Champions games you've run

teh bunneh

I wanted to create a thread for people to talk about the Champions games they've GM'd. The ground rules are simple:

1. This is for Champions only. Not Fantasy Hero, or Star Hero, or any of the other genres (although, since this is Hero, some crossover is to be expected). :)
  2. This is for Champions only. Not M&M, or FASERIP, or DCU, or any of the others. Those are fine games, all, but these are the Hero boards after all.
  3. This is only for the games you've GM'd, not the ones you only participated in as a player.

My games, from most recent to way-way-way back, were:

Avengers: The Next Generation and Thunderbolts: The Next Generation

Two games I'm currently running over on HeroCentral, they take place in the Marvel Universe one generation after the universe we all know. The old heroes and villains have mostly retired, died, or left the planet, and their sons and daughters have taken up the task of defending the world from alien invasions and insane supervillains.

UNITY 2010

After a massive alien invasion in the late 60s, the United Nations has sponsored a number of super teams to defend the earth from manaces, both alien and local. The PCs eventually learned (to their dismay) that the UN (and at least one of the UNITY teams) had been infiltrated and hopelessly compromised by the aliens, who were setting the Earth up for a second invasion.

The Elementals

The first superheroes appeared a generation ago. They were like gods, and strode the Earth righting wrongs wherever they found them. Then they vanished. Now, thirty years later, superhumans are once again walking the earth. Nowhere near as powerful as their predecessors, their presence has still managed to change the world in ways both wonderful and terrible. But now someone was killing these new heroes, and the PCs had to uncover the conspiracy and stop the creatures responsible for the deaths of the first heroes.

C.A.T.s

This took place in the Image Universe, shortly after McFarlane, Leifield, and the others started the company. It was a dark and bloody game; villains and heroes alike had large Killing Attacks and pulled them out with great frequency. The PCs were recruited by a mysterious agency to stop a madman from building and unleashing a weather-controlling weapon on an unsuspecting world.

Dark Champions

Twenty years ago, Nocturne was the city of the future. But when its heroic protectors were murdered it sank into a miasma of hopelessness and crime. The one person who held back the darkness was Heartbreaker, formerly a second-rate hero but now the only savior for a city gone mad. Then, Heartbreaker was found dead, and her friends and proteges had to investigate her murder and bring the culprits to justice... rough justice. The PCs were all street-level, low-powered supers. The game was bleak and deadly, but mostly consisted of investigation and detective work (interspersed with occasional bouts of shockingly bloody gun-fu and swordplay).

HERO

The first superhero game I ever ran, shortly after Champions was released, back in '82 or so. We had no idea what we were doing, and there was never any attempt at coherent world-building, plot, or character development. HERO was the name of the super-team. ;)

Hmmm... I sense a theme. Old heroes dead or gone, new heroes have to step up to the plate to save the world. Wonder what that says about me? :rofl:

Re: Champions games you've run

Great concept for a thread' date=' I would throw some rep your way but it says I gots to pass it around some more first. So any ideas why you like the new brand of heroes or is just something that seems to evolve when you get ready to create settings?[/quote']

Good question. In at least two cases (The Elementals and Marvel: The Next Generation) I inherited the world from another GM who moved away or disappeared. In the Dark Champions game, it was because I wanted to give the campaign a focus, and give the PCs a reason to work together. "Investigate the murder of your friend/the city's defender" seemed like a good way to do it.

I dunno. I guess the whole "next generation of heroes" really appeals to me for some reason. :)

West Guard: Name was swiped from Aaron Allston's strike force. World was mostly 3rd-4th Ed Champions Universe.

There were three of us. We each had 2 characters (yes, I, the GM had two "GMPC"s who served as a) A Worf Brick (Used to show how tough the opponents were) and the token scientist so I could esplain things))

It was a blast, I had to work around a broken powerful character and a broken not powerful character.

But if I had it all to do again we'd have invited a few more players. (Beyond me, my best friend and my brother)

Good question. In at least two cases (The Elementals and Marvel: The Next Generation) I inherited the world from another GM who moved away or disappeared. In the Dark Champions game, it was because I wanted to give the campaign a focus, and give the PCs a reason to work together. "Investigate the murder of your friend/the city's defender" seemed like a good way to do it.

I dunno. I guess the whole "next generation of heroes" really appeals to me for some reason. :)

I can see part of this being that you can provide a rich history and still leave the players enough room to be pioneers.

