Suggestions needed: Animal super villains

nexus

I need some ideas for animal super villians. Not animal based but literally animals with sapience (or it is sentience?) and powers. I have Primate Prime, the resquired psionic primate mastermind and K-9, a dog with the power of mental illusions and clairvoyance but I need a few others. Just ideas, need for character sheets. The campaign is late Bronze Age/Iron age in style.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Suggestions need: Animal super villains

A dolphin with sonic powers?

Big cats are almost a must. How about a super-speedster cheetah?

A komodo dragon who actually breathes fire? Or maybe sprays out a cloud of that virulent bacteria that komodos carry, mutated to extreme toxicity. (Tip of the hat to proditor for inspiration for that last one.)

An insect swarm that shares a group consciousness?

A timelost sapient deinonychus (sometimes misnamed "velociraptor")?

Lessee here now ... I had a BUNCH Of these once ...

Bloodbath: A shark that can exist on land ... brick with HKA (bite), Enraged at sight of blood, that sort of thing. If feasible, you should probably give him legs, or else he'll just look silly.

Pandemic: A panda version of Plague (from the CU).

Uproar: A lion with a super-roar that can shatter concrete.

Hip Hop: Superleaping Kangaroo, extra STR only with legs. Add Savate for more fun.

Armory: An octopus with weapons attached to the end of every tentacle, riding a little tank-like thing so he could get around out of water.

Wingspan: An eagle with steel-like serrated wings; a move-by artist.

Chamaniac (or Chameliac): A chameleon with power mimicry; his body coloration would mimic the costume of whoever he was copying, but he could only copy one person at a time. Of course, also got their power-based weaknesses (see: Kryptonite).

On a less silly note, I played in a brief funny-animals Hero game. We were heroic level (SPD 3-4), and when the GM ran us into a couple of rabbits who had SPD 8, we just about filled our pants. So, let me suggest a speedster rabbit.

And/or a speedster hummingbird (flying speedster - ooh!)

Cheetah speedster, already mentioned, is also a natural.

An octopus who's tough enough to live and move out of water; those eight arms ought to be good for something!

A boxing kangaroo - or a wrestling bear; martial artists either way (one with Superleap, the other with super STR).

A howler monkey with sonic attack (which was another PC in that funny-animals game).

Armory: An octopus with weapons attached to the end of every tentacle, riding a little tank-like thing so he could get around out of water.

I nearly suggested an octopus almost exactly like that, but punked out because I thought it was too Silver Age. It would make a cool team gadgeteer, though. Plenty of space for a big brain, and lots of arms to handle tools and weapons.

Ditto with the steel-winged bird of prey, but I feared that was too Iron Age. But I was thinking cybernetic augmentation. I'd go with a condor, though. It's a bigger bird, and it doesn't have the same heroic connotations as an eagle.

I nearly suggested an octopus almost exactly like that, but punked out because I thought it was too Silver Age. It would make a cool team gadgeteer, though. Plenty of space for a big brain, and lots of arms to handle tools and weapons.

Ditto with the steel-winged bird of prey, but I feared that was too Iron Age. But I was thinking cybernetic augmentation. I'd go with a condor, though. It's a bigger bird, and it doesn't have the same heroic connotations as an eagle.

To the former, to be fair, the Bronze Age did have a fair number of really goofy villains :); and to the latter, I was thinking that the feathers were still feathers, just really stiff (despite the fact that this would logically prevent flying) and durable, rather than actually being metallic.

Thinkg back to some recent threads:

"Boomerangutan", anyone?

How about "El Pellizcar" (Spanish for "The Pinch", I believe) - the coconut crab luchadore?

Seriously, though...

I'd go for a Brick template for the rat/mouse, just for contrast (for the same reason I might create a sloth speedster). Maybe an energy projector - "Oh, cute little mousie... Why are his eyes glowing?" BZZORCH!

How about a shark that can breathe air, fly, and go desolid? You can see that dorsal fin making a beeline for you - though it's obvious what it is, you're a little surprised to see it coming down the sidewalk...

