A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

Theron

Re: A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

And now for something completely different....

This goes with the Ugly Uniforms! thread over in NGD. This is my rendering of the uniforms of the 1960 Denver Broncos.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31732&stc=1&d=1243359718

Truly hideous, no?

(Click here to see a more professional rendering for comparison.)

ronin.png

Ronin

Background

Yamawaki Miyoko once was a hightly respected member of the Japanese Secret Service. Mijoko was responsible for the elimination of several spies who tried to steal secrets from Japan. However, all of her sucess proved to be her undoing. Miyoko was a serious believer in the safety and traditions of Japan, being from a long line of honorable samurai. It was her beliefs and background that brought her to the secret service.

In the end her downfall came through the acts of her new superior in the secret service. Her superior had no respect for Miyoko's skill or position as an agent for the secret service. To him, Miyoko was just a mere woman, not worthy of being a part of the secret service. Eventually Miyoko was forced to kill him for that insult, as tradition would've demanded. After killing her superior, Miyoko set about to commit suicide, agains as tradition would've demanded.

However, as she was about to plunge her sword into her body Octopus showed up and using his powers prevented Miyoko from taking her life. Needless to say, Miyoko didn't appriciate the interuption and a battle between her and Octopus ensued. All during the battle, Octopus kept talking and talking. Eventually he was able to convince Miyoko to stop fighting and instead join the Eight Headed Monster Gang.

Since then Miyoko has gone by the title of Ronin, an outcast samurai. As a member of the Eight HEaded Monster Gang, Miyoko often acts as the hand and ears of the Nomura Yakuza Clan.

"Though I am not worthy of fighting you, I will try my best."

Personality:

Miyoko has become extremely loyal to Octopus, almost treating him as if he were her new lord. There isn't anything that Miyoko wouldn't do for Octopus. This includes assassination. Also Miyoko feels compelled to avenge any insult to herself or Octopus, usually with her katana, as honor and tradition would dictate.

However, Miyoko feels that the killing of her former superior has in a way made her unworthy. As Miyoko thinks that she is an outcast not fit for civilized company. While not exactly a loner, Miyoko does keep herself apart from the other members of the Eight Headed Monster Gang.

Powers/Tactics

Miyoko is an excellent swordswoman. She has trained with her katan for years. Miyoko wields a katana with a blade that was designed to fit into a variety of sheathes to disguise itself; as a walking stick, umbrella, or even a flute. However, once Miyoko draws her katana it becomes obvious that it is a weapon. Miyoko also wears a specially designed suit of light weight body armor under clothes. This body armor was designed especially for her by the Technician.

Miyoko makes an extremly good spy. Her yearrs of training allow her to look like almost anyone else, as long as they're Asian. Miyoko can infiltrate the tightest security with some measure of skill. In a battle Miyoko prefers to fight one-on-one. Miyoko will go out of her way to make sure that Octopus is out of harms way before she lets loose. With her training, it's easy for Miyoko to man an escape unknown.

Appearance

Miyoko stands about 5'3" tall and weighs around 130 lbs. She normally keeps her hair short, but often wears wigs as disguises, and has almond eyes. Miyoko is a very attractive Japanese woman. She's a master of disguise, and uses this ability to keep her identity a secret. Miyoko has even been known to disguise herself as a man. She wields a unique katana that fits a number of different sheathes so as to diguise the weapons as well. Under her clothes, Miyoko wears a suit of light weight body armor for protection. Miyoko has a certain warriors bearing to her that can sometimes betray her. When not in her Ronin guise, Miyoko maintains the fiction that she's a traveling artist.

earthquake.png

Earthquake

Background

Earthquake, no one knows his real name, once was a professional wrestler in Japan. There is little htat is actually known about his past, and Earthquake doesn't talk about it. Earthquake was known, however, for ending a number of professional wrestlers careers. However, Earthquakes star fell when he was identified as a mutant. Earthquake was banned from competion for life. He ended his career by sending the wrestling promoter who banned him to the hospital with a broken skull. The police tried to arrest Earthquake, but he proved too powerful for them, and disapeared into the Toyko underworld.