Metahumans Rising

Publicly known metahumas are a recent phenomena. Although, they have existed as unique anomalies throughout history until the Strasbourg Event in World War I that sparked a genetic shift in a handful of individuals. The campaign itself picks up early January Nineteen Ninety Nine, there are an estimated fourteen hundred metahumans world wide some good some bad. The US has two government bodies dedicated to metahumans and research. One team of metahumans known as the Zeno Consortium aid the UN other small groups and individuals dot the major cities of the world.

The current campaign is set in Arlington Virgina, over the last fifty years it has evolved into a megacity in the shadows of the nations capitol. The players belonging to several organizations have come together to to solve a major hijacking. This is the first story for the team. The game is currently hosted on Hero Central. There's more background on the page and on the wiki I set up in my sig.

I run three Champions games over at Hero Central.. Rainbow's End,RogueKnights and The Running Gag. All three take place in my own universe... I call it the Rainbow Universe. Most of the characters are redone from an old universe I used to have when I ran before.

My FtF group have many campaigns involving Champions. We did many different groups of heroes over the years. StormWatch was the name of one. We had one called F Troop, which was fun. The first one never had a name, but those characters were classic power gamer chaarcters.

My latest Champs run the old heroes were around, but not commonly available. I tend to run in the Marvel universe, just for ease of transition, rather than the Champs universe. That keeps down the Wolvie clones. So, for example, Doc Samson was a Dean of UCSF medical center, where the heroes wind up a lot for their wounds or other's. They haven't gone looking for the rest, yet, for some reason. Could be the cautionary tales I throw in: last time they called for high-powered help, there were serious problems, and a doctor died.

The Protectors - Really a solo player campaign with a friend who ended up being my roommate midway through the campaign. It had an occasional guest appearance from other players, but not many. A young heroine (A brick inexplicably named Quasar) finds herself studying law and working as a legal assistant when chance brings her into contact with one of the world's few renown heroes. Together they expose the evil in the firm, join up with other heroes (NPCs), including her sister, and found the world's premiere superhero team, taking over and revamping a base they seized from Viper. There weren't a lot of twists, but this campaign was played 3 to 7 times each week for nearly 6 years--that's a ton of sessions. Eventually, I got rid of my big binder of villainy and narrowed it all down to...

The New World... Quasar re-invents herself, her old universe having destroyed. Only a few others slipped through. This campaign lasted almost a year before I moved out.

5th City... My current campaign, based around a legend that five great cities will rise and fall and when the fifth one falls, we're all doomed. The campaigns theme is "Nothing is a coincidence". Often in a game characters come across multiple crimes that seem unrelated, but often have something to do with one another if they look carefully enough. I've technically only run the campaign for thirteen 12-hour sessions. Currently on hold in favor of other people running games.

5th City... My current campaign' date=' based around a legend that five great cities will rise and fall and when the fifth one falls, we're all doomed. The campaigns theme is "Nothing is a coincidence". Often in a game characters come across multiple crimes that seem unrelated, but often have something to do with one another if they look carefully enough. I've technically only run the campaign for thirteen 12-hour sessions. Currently on hold in favor of other people running games.[/quote']

This seems very high concept and a lot of work on your part, I like it a lit though. How often have the players made the connections?

Apocalypse Champions

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43014

The Champions of Vancouver

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32740

The NEW Champions of Vancouver

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57725

The new NEW Champions of Vancouver

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59399

The Resistance

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60712

Cheers

QM

New Universe: My first (and only) attempt to run as sole GM; the campaign was set in the Wild Cards universe. It was a fairly dark campaign, although not quite as dark as Iron Age stuff. While the campaign imploded after about a year, I learned a whole lot about what to do (and more importantly, what NOT to do) when running a campaign. All this experience went towards running

MidGuard: Our current campaign, which has been running since 1993, and currently has 5 GMs/8 players running in a fairly four-color/Silver Age setting. The PCs were the world's first public metahumans, although the backstory had a few Batman/Green Hornet-type costumed adventurers in the 1930's and 40's. The campaign world started in 2000; and is currently in 2008. The campaign has also spun off a Dark Champions low-powered (250 Pt.) supers game set in Hudson City and a Pulp Hero campaign set in the same world 100 years earlier.

MidGuard is an international team secretly based in Oslo, Norway, and funded (also secretly) by a large philanthropic organization, the Europa 2000 Foundation. E2000 is sort of a cross between the Jet Propulsion Labs and Amnesty International which specializes in medical and high-tech research, and is the world's leading organization studying metahumans since their appearance in 2000. The group enjoys good relations with most Western democracies, but is not so popular with rogue nations such as Iraq and North Korea.

I'm surprised when I think of it, but it's only two games.