A constrictor with density increase? Not only would it be impressively strong and tough; but as soon as it wraps around you, it increases its weight to about 25 tons! I'd assume you'd fall over with a resounding CLANG!

You can't tell me that an octopus weaponsmaster with several skill levels with Sweep, Ambidex, 2-weapon fighting, etc. wouldn't be a complete buttkicker - esp. in conjunction with its natural chameleonic abilities. To be honest, I can't think of an animal more naturally suited to the role of a stealth/infiltration expert than an octopus (I can give you gobs of reasons why if you need them)! 008, anyone?

The players in my game have faced the supervillain team known as The Swarm. They're all genetically altered humans with the abilities of particular insects (or groups of insects) - here's the roster (which you're more than welcome to swipe: assuming you like them, just make them giant insects instead of altered humans).

Hornet: the guy from CKC, only beefed up a lot. Agile shrinker/Energy projector with demi-brick STR and boxing skills (float like a butterfly...)

Scarab: Massive 4-armed brick. Think Grond's little brother (though not a dope), with membranous wings and an exoskeleton.

Termite: Looks very similar to a conventional termite; only he's sentient, about 300 lbs and has hands. A high speed tunneler, able to drag foes underground and create huge embankments; as well as secrete acid and gluey entangles from a gland on his forehead (MP: Fontanelle secretions). Nasty bite to boot.

Mantis: I was pretty bland with her - she's an agile martial artist with nastily barbed forearms.

Bivouac: Named for the grouping of army ants. He's a low-level brick, who's got shrinking linked to duplication - he can create over 2000 tiny mindlinked versions of himself, each with a 1/2 d6 penetrating bite (death by a thousand paper cuts). He maintains his 30 STR at 3 inches tall to boot - so he's thrown my players for a loop when they try to smoosh him - and it makes him very good at performing "fastball specials" with his duplicates.

(Jeez - looks like a lot of us were thinking the same thing!)

Bloodbath: A shark that can exist on land ... brick with HKA (bite), Enraged at sight of blood, that sort of thing. If feasible, you should probably give him legs, or else he'll just look silly.

Pandemic: A panda version of Plague (from the CU).

Uproar: A lion with a super-roar that can shatter concrete.

Hip Hop: Superleaping Kangaroo, extra STR only with legs. Add Savate for more fun.

Chamaniac (or Chameliac): A chameleon with power mimicry; his body coloration would mimic the costume of whoever he was copying, but he could only copy one person at a time. Of course, also got their power-based weaknesses (see: Kryptonite).

Wasn't there a short-lived Marvel comic book with most of these guys in the early 90's?

Pandemic: A panda version of Plague (from the CU)...

I like most of these, but I love this one :thumbup:

From another thread, this image is still fresh in my mind...

Now I have this idea of a guy walking around wearing a hat everywhere to cover the ripped-off top of his skull where the crab sits' date=' calmly munching ion a few shreds of gray matter while it manipulates his nerve endings with its claws...[/quote']

I made a parrot once who was telepathic. Nobody ever suspects the parrot!

Arguably the first modern Super Pet pre-dated comics. In Gladiator, the book that inspired a lot of elements in early Superman, Abenego Danner first gave the serum to a pregnant cat, creating a litter of bullet proof, super strong kittens. He poisoned most at birth, allowed one to grow until he was convinced it was uncontrollable (it was destroying the house and killing local livestock), and finally got it with poison in its food.

So, what if that very first Super-Kitten had survived? If its powers had progressed to the point that the poison no longer worked? An immortal Super Cat, with all the powers of Earth's first and greatest Super Hero, perhaps having developed a near human intellect over the decades, but with the psychological outlook of a cat? The joy in often deadly "play", the cruelty, the lack of respect for any rules or boundaries, save perhaps for the taking of pleasure in the company of one or two chosen humans.

What is Ape to Man? A laughingstock! And what shall man be, to Der Uberkatze!