To support himself, Earthquake joined a motorcycle gang, and quickly took over. The motorcycle gange made their living by extorting money from local merchants. However, because Earthquake was a mutant, his existance soon came to the attention of Octopus. Octopus offered Earthquake the chance to join the Eight Headed Monster Gang. Seeing that his life with the motorcycle gang was going nowhere Earthquake agreed. Earthquake revels in the destruction he causes. Now Earthquake gets to beat up on super-heroes instead of wimp professional wrestlers.

Quote:

"I feel an Earthquake coming on!"

Personality

Earthquake is a very violent person. He likes to brawl and bust people up. The only time Earthquake truly gets angry is if he were to actually be hurt in a fight. Earthquake believes that he's unbeatable when it comes to brawling and goes into any fight feeling that he can't lose. This has been his undoing at times. Also Earthquake has to be restrained by other members of the Eight Headed Monster Gang when Earthquake goes into one of his rages. Earthquake is also known for his mean streak.

Powers/Tactics

Earthquake is a mutant whose flesh is a lot denser than the average person. This added density gives Earthquake super-human strength and resistance to physical harm. His flesh is so dense that Earthquake can easily take a lethal blow and get right back up for some more. Earthquake can take a lot of punishment. His body will also heal itself over a short period of time. The density of Eaerthquake's flesh make it difficult for his foes to find a weakness in his defenses. Earthquake has learned how to jam his fingers into wall creating cracks, which allows him to climb walls with ease. Even though Earthquake is a rather heavy individual his training in professional wrestling makes him extremely agile. Earthquake is an expert at acrobatics and tumbling.

Earthquake is usually very direct in a fight. He's a trained brawler, who'll use every tacktic in the book to win. Usually Earthquake like to fight one-on-one if possible. Against fast or flying foes he'll puck up something large and throw it at them. He hates to leave any fight wen any of his foes are still standing. One of Earthquake's favorite moves is to grab his foes and crush them with a massive bear hug. If possible, Earthquake likes to also get his foe on the ground so that he can stomp them into paste. Earthquake is also a good actor and can fake being hurt to lure in a foe to be pounded into pulp.

Appearance

Earthquake is a large beefy individual. He stans 6'3" tall, but weighs close to two tons. Earthquake wearas a costume typical to a Japanes professional wrestler. It is mostly blue in color with white lines running all over it. His boot and gloves are white as well. Earthquake wears a wrestlers hood over his face, even though he doesn't maintain a secret identity. He has long black hair with he keeps in a topknot that come out of the back of his hood.

In honor of the upcoming Lucha Libre Hero book from Hero Games...

From Mexico City, Mexico

Weighing 245 pounds

The mysterious master of the lucha libre style...

The Obscure Odyssey

The magnificent masked master of mayhem

Desconocido.jpg

DESCONOCIDO

Please help to create the Palatine Guard

In a world full of superheroes and supervillains one of the most influential persons on this planet clearly needs a guard of paranormals. The Pope decided to recreate the Palatine Guard, this time consisting of superheroes. The only requirement was that they'd have to be Roman Catholic. The first one to join was Holy Hammer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine_Guard

Now my fellow HERO-and FdH-aficionados, please feel free to create more characters for the Pope's own team of superheroes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31734&stc=1&d=1243409929

In honor of the upcoming Lucha Libre Hero book from Hero Games...

From Mexico City, Mexico

Weighing 245 pounds

The mysterious master of the lucha libre style...

The Obscure Odyssey

The magnificent masked master of mayhem

Desconocido.jpg

DESCONOCIDO

ARRIBA can someone swing the reptonfa for me?

Father Xavier MaQue was captured in a Nigerian prison by a drug cartel and tortured for years. Preying for release, MaQue was instead approached by the Archangels Michael and Gabriel and given the opportunity to free himself. He agreed to be the human host of the essence of the two archangels and to carry on their fight to punish the sinners and corrupt of the world. The essence of the angels formed the costume around the priest and from that day forward, Xavier MaQue was the weapon of God. He was

Penance

Penance.jpg

Thank you Psybolt! His face mask is incredible.

Nathanael: is the Pope's advisor. He has never spoken a word in public. He only speaks to the Pope. Everybody else is beneath his status. Is he an angel? He doesn't tell. Nor does the holy father.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31736&stc=1&d=1243453838

Just to show what else can be done with this, I thought I'd show some costuming concept work for a potential production of Shakespeare's "The Tempest." The production concept, to be honest, is that everyone is dressed as a superhero.