Vanguard

When the worlds premier heroes proved unreliable, the organization charged with protecting the world FROM paranormals formed their own group. Vanguard was formed in the City of Brotherly love. Central to the East Coast, but outside the hot zones of NY and DC, Philadelphia needed a little organized hero help. After some early success, they were called into a growing international crisis, which lead to a meeting in the middle east with that 'unreliable' group. Forced together by the crisis, they raced around the globe fighting one catastrophe after another, the world in the balance.

--A long time ago when I was introduced to Champions ... early 80's for sure, I ran in a shared universe with my friend Keith. The world's Premiere Hero's were the Texas Rangers, who didn't get along well with authority. My game was Vanguard. The high-light of the campaign was the 'Mass Run' or crossover game, when both teams got together one hot summer weekend and saved the world together.

-- There were about 20 PC's in that 'mass run'

-- There was a low-light to match the high-light, the last game of the campaign, but that's a story for another time.

Sky High

Based on the movie, it's the next year, and the PC's are the new freshman class. The game started with that first painful day of school, and has finally crawled in that detailed game way to Thanksgiving Day. Holidays seem prone for excitement. Halloween saw visits by Classic monsters, and even the pre-turkey day lunch was interrupted by Giant mechanical Turkeys, and the Ancient Squash God!

-- I started this game over 2 years ago, but it only ran sporadically until this fall. Even now we only average 2 games a month, but it is our regular game.

-- The players are my four children, all boys.

-- About half the games have a special guest star - either an extra friend as a player (we always have a special round of 'power placement'), or an adult friend as a guest villain.

"No-Name Campaign"

I was new to Champions (circa 1984) and my players used the same characters from week to week. Pretty much stopping bank robberies and keeping the street corner (remember the map that came with the boxed set) safe.

The New York Sentinels

Silver Age

A group of heroes based out of New York. The first continuity I enjoyed as a GM. I used subplots and sub-subplots to drive my players mad. One characters DNPC girlfriend turned out to also be his hunted (damn ninjas). Another had his bio-altered origin effect his son leading to a junior superhero and a divorce. And everything that happened was all the fault of their unknown arch-enemy Malachite.

Alliance

Bronze Age

JLA styled supers in one of the largets groups I ever had to deal with. It didn't help that one of the players was having so much fun he invited everyone he knew to the game (thanks Craig). Red Storm, Delt, Golem, Valkyrie, El Mano Rojo, Angel, Superball, Cyber, Maxum, Tommy Heat, Quill, Amazon, Maggie, and Squishy Head

Alliance II

Bronze/Iron Age

A west coast version of the above. Not as many players, but I always ended the sessions with cliffhangers. And we invented the Coma Closet for the Dragon.

Alliance 2010

Iron Age

Elsewhere styled game set in a not so bright future. Imagine an evil Superman with Caps shield as the bad guys main lackey.

Horizon Institute

Iron Age (trying to bring back a Silver Age)

A campaign built around the premise of a Silver Age hero trying to teach Silver Age morals to an Iron Age generation.

Vanguard - late 80's->mid 2000's, with several long breaks. LA based supers. After long break, had the original team disappear and brought in new characters for another run in the same universe, though little directly carried over from the old game (mostly new villains and such). For the big campaign finale the old heroes returned and teamed up with the new ones to save the world.

WWII - team of Allied heroes bustin' Axis chops.

Unnamed mentalists - 'people with powers' game, everyone had psionics of some sort and were being hunted by the token evil MIB/Shop organization. Didn't really last long.

Strike Force - Team of UNTIL supers, two different incarnations.

Reimagined - Take established names, make a hero/villain with a different twist. Ran both FTF and on HeroCentral, both fizzled.

Sentinels - super high-point game, points largely based on player contributions. http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20962

A few folks never got characters finished, ran a few sessions with those that had, then group drama cut off two of the finished characters so the game went into indefinite limbo.

Thunderbolts - The Marvel:TNG/Bunnyverse game Bill mentions above. Took over from the prior GM, stepped away for a while due to Real Life issues and Bill took over for awhile, getting back into it.

Variety of one-shots and other things to be sure, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

Horizon Institute

Iron Age (trying to bring back a Silver Age)

A campaign built around the premise of a Silver Age hero trying to teach Silver Age morals to an Iron Age generation.

I picture this one having a lot potential unintended humor. A class of twenty gritty gun toting heroes who fight gangs and organized crime all with black suits of some type and trench coats sitting there trying to listen to the teacher. The six five never has to shave blond golden child in four color suit with long flowing cape, it flows in the class room thanks to the fan, as he discusses tactics for dealing with several types of super-ape and/or 22nd Dimensional tricksters who may poop in from time to time.

