Odd Costume Designs

steriaca

Well, i was pondering on odd costume designs.

Would it be possable to create The Damsel's costume, or when I have a Computer of my own AND Champions Online, I would have to do something like a stopgap messer?

Basicly, the costume looks like this...an oldfashion white dress, with puffed sleaves and a skirt which reaches to just above the anckles, pancake makeup, and a wig full of ringlet curls. Oh, and a combat parasol.

Oh, and anyone else hopeing to be able to create odd costume designs.

And I don't mean the nacked speedster named "The Streek" eather.

Re: Odd Costume Designes

And I don't mean the nacked speedster named "The Streek" eather.

He'd probably be better than the briefs-clad German CoH hero my friend created, Wunderpants!

I'm hoping that things like billowing cloaks with absurd collars (á la Doctor Strange and the Vision will be a possibility. The CoH designer is nice, but far too many of the options don't look either heroic or "comic-booky" to my old eyes.

I suspect they will. A big part of the reason CoH didn't start with capes was just the time crunch, I believe. I vaguely recall that they actually had made a start on programming them, and just ran out of time before the launch date. So they decided to just leave 'em out instead of trying to launch the game with the most important costume piece looking like crap. It's been a few years, though, and my memory ain't what it used to be...

Yeah, I remember the capes being put in later because they weren't perfect for launch. They didn't want shoddy-looking capes. And as far as it goes, I think they have the best capes of any game I've played, hands down.

So, hoping they have capes at launch.

As for the other options, seems like they're going to have a much larger selection for Champions Online. One of the characters played by the Game Informer people had a machine gun pop out of a port on its shoulder, which is pretty cool.

Forget capes. Give me a hoop dress and puffie shoulders.

Ah, the joys of RPing a character who's costume of choice is a late 19th centery Southern Bell dress with heavy pancake makeup on her face.

City of X, allowed the puff sleeves only with shirts. I am hoping too for much more flexibility. I would like to create costumes from Magic Girls, School Girls to something like Witch Hunter Robin.

They've specifically said that flexibility on movement powers is in the works. So I imagine they're saying the SFX for your flight will be your option--so Wings, Hoverchair, lotus-position, Superman "one arm raised", jet assisted take off, etc, would seem to be the kind of things I'd picture.

The cool thing about this project is that now that they've made a "standard" for a superheroic game and then sold it, they have to try and beat it :)

They've specifically said that flexibility on movement powers is in the works. So I imagine they're saying the SFX for your flight will be your option--so Wings, Hoverchair, lotus-position, Superman "one arm raised", jet assisted take off, etc, would seem to be the kind of things I'd picture.

The cool thing about this project is that now that they've made a "standard" for a superheroic game and then sold it, they have to try and beat it :)

I'm still holding out hope for Greatest American Hero style flailing about flying style...

I'd think such a thing would be virtually compulsory! :) (And' date=' probably, not too difficult to get a JPG file uploaded....)[/quote']

I think that could be a bad idea. I have far too many images of what some jerks might try to upload as their Icons. :eek:

I think that could be a bad idea. I have far too many images of what some jerks might try to upload as their Icons. :eek:

Unless you charge something for uploading each file, in which case it becomes a new revenue stream! You of course, get no refund for any rejected file.

Re: Odd Costume Designs

I don't think that jerks or immature people are any more or less common in MMOs than elsewhere. It's not a problem of frequency so much as it is of social mechanisms. If someone is a jerk at, say, your in-person tabletop RPG session, you can automatically adjust the problem by excluding him from your social network in the future. You have the means of "quality control" directly in your hands.

In an MMO, or any other online community, you don't have that. Peoples' behavior is divorced from the consequences of that behavior, and as a result jerks are more problematic. You can't just boot them from the game. In an ideal world an MMO company would have thousands of people on staff patrolling for and correcting negative, community-harming behaviors, but as we all know this isn't an ideal world. (And of course, such power could just as easily be abused.) So we just gotta take the good with the bad, ignore the jerks as best we can, and have some fun. ;)