Top Signs You Need to Rethink Your Playing Style....

Adventus

Re: Top Signs You Need to Rethink Your Playing Style....

If another player can take a full forty-five minutes going to the store to pick up more soda and you STILL HAVEN'T MADE A DECISION on what your character will do, more than rethinking your playing style should be in order.

(Sadly, I was witness to this particular debacle. And the soda-getting player wasn't necessary at all to the moron, so it wasn't a case of needing to wait for him anyways before she had to do something. Of course, the idiot in question was the GM's roommate and probable 3rd member of a menage a trois so getting rid of her would never have been an option.)

When any character you play in any campaign' date=' any genre, is indistinguishable from every other character that you play in any campaign, any genre.[/quote']

Rats! I was going to use that one. I knew one person who did - even named it the same all the time - "I'll call him Black Wolf." We always knew what his power set was like and his personality was. Did help in nailing down the group mix though.

YOU can't tell what character you're playing, because all your characters have the same personality, attitudes, mannerisms, motivations, and catchphrases, regardless of power level, capabilities, or genre.

You know you have a problem when:

1)Your character gets his turn skipped and noone notices (Especially bad if you don't notice either.)

2)You don't show up for a "all must be present" session and no one notices.

3)You don't show up for multiple sessions and no one notices.

Hmm... I see a theme here.

4)You don't show up and the next time someone in the group meets you they say "Man, the session was great last time. Things went so smoothly, unlike normal."

5)A new campaign is started, and you are specifically disinvited.

Rats! I was going to use that one. I knew one person who did - even named it the same all the time - "I'll call him Black Wolf." We always knew what his power set was like and his personality was. Did help in nailing down the group mix though.

One group I was with had a guy like that. Every character was a "rockstar" with elven features, a redheaded biker girlfriend named Kevin, Paul or Alex.

When by 'dice', you mean something other than six-siders, or what you do to beef when making chili.

When your character's first combat action results the sudden death of half the party, and at least one bad guy. And the game is TFOS or TOON.

When you phone, email, IM, text, or stalk your GM hourly with changes to your character sheet that are what you "really meant to take."

When your character's first noncombat action results in the pregnancy of half the party, and at least one NPC.

When you find compelling reasons to attack player characters "because it's IC," while there are NPC's presenting a larger threat to your character's safety, values and goals.

When your rogue character steals from the rest of the party. And you're playing Call of Cthulu or Paranoia.

When you keep a running tally of PC deaths your character has caused. And tell people.

You haven't brought anything to bribe the GM with.

The GM looks at the large, nine topping pizza, magnum bottle of Jolt Plus, party cannister of Cheetos, and hand-made leather dice bag inscribed with his initials and says, "Not nearly enough." And you're the GM's wife.

When the rest of the party might as well be your high-level hirelings.

Seriously, the player of an assassin/swashbuckler told the mage, the cleric, and the assassin what to do, since his CHARACTER knew more about magic, the divine and assassination then the rest of the party combined.

When any character you play in any campaign' date=' any genre, is indistinguishable from every other character that you play in any campaign, any genre.[/quote']

...Or when every character you play, no matter how different and unique they start out, devolves into a caricature of YOU within three sessions. To the point that the other Players dont envision your character at all; they just see the Player in a flimsy "Ahz and Skeeve" disguise.

...When every session, the same Player adds more and more to the character's "backstory" to justify additional in character knowledge or additional skills which were -never there- in the original character's concept.

(Yes, Ive gamed with this guy. Each character started off different, and ended up identical to the Player in attitudes, outlook, and interaction. No, it was not a good thing)

... when you put so much of yourself into your character that any and all criticism the character recieves, regardless of how much you really deserved it, is taken as a personal insult.

Like, say, considering using a rope and grapple to climb up the side of a building in broad daylight without distraction or concealment to be 'subtly casing the joint'.

When the rest of the party might as well be your high-level hirelings.

When the other players repeatedly have to remind you that the rest of the party is not, in fact, your character's high-level hirelings.

The Gm gives up naming Npc's. They wont live more than a session around you.

You ask the Gm the name of every npc, even mooks, that tramp and his dog. Do not do this, it is evil. :eg:

Rules Lawyery. You are there do do cool stuff, not quote statistics and canon.

You feel a deep sense of injustice when things dont happen the way you would have liked, then act on it to the detriment of the game and other players. You then sulk when rocks fall on your character, he dies. If you dont understand why this generates spontaneous rockfalls/accelerating trucks for the urban setting, then roleplaying probably isnt for you.

You cant readily hold the d6 for your most basic attack in one hand- and still want more power.

*Nb. I am aware hand sizes vary :thumbup: *