This seems very high concept and a lot of work on your part' date=' I like it a lit though. How often have the players made the connections?[/quote']

Well, I sure don't make it easy on 'em. In the first run of the campaign (7 twelve-hour sessions), they didn't quite get the picture until game six. I think they started to spot some of the plot threads and you could see them trying to find ways to tie them together much earlier in the second run, probably around game 3.

I developed the idea because back in the 80's I used to love the Chris Clairemont X-men and how he'd rip something out of the past that you completely forgot about. I was a continuity nut, which it doesn't pay to be in this current age of badly written comics and ignored continuity. I want the players to get that "oh yeh!" face :)

I developed the idea because back in the 80's I used to love the Chris Clairemont X-men and how he'd rip something out of the past that you completely forgot about. I was a continuity nut, which it doesn't pay to be in this current age of badly written comics and ignored continuity. I want the players to get that "oh yeh!" face :)

Claremont: the master of foreshadowing. There is an issue of Spider-Woman, right after Rogue steals Carol Danvers powers, and all the X-men and Spider Woman are in the hospital waiting to find out if Carol will live. Cyclops is standing there and a group of little kids in hospital gowns all walk by. One little red-haired girl walks up to Cyclops and says "Hi my name is Maddie Pryor and I'm 8 years old." Then walks away.

Yeah I know....

And don't forget about a box that shows up addressed to Lucas Cage in an issue of Powerman and Iron Fist that nobody opens and just leaves sitting on the desk. Jump ahead to the time that Iron Fist is being brought back from death and he and Luke see each other after 10 years of seperation and Luke notices the package sitting on a shelf in Danny's apartment.

Claremont went insane because of his sub-plots and foreshadowing. I'm of the belief he was going to reveal that Gambit's secret was being a vampire/mutant that had been created by Dracula. But he left the X-Books before he could so instead we discover that Gambit picked the lock on the Molock Tunnels. (I HATE LIEFIELD!!)

I've played plenty of Champions, but only run two campaigns, both short ones (less than 6 months of weekly play).

The first was a reaction to the high-power, JLA style game that was our regular Champions fare in the early-mid 80's.

It was called "The Nu-men" and was an X-man-inspired game where all the players had to choose a single "theme" for their powers. Aliens, Supertech (and IIRC, Magic) were specifically disallowed as origins. The general tone was Uncanny X-Men (Days of Future Past, etc: relatively serious - people were gunning for our heores, but no-one ever actually died excpet minor NPCs). I shared co-GM'ing duties with our regular Champs GM, taking turns at running story arcs, with our own characters being "off-screen NPCs" when we were running. My character was Nexus - a time-manipulating type that Fitz dubbed "Most irritating character EVER" - high praise indeed :D There was also some cross-over from the main game, with a few of the lower-powered characters leaking over. Basically we spent most of our time fighting moderate level threats: crime gangs and organizations like Viper, while the main group "The Protectorate" took on world-spanning threats like the Alien Invasion and the Megalomaniac Criminal Mastermind.

Characters involved a female Pyrokinetic (Frazzle), a guy who could mimic other people's powers (MirrorMan), a guy who could fly really, really, fast (Wing), a guy who could go desolid (Ghost), and a catgirl type character with claws and regeneration (Danged if I remember what she was called - the team usually called her the mad slasher) and a guy who could manipulate darkness (Shroud). Sigh. It was a fun game, but writing this makes the team sound like "The Civic-minded Five"

The second game run in '88-'89 was called "Team Omega". This was not 4-colour and verged on Dark Champions. Again each of the characters was required to choose a single power/theme, but this time limited to 50 real points. There was also the requirement that the characters could all pass as human (we didn't put that restriction on the players :D). In this game, the characters were all operatives of the secretive "Omega project" - basically super-powered agents, called in for projects that the regular authorities could not handle.

In the course of the game, we had The Super-sniper, The Regenerator, The Bulletproof Guy, the Really Strong Guy, the Telekinetic Kid, the Irresistible Woman (High COM and pheromone based mind control), the Immortal and the Shapeshifter. The 50 point real limit on powers meant it was a heavily skill/gear based game: this was the game where we came up with the idea of Equipment pools, as later used in Dark Champions.

Tone was Watchmen-like, though perhaps not quite as grim: deaths occurred, though characters drew the line at killing except in self defence. Themes were a covert conflict between various covert"superteams" and other elite units. There were no "caped heroes" and superpowers were apparently a recent appearance. As the game went on, the players discovered that the covert conflict going on was actually the result of an invasion from a parallel earth where superpowers developed early on and the "powered people" had eventually conquered and then enslaved the non-powered "Norms". However, reliance on powers had meant that technology and social structures were relatively primitive compared to our Earth.