How about a shark that can breathe air, fly, and go desolid? You can see that dorsal fin making a beeline for you - though it's obvious what it is, you're a little surprised to see it coming down the sidewalk...

I like this one heaps! I may steal this one next time I run a game...

Also like you I had an insect-motif group in my game called Swarm. Most of them were power-wise fairly bland representations of their name (eg: Ladybird had flight and armor, Staghorn was a massive brick), but a couple I quite liked were:

Aphid: shrinking tech-guy whose schtick was inventing things to destroy defences or electronic/comms equipment

Firefly: creates a blinding light that also does neural damage (NND)

Then there's the underwater bad guys, Blood Tide. A couple of the ones I liked from here....

Sea Hag: creates a black tar-like substance (sticky and choking in air) which disperses easily in water to create fields of darkness.

Lamprey: most of his body covered in tiny tendrils, he had clinging powers and could weaken the molecular strength of anything he touched (basically a drain on various defences). A side-effect of his power was that whenever he leeched something it became bleached out and brittle.

These two groups were both subsets of the larger organisation Menagerie....Menagerie served the role in my game of Marvel's Serpent Society, but with a much larger scale - basically a group of similarly-motifed criminals in a well-organised group. I'll stop there though before I start rattling off all 20 or 30 of them... :P

Here's a few off the top of my head.

Cerberus - A surgically altered 3-headed wolf.

Chimera - As above but using snake, a lion, and a goat.

Sloth - A sloth with a SPD Suppress.

Karkinos - A crab with growth.

Wolfwere - a wolf that can shapeshift into a human.

Basilisk - a spitting cobra with a gaze that Transforms targets into stone.

Cockatrice - as above but even scarier because it's a rooster!

Have a look see here for more ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Extreme

Go against type. Make them intelligent animals with standard superpowers, only meaner.

Dynamo Bear: His electrical bursts will make you cringe, and you still can't close with him, because he's a big bear with claws.

The Dream Gorilla: When Charlie the Chimpanzee goes to sleep in the zoo, he plans revenge on the hairless ones everywhere. His psychic self awakens, going on a rampage as "The Dream Gorilla!"

Gazellion: Lightning quick and tough to hit, Gazellion wears spiked body armor and possesses small horns on her head. An anthropomorphic gazelle, she is the team's brutal and vicious martial artist.

Hippodrome: A humanoid hippopotamus, Hippodrome is the most intelligent member of the team, and wears a suit of powered armor loaded with gadgets, rockets, and other unpleasantness. He disdains biting, believing it to be beneath his nature, but if he is bloodied, he flies into an animalistic fury.

The Great Turtle: The most disturbing and creepiest member of the team...On the back of the Great Turtle, the world was formed, or so the Great Turtle believes. While the others spawned various powers and abilities, the Great Turtle reached out for this ancient mystic concept and it answered. He reached deep into his spirit, and began to study the mystic arts. His rage is terrible and his power great, although he's a little slow physically, he makes up for it with massive amounts of armor and terrible spells based around the destruction of the environment and control of the natural world. He lets Zootopia lead because he reacts faster and out of loyalty for awakening his intellect. However, if Zootopia were to die, he would struggle to awaken intellect in other animals.

Zootopia (Leader): Once an animal rights activist, Zootopia was captured and experimented on, along with some of the animals he was advocating protecting by a group of right wing hunters and animal experiments activists. They injected him with the DNA of multiple animals, and his latent mutant powers activated. He used those powers to awaken the intelligence of the other beasts, and now he fights for the rights of the animal kingdom that he alone shall rule. Zootopia constantly shifts in form, and believes himself to be like the animals he is kin to.

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned the characters in Transformers Beast Wars. Just covert some of their robotic abilities to beastal powers then remove the robot aspect and you have dozens of personality types and names. Some of them have really weird powers like armor eating acid bite and a penguin with the ability to shoot balls of ice out of his ... nevermind. There aren't many telepaths in Transformers but enough bricks, energy projectors, brawlers, gadgeteers, etc to make up for it. I do know there's a comic listing all the Beast Wars characters from the different series (US and Japan) which includes many never seen in the US before.