First up, of course, is Prospero, to whom I wanted to give a sort of Dr. Strange kind of look, albeit one that's been living on a deserted island for several years:

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1292

His servant, Ariel, was originally written as male but in modern tradition is more often played by one or more females. Ariel is an air-spirit, but with many additional powers, most notably lightning (as demonstrated in Act I).

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1294

Prospero's daughter, Miranda, is a beautiful girl. I figured she should be physically strong, in order to match her new love, Ferdinand.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1293

Ferdinand should be a handsome youth, and strong enough to carry a log (which, in a superhero world, means a complete felled tree). For him, I figure a classic superhero outfit would work best.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1318

To be continued -- I'm going to spread this out over several posts.

Now on to the "comic relief" subplot.

Caliban is the deformed son of a witch and, by all reports, a demon.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1322

Trinculo is, traditionally, a jester in the court of Naples. He has several remarks about being Neopolitan, some of which imply a strong patriotism to Naples, so I decided to do something a little different.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1296

Stephano is a butler... and a lush. His costume is very butler-like, though of course to be a "super-butler" his jacket has pockets full of any small item his employer might require (corkscrew, penknife, note pad, deck of cards, what have you).

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1297

For Alonso, the King of Naples, I used the colors and patterns of the flag and seal of Naples.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1298

Sebastian, the King's brother, is a would-be usurper, making him a dark figure. The script has him with both a sword and a dagger, which wasn't that uncommon in Shakespeare's day but today bespeaks a weaponmaster.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1299

Antonio, brother to Prospero, has usurped the Dukedom. As with Alonso, I based the outfit on the flag of Milan. (At the end, when Prospero presents himself as "the Duke of Milan," he'd be wearing a similar costume.)

Gonzalo, an old advisor to the King, is described in one line as a "healer." This was probably originally intended as sarcastic, but I decided to run with it anyway; after all, any good superhero team needs a healer.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1301

And then there are two "Lords," Adrian and Francisco, who are loyal servants to the King. Since it's easier to get actresses than actors, I decided to transgender these two. They're minor but important parts.

Adriana surveys the island and finds the means for survival. Add to that the presence of super-archers as a superhero staple, and this is what I came up with.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1302

Francesca reports at least twice on visual observations, so I figured she'd have super-sight. With no other super-tech people around, I decided to go that direction with her. However, for some reason I associate the name "Francesca" with a really huge sword, so I gave her one.

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1303

In the original script, the ship that wrecks is led by a Master, with his commands administered by a Boatswain. Alan Durband's Modern English translation renders these as Captain and Bosun, both of which definitely have a more modern feel. The Captain needed a fuller name, so I call him Captain Aquarius, and the Bosun is his sidekick.

As above, I decided to make the Bosun female, though there's no real reason that the Captain couldn't be female instead (or even in addition).

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1304picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1305

There are, of course, sailors aboard the ship. Those playing these parts would have other parts in the play as well, but for Act I Scene 1 they'd be dressed like this:

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1306picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1307

In Act IV, Scene 1, the spirits of the island put on a special "masque" for Prospero, Ferdinand, and Miranda. The featured characters from Roman mythology are Ceres, goddess of agriculture; Iris, the messenger of the gods; and Juno, matron of the gods. For these I relied on traditional depictions of these three figures, with a certain comic-book-like flair:

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1308picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1323picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1310

These three characters are joined by a group of Nymphs, and a group of Reapers, who dance a "country dance."

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1311picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1312

Finally, as the "comedic trio" is given their comeuppance, Prospero and Ariel set several of the island's spirits after them, calling them by name:

Prospero: Hey, Mountain, hey!

Ariel: Silver! There it goes, Silver!

Prospero: Fury, Fury! There, Tyrant, there! Hark, hark!

And so here we are with Mountain, Silver, Fury, Tyrant, and Hark. There could be others, but these are the basics. (These would also be the individuals responsible for scene changes, and Hark would likely assist Ariel in various musical endeavors throughout the play.)

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1313picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1314

picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1315picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1316picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=1317