The dimensional gate had actually opened back in the 1940's - and everyone with powers was either an invader or a child, grandchild or experiment of the invaders. To complicate things, there were three factions: one simply wanted to invade our earth and enslave the un-powered weaklings, one was trying to prevent this for fear of sparking a war in which the advanced weaponry and huge armies of our world would inflict vast losses even on their superpowered forces. And one faction wanted to infiltrate our society and secretly control it, while looting its resources. Eventually the characters were able to make an alliance with group Number#2 - with the goal of closing the gate.

It was a fun game, but we never got to finish the story arc due to player attrition - people moving away, having kids, etc.

cheers, Mark

"No-Name Campaign"

I was new to Champions (circa 1984) and my players used the same characters from week to week. Pretty much stopping bank robberies and keeping the street corner (remember the map that came with the boxed set) safe.

Oh yeah, I remember that map. I think I may still have it somewhere. Good times, good times.

Alliance

Bronze Age

JLA styled supers in one of the largets groups I ever had to deal with. It didn't help that one of the players was having so much fun he invited everyone he knew to the game (thanks Craig). Red Storm, Delt, Golem, Valkyrie, El Mano Rojo, Angel, Superball, Cyber, Maxum, Tommy Heat, Quill, Amazon, Maggie, and Squishy Head

"Squishy Head"? Hah. Yeah, there's a player like that in every group, isn't there? :rofl:

Bay City Champions

The second superhero campaign I've ever had the opportunity to run and probably with the third longest running time (next to PanTalos and Star Wars). Set in a blend of the 4th edition Champions world and the Fuzion New Millennium timeline, it's a few years following the Proprietor War that devestated the superhuman community. Now, in the sprawling metropolis of Bay City, a new team of Champions emerges to honor the name of those that have come before them.

(Some of the most well-developed characters I ever had a the honor of granting XPs to.) :thumbup:

Century Station

Short-lived campaign (one rollicking adventure) set in the same world as Bay City. A new young team of heroes forms in the city of Century Station. A lot of focusing on the logistics of making a superhero team while battling a dysfunctional band of villains. Would have loved to continue this one.

(Might have to dig up and post some details to these campaigns one day...)

Lonewalker

Favorite Moments:

Since it's discussion about past campaigns. As GM's were there any you know "magic moments" that solidified the campaign or drove a story home for you? Since Metahumans Rising is just getting started I really don't have a strong unifying, that was the uber cool moment yet. How about you out there in internet land?

Bay City Champions

Century Station

I played in both of these. They were a blast. But you forgot The A-Team, which took place in the same universe, just 10 years earlier. It started as a Heroes Unlimited game, but eventually migrated to Champions because... well, because Palladium is kinda teh_suxX0rz. It wasn't the A-Team like Mr. T and Dirk Bennedict. That was the unofficial team name, because everyone on the team had a name that started with "A" -- Angel, Aurora, Avalanche, Armament, and Erinyes. OK, Erinyes doesn't start with an "A" but it sounds like it might. ;)

(Might have to dig up and post some details to these campaigns one day...)

Yeah, you oughta. :thumbup:

I played in both of these. They were a blast. But you forgot The A-Team' date='[/b'] which took place in the same universe, just 10 years earlier. It started as a Heroes Unlimited game, but eventually migrated to Champions because... well, because Palladium is kinda teh_suxX0rz.

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten that we did eventually covert that over to HERO! I'd partly blocked the memory of a chunk of that game 'cause of the Palladium aspect. :ugly: Poor Wendigo/Avalanche who wanted to be the mutant animal brick of the team - but was weaker than Angel, who rolled lucky on the Powers table and ended up with Karmic Power and Invulnerability. :snicker:

That was the unofficial team name' date=' because everyone on the team had a name that started with "A" -- Angel, Aurora, Avalanche, Armament, and Erinyes. OK, Erinyes doesn't start with an "A" but it sounds like it might. ;) [/quote']

Well, Angel and Rainbow/Aurora were not the brightest superpowered blonde teenagers out there...

Villain Guard (just as the heroines break out of their cells): "Look out! Those girls are loose!"

Aurora: "We are not!"

Angel: "It's just a vicious rumor!"

GM: :nonp:

Ah, those were the days. :)

Oh, yeah, and I believe the team eventually adopted the moniker "Argonauts."

Lonewalker