Here's a few quirky ideas.

Did anyone ever see the British-Asian themed sketch show 'Goodness Gracious Me?' Which included that excellent sketch 'Skipinda the Punjabi Kangaroo'. One of the actors narrated 'Skip's' real thoughts over old episodes of the original series; proving him to be the most foul mouthed, angry, lecherous and downright unpleasant animal you'll ever meet. Give him some brick powers and unleash him on the world.

A mongoose would make a good ninja.

You could have an actual wolverine with regeneration powers etc.

Coil. Powered up electric eel.

Fossil. The last member of a nearly extinct species of wolf who can take on the forms of already extinct creatures such as the sabre tooth cat or the terror bird.

The Vorpal Bunny!

Nyarlathopet. An evil Lovecraftian deity hidden in the form of a toy poodle. Teleportation, shapeshifting and evil tentacle attacks.

I need some ideas for animal super villians. Not animal based but literally animals with sapience (or it is sentience?) and powers. I have Primate Prime' date=' the resquired psionic primate mastermind and K-9, a dog with the power of mental illusions and clairvoyance but I need a few others. Just ideas, need for character sheets. The campaign is late Bronze Age/Iron age in style.[/quote']

In the Bronze Age, and animal "villain" would be used primarily to highlight the conflict between man and nature. The Iron Age would likely continue that, focusing on human's abuse of the environment.

So to create an animal villain, consider what a sentient animal might want. :confused: How about?

Maka Koa: A powerful, pollution awakend Orca who is filled with fury at the toxic garbage that humans continue to dump into the Ocean. In vengence he caries out ruthless attacks upon shipping, costal communities, and even swimmers.

In addition to the powerful body (though hiddiously deformed) of a killer whale, his mutations have given him the ability command the very waters. Powers that he uses in his attacks.

He has no real ability to, or interrest in, coming on land but his activities will likely force the heroes to come to him.

Or going with Log's Fire Breathing Grizzly idea . . .

Hurit: A female grizzly bear who just happened to be too close to a dark ritual being performed by (Demon or Occult Themed Villains for campaign). The spill over magic from when that ritual was thwarted by some heroes gave her both sentience and fire based powers.

While she has had little use for her magical abilities, recently her forest has been openned to campers . . . who bring all manner of delicious food . . . (Can you see where this is going? :) )

One might also wonder if she has had any cubs since her awakening?

And finally . . .

Max: Villainous super-scientists don't just use humans for test subjects. A stray (large breed) dog, Max was picked up off the street by (campaign scientific villain)'s minion and taken back to the lab/hideout. There the scientist used him as a test bed for various bionic devices - with little thought to the pain he/she was inflicting on the poor animal. Some of the devices include computerized components in Max's brain that gave him scentience. Hating (scientific villain) and coming to hate humans in general, faking unconciousness after one of the scientist's tests, he siezed his chance to escape as soon as (scientific villain) left - killing serveral minions on the way out.

But, back on the street, Max found that other dogs are repulsed by his unnatural appearance and avoid him. Awakend, he can no longer really relate to them anyway.

Alone, maddened by pain and rejection, pursued by both his "creator" and (often well meaning) authorities, Max has become a monster to be feared.

Re: Suggestions needed: Animal super villains

Back when I was around 7 my best friend and I created (and illustrated) the JLA... JUSTICE LEAGUE of ANIMALS!!! We drew them battling their nearest counterparts in comics... (Powerful Panther vs. Black Panther, etc,) :D

The JLA's ranks included:

Electric Eagle

Mighty Hog

Karate Cat

Powerful Panther

Micro Rat

Megaton Monkey

... and more (I just can't remember them, darn it!)

I think the comic we started was called "The Day The Animals Fought Back!"

Thanks for reminding me of those great old days!!!! :thumbup: