Gang members

Trebuchet

Re: Gang members

Wouldn't they more likely have some Weapon Familiarities instead of Skill Levels? I don't imagine most of them have any actual training with weapons; and any combat training is likely to be pretty rudimentary.

True, I forgot about WFs. I don't think one level would be too out of the ordinary if they'd been in the biz for a while, though. You don't need to be trained by an expert to get skill levels; you just need to practice.

The 10s would likely only be in some of their physical stats, mostly because they're typically young and male.

I wouldnt give most of them any levels, and maybe not even WF... The mere fact that they are aggressive, have guns, are willing to use them, and move about in groups is enough to allow them to prey on citizens.

In Hero terms' date=' what do you think a typical member of a street gang would look like? I'm not talking about some fictional group of black belts, but the more typical members who are likely to prey on citizens and engage in fights with hostile gangs.[/quote']

Mostly straight 8s in their characteristics with particularly tough or fast, etc ones having a 10 somewhere. Weapon familiarities. The really experienced might have skill levels in a preferred weapon but I don't their OCV with anything would get much higher than 5 and that's extreme. AK of their turf, streetwise, maybe some Ks about the local gang scene and layout. PD 2-4 at the highest. Spd 2-3. Real rank and file might not even have WFs. There are allot of punks that get by on the fact they have a gun, knife, etc and seem willing to use it.

I'm assuming there won't be any need to go into deep detail since these will be "mooks" for the PCs to face?

I think gangers are normal people but who have the benefet of actually been in fights, have weapons and are ready and willing to use them.

I'd make 'normal' people use the Grace Under Fire rules but gangers, cops, soldiers, martial artists and other 'fighters' not.

Perhaps 'nomal' people could take that as a disadvantage?

I doubt if many of them have actual training or even much practice with their weapons. I don't know if I'd even give them WF with the guns they have.

Do you think they are interested in actually going to a shooting range and putting in the time to get any skill levels? I just can't see it.

In Hero terms' date=' what do you think a typical member of a street gang would look like? I'm not talking about some fictional group of black belts, but the more typical members who are likely to prey on citizens and engage in fights with hostile gangs.[/quote']

Generally for Champions I use STR (10-13) DEX (8-11) CON (10-13) BOD (8) PD/ED (3-4) SPD (2) STUN (20) Running +1", 1 HtH or Ranged Combat Level, Climbing, Streetwise, plus either Stealth or Shadowing & AK: Turf for common gangers. Leaders vary considerably based on the campaign.

Wouldn't they more likely have some Weapon Familiarities instead of Skill Levels? I don't imagine most of them have any actual training with weapons; and any combat training is likely to be pretty rudimentary.

The unfamilar weapon rule isn't normally used in Champions so WF wouldn't be necessary unless you're using it. I've found that using it makes some Super concepts considerably more expensive w/o greatly increasing effectiveness.

I'm surprised. The only thing that I'd give street toughs that I wouldn't give an everyman is either extra offensive PRE or the intimidation skill - and probably the former. I'd probably also limit it to when they are on their turf or with their gang.

They are street toughs who have access to weapons - looking at the results of street battles they dont have any particular skill in using the weapons - casualties are almost random.

I might also give them psychological disads to reflect their need to act in certain ways - distinctive looks, Psych: Needs to be respected, Psych: Commits casual violence, Psych: Territorial

Something like that. Otherwise they are your 16-18 year old everyman statwise and skills wise.

Doc

I usually give'em a +1D6 HA "Brawling" skill, because in a fight experiance counts for a lot, and compared to ordinary folks they are experianced. Other than that they're likely just normals...though in champs I build them at 50+50 so the heros can feel good while smacking them around...

Here are an assortment of Generic Thugs and gang bangers that I have used in some of my Dark Champions games.

EDIT: I have an Outlaw Biker Type 2 but five attachments is the limit. If someone wants that one let me know. I also have a generic cop write-up.

Typical Dime-A-Dozen Street Thug:

STR 10

DEX 10

CON 10

BOD 10

INT 8

EGO 8

PRE 10

COM 8

PD 2

ED 2

SPD 2

REC 4

END 20

STUN 20

Movement: Running 6"/12"

Perks

Fringe Benefit: Membership (gang)

Skills

+1 OCV with one weapon of choice

CK: Home City 11-

Streetwise 11-

WF: Blades, Small Arms

Disadvantages

DF: Gang Colors

Social Limitation: Criminal Record

That's about all you really need for a typical street gang mook.

Interesting write up, a little too high in allot of areas for my tastes. I'd give a typical street thug one 10, maybe if they were supposed to be noteworthy in that area, usually strength but I see most gangs as getting by on intimidation and force of numbers more than ability and 10s are being the Heroic/Cinematic character baseline.

First let me say I embrace the idea of a range of characteristics for normals instead of a hard and fast strait 8's (My range is 8-12)

Gangers would be on the high end for the physical (so 10-12), while low end on the Int (8-10), and Average on the EGO & PRE (8-12), with a positive rep to help cause fear, streetwise, AK:Hometurf, KS: Gang culture (Everyman), and maybe a WF or two. They might also have as an Everyman a PS: Criminal

Nexus:

True, but even these guys would be easy meat in your typical "normals" campaign. You rarely see Heroic level PCs (and NPCs) with primary stats less that 15 in most games. YMMV, naturally.

Yeah, in game within those guidelines the write up fits and I didn't mean to sound like the final arbiter on what's the right way to do it. I'm sorry if it came across like that. Speaking for my games only if the character are supposed to be truly "normal" they rarely have a stat over 15 and usually only one that high so that write would be for a high end "thug" in most of them.

Yeah' date=' in game within those guidelines the write up fits and I didn't mean to sound like the final arbiter on what's the right way to do it. I'm sorry if it came across like that. Speaking for my games only if the character are supposed to be truly "normal" they rarely have a stat over 15 and usually only one that high so that write would be for a high end "thug" in most of them.[/quote']

No problem. Perhaps you could post stats for a typical mook in your games so we can compare notes?

I don't usually give them full stats but assume 8s in about everything, a thug described as "strong" might have a 10 strength, "Tough" a 10 con. Int could be 7-8 for the "dim" but being uneducated doesn't necessarily mean slow witted.

PD 2-3 (for tough)

Spd 2.

Some would have WF with a familiar attack, the modern everyman skills with PS: Member of Gang "x" covering allot of things with AK: gang's territory.

A gang member for me is.

CV 3 maybe less if they have no combat experience.

Body 8

A weapon.

Junky, waster gangers just don't put in the time to be good at anything other than intimidation, 10 presence maybe and perhaps 10-12 str if they seriously hit the weights during a stint in jail. Generally speaking being a junky crackhead is not good for your Str/Con/Bod/Ego.

No martial arts, no combat training, no weapon skills, no time in the gym and no time on the pistol range. Nothing.

If they had a PS they'd be doing that job instead of mugging grannies and shooting up.