bloody battlemat for all to see.

Sometimes the plot train get derailed,

other times the bridge gets blown and the train falls into the river and explodes.

A friend of mine was playing a very experienced character who only had a DEX 15 but a lot of levels. The player was very good at playing the levels so he was always pretty proof against agents and the like, and of course he had a higher SPD than the agents.

Comes the climactic battle against the Big Bad and his scads of agents. Comes a golden opportunity to take the Big Bad down. The player shifts all of the levels to offense, takes aim, and blows the target down. Then, and only then, he thinks to ask, "Is this Phase 8?"

It was. Not sure if the player or the character deserves the Darwin Award.

back when I was GMing a long running West End Games Star Wars campaign I had two Darwin awards one evening one on me the other a PC playing and Imperial negotiator/spy.

It was an Empire campgian.

After ending a civil war the party was working to bring the plant into the Empire, they found evidence their was a Jedi on this plant after finding his location they called for stormtrooper backup and went after him. in the ensuing battle after the Jedi demonstrated he could fling objects with the force are PC playing an imperial spy, decides the best course of action is to toss two thermal detonators at the Jedi. despite repetated question myself and other players if "he was sure, really sure he wanted to do that." he threw'em. The Jedi promptly sent them right back atomizing the player and three storm troopers.

Now came my Darwin moment I had the Jedi boost nothing they did could hurt him he could absorb or deflect their energy blasts or cut the imps in half if they charged. after witnessing the death of a fellow PC, Greg (who was playing a Stromtrooper commander) used his comlink and orders an orbital bombardment. The party ran back to the shuttle and fled. I was floored I hadn't remotely considered that approach(even though when he was promoted to commander I told him he could now arrange orbital bombardments:doi:.) thus what was intend to be along running villain was atomized along with several hab blocks. I gave him extra Ep for original thinking.

Then there was the mentalist with the force dome who thought he could beat anyone in single combat, since his force dome would come back up in time to prevent people from getting to him.

So confident was the fellow, he boasted of his capabilities and issued a challenge to all comers.

He did count on a brick resisting his Mind Control for a full phase, maybe two.

He didn't count on the brick smashing the top of his force dome with the 100 ton monument.

True, the shattering of the force dome did prevent the impact of the blow from hitting the 4 PD mentalist.

The 20d6 damage from the monument dropping on him from 8" above his head and pinning him..

I would imagine that would mean a character could earn more than one Darwin. You just have to die to earn one is my understanding. Coming back just gives the character more opportunities for extreme stupidity.

The Darwin Award is for removing your stupid genes from the breeding pool. You are disqualified if you are still capable of siring or bearing children, or if you already have children. Technically, you can win by surviving sterilization (bonus points if it's violent and painful).

This is also much harder in comic books, because everybody has a shitload of clones and alternate universe doubles.

In a current game on Hero Central, my character Snow Leopard is making her bread and butter as a bond enforcement agent. She had to tell Bulldozer his bond had been revoked. He was angry, and picked up a car. She closed and did a takedown. 'Dozer fell, dropping the car. On top of both of them.

A long time ago, in a campaign not too far away:

Champions:

The group: V.A.L.O.R Vigilent Avengers for Law, Order and Retribution.

The game: One of the published modules (can't remember the name because I didn't run it, but it had the Molemen in it).

Super Darwin nominee: Taser :thumbup:

Taser started out as a dimansional anomily; he (or it) was, basically, a Will o' Wisp shoved into a little man-shaped suit in the V.A.L.O.R. colors of blue and white. He was all of 6 inches tall. He flew and, alas, was terribly susceptable to water- especially full immersion... and he bought back his swimming.

In the module, Taser got knocked into the "Shaping Pool"- a Moleman creation that gave their regular populace super powers (as I recall)- and Taser lost his flight, gained super strength and speed, as well as growing to be about knee high.

Set up: One of the villains we were fighting was a clay man. Taser singled that one out and began to attack. After the first hit, the clay man tried to escape by entering a fountain.

This next is paraphrased, as it happened so long ago, I can't remember the exact dialog.

Taser (player): I run after him. :thumbup:

GM: It's a fountain, Taser. :confused:

Taser (player): I know, I'm chasing him.

GM: Taser, it's a fountain.

Taser (player): Right, I'm doing a move through!

GM: *Sigh* Ok, you run into the fountain... and you start to take damage as you flop around in water. It's too deep for you to stand in.

Taser (player): :eek: OH! It's a FOUNTAIN! I get out as fast as I can!

GM: What's your swim rate?

Taser (player): :nonp:

~~~

We laughed so hard...

Mags

OK this will be a bit long so bear with me.

This wasn't in a game I was in but was recounted to me by one of the players.

This guy is running a Rolemaster game and is doing ok. It help that He knows the system VERY well so he doesn't get bogged down. He has three players

1) Halfing Rogue

2) Human Monk

3) Elven Wizard

By this time level range is about 5 to 8. The PCs though not angels are definately on the side of good. This last point is important remember it.

Now a 4th player wants to join. I know him. Good roleplayer can make interesting PCs. His main fault is he loves EVUL. IE a 5th level CE orc barbarian with an Int of 7 can outthink, outstatigise, outbluff and outeverything the 15th level LG paladin with an Int 17. Why? Because Evil is smart and creative and good = stupid.

So he approaches the GM and asks to join. The GM says sure and asks him what Character he has in mind. Wait for it......EVIL CLERIC. The GM explains the situation to him and that if the rest of the group ever finds out he is evil they will kill him. Maybe a regular cleric.

NO NO NO! Evil.

Now the main reason he wanted Evil Cleric is they have access to a set of spells that allow them to control demons.

GM again tries to steer him aside from this.

NO NO NO........EVUL!!!!!!!

Ok!

So they role the PC. The GM is even generous in making him 4th level so he is not so much weaker than the rest of the group. They come up with a reason for the new PC to be there. and we begin.

Now the GM is in the middle of a story arc where the party is investigating a series of disappearances in some outlying villages. They track the people to small stronghold in the hill. Its abandoned except for a surprise left for the PCs. A bound demon with orders to kill anyone who enters the town.

So you can imagine what happens next. PC's enter town. demon attacks (its a low level demon and not very smart) and the new pc demonstrates his amazing ability to dominate demons. His next statement was along the lines "I am in charge of this party now! Obey me or my demon will kill you" !0 minutes (and 2 game turns later) and the new PC and his new demon are both paste (the monk and rogue killed the demon the wizard fire bolted the EVUL cleric.

Total time spent playing new PC about 2 hours.

Jerome

Some time back, during the early days of RuneQuest, a bunch of the players at the regular Chaosium game decided to put together a beast team. It was, and is, fairly easy to play non-human, beast-oriented, characters in RuneQuest. So they had a Baboon (from the intelligent baboon tribe), a newtling, a duck, a morokanth (intelligent animal that herds humans), and some others.

A mutual friend heard about the game and decided that this was for him. His main role playing experience was with Arduin Grimoire, where any race can be just about anything. He looks at a copy of RuneQuest and sees the Scorpion Men (totally Chaos-oriented - which most animals are not). So he makes up a Scorpion-man and the character approaches the other beast men saying "Hey guys, I want to join up." Probably the last words spoken by that character. In Glorantha, people take things like Chaos very seriously.

Our entire party once tried to teleport onto a spaceship in orbit. Now to be fair we were on target- however no-one had thought about forcefields and we bounced into the cold airless embrace of space.

Okay, fine i thought. My character has no problem with enviroments like this. Sadly most of the team did, then it was noticed that there were rather a lot of defence turrets on the hull...

How about the time i had my Lawful Evil, but honorable, D&D character utter the fatefull words to the effect of "My life is yours, wish me dead and so it shall be" to his evil overlord known for his whimsical murderous tendencies.

Then there would be the time a starhero character went on a kamikaze run. He survived, well the upper half of him did- more or less. Now he totes cyberware and certainly isnt capable of reproducing.

I'm playing in a game set in EARLY colonial America. As in, Jamestown or thereabouts. The Player Characters are fresh off the boat. Note that this was a mostly-historical campaign. That is, magic was real--but people had historical views on magic and religion.

So the player characters go out to explore. At one point we're rowing across a river when we're attacked by indians, who start firing bows at us. At this point, one of the players has his character stand up in the middle of the rowboat and START CASTING A SPELL.

First--he gets hit by an arrow after making a target of himself.

Second, he falls overboard.

Third, he can't swim.

Fourth, we--the other PCs--have just discovered that our comrade in arms is a tool of Satan and is evoking demonic spirits.

Fifth, we beat him about the head and shoulders with the oars when he tries to get back in the boat because HE'S A WITCH.

Needless to say, he didn't survive the trip across the river.

Clearly, your two hour time limit is insufficient to earn a Darwin Award.

Some time ago, when D+D was still second edition, one of my players asked me if he could play a drow. I told him he could come in at any time, as long as it was within the bounds of the story.

So, the PC's are having a random encounter, which I rolled as "Giant Solifugids' So the PC's are fighting these big bugs which belong to the arachnid class of creatures, and are typically servants of...you guessed it...Lolth.

So the new Dark Elf PC steps out from behind a tree and says "So...do you need some help?"

The PC's charged the Dark Elf before she could act, killed her, and then finished off the bug monsters.

Total time of play....10 minutes.

I like Rolemaster. I prefer it over DnD any day.

I apologize to those offended by my statement of Rolemaster. I personally prefer more cinematic games, with less in the way of complications that get in the way of a good game.

If it is any consolation, I found HARP (a simplified version of RM) to be a much better game, actually consolidating some of the modifiers (though the fact that virtually every action is either nearly impossible or horrifically modified still gets to me.)

I once ran a campaign where superpowers were new, and the PCs were among the first to get them. I had also been very specific in mentioning that the characters did NOT know what their powers were beyond the obvious (i.e. if you have orange, rocky skin, you can guess that you might be tough). Otherwise you had to try things out, or discover your powers in moments of stress, etc.

I was basically running the pre-game, letting each character have some spotlight time to tinker around with their new abilities.

A player, who was -notorious- for metagaming, had added Life Support to his character's repertoire of powers. He described how, after the Event that granted him powers, he had tested himself to see what he could do. He knew he was super-strong because he had lifted a variety of heavy objects. He knew he could fly because he had tried to fly up from the ground in a park one night, and it had worked. And he knew he had Life SUpport because he had STUCK HIS HEAD IN A GAS OVEN and tested it out.

GM (me): Um...no.

Player: What do you mean? I know I have Life Support. Thats how I found out.

GM: You stuck your head in a gas oven and inhaled the fumes.

Player: Yeah.

Gm: To see if you had Life Support.

GM: Well...you didnt. Your character passed out from the fumes with his head in the oven, and is now quite thoroughly dead. Try again.

Player: You cant do that! I bought Life Support!

GM: Yes, but your CHARACTER didnt know that. And anyone who is crazy enough to stick his head in an oven to see IF he has Life SUpport, when he has NO REASON to believe that he would have that -particular- power, is not someone I want running around in my campaign.

So hes dead.

Try again :P

I once ran a campaign where superpowers were new, and the PCs were among the first to get them. I had also been very specific in mentioning that the characters did NOT know what their powers were beyond the obvious (i.e. if you have orange, rocky skin, you can guess that you might be tough). Otherwise you had to try things out, or discover your powers in moments of stress, etc.

I was basically running the pre-game, letting each character have some spotlight time to tinker around with their new abilities.

A player, who was -notorious- for metagaming, had added Life Support to his character's repertoire of powers. He described how, after the Event that granted him powers, he had tested himself to see what he could do. He knew he was super-strong because he had lifted a variety of heavy objects. He knew he could fly because he had tried to fly up from the ground in a park one night, and it had worked. And he knew he had Life SUpport because he had STUCK HIS HEAD IN A GAS OVEN and tested it out.

GM (me): Um...no.

Player: What do you mean? I know I have Life Support. Thats how I found out.

GM: You stuck your head in a gas oven and inhaled the fumes.

Gm: To see if you had Life Support.

GM: Well...you didnt. Your character passed out from the fumes with his head in the oven, and is now quite thoroughly dead. Try again.

Player: You cant do that! I bought Life Support!

GM: Yes, but your CHARACTER didnt know that. And anyone who is crazy enough to stick his head in an oven to see IF he has Life SUpport, when he has NO REASON to believe that he would have that -particular- power, is not someone I want running around in my campaign.

So hes dead.

Try again :P

You have the right way of dealing with munchkins.