A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

Theron

Re: A DC Animated-style HeroMachine

A Challenge

On a previous page, I posted pictures and histories of two of my longest running characters, Jack Diamond and Magnetite. On that same page, I said that once I'd created a decent pic of my namesake, Pariah, I'd post him as well.

Well, that hasn't happened. The fact is that no matter what I do with Fábrica de Heróis, I can't get anything I like. So I'm asking for your help.

Below the attached Spoiler tag, you will a history and description of Pariah, along with a scan of a costume I made using the old-school character template, White-Out, a photocopier, and colored pencils. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Create a new look for my character Pariah.

If you'd like to try to stay close to the scanned pic, that's fine, but if anyone has ideas for a fresh, updated look, I'd be happy to see those, too. It's been about 10 years since I played him, so some things would undoubtedly have changed in 'screen time'. Either way, I'd love to see what you folks can come up with.

Any takers?

BACKGROUND: Misfit.

Azariah had always been something of a maverick in the Society. He understood the need for secrecy. Had the rest of the world known of the Society's existence during the Dark Ages, the superstitious masses would have destroyed it in its infancy. Had the Society's magic been public knowledge, it would never have survived the Inquisition or the Enlightenment. The world wasn't ready to acknowledge such power. The world just wouldn't--couldn't--understand.

But all of that was in the past, or so it seemed to Azariah. With the advent of the age of superheroes, the world had learned to accept powers and concepts their fathers and grandfathers would have tried to destroy. And there was so much good that the Society could do for the world. Azariah began advocating openness with the world. He thought he could get others to see things his way, to realize the opportunity that lay before them.

He was wrong. He was given one chance to stop spreading his divisive opinions. When he continued, he was brought before the rulers of the Society and judged. It was decided that if Azariah wished for interaction with the 'normal' world, he would live as a part of it.

The Banishment Ritual was performed for the first time in memory. Azariah was stripped of most of his magical powers. His memory of Society strongholds and rituals was removed. He was exiled to a remote part of the world to live as a solitary farmer. And he was given a warning: if he used his magic publicly or revealed the existence of the Society, they would kill him.

Outcast.

Azariah Sheppard became a farmer in a remote valley in the mountains of northwestern Wyoming. He would never have made it were it not for his ability to create rain for his thirsty crops. He lived for a few years as a hermit, fearful of contact with the rest of humanity and of the reprisal that would come from the Society if any learned of his secret abilities.

But neither his remote location nor his remaining magical abilities were proof against human contact. He was forced to use his abilities to rescue a group of hikers that had become lost and wandered into his valley during a blizzard. The media searched for this mysterious Samaritan and found his home, but was never able to find him. The excitement died down after a few weeks, but Azariah was convinced that that little exposure would be more than enough to get the Society's attention and arouse their wrath.

He decided that his only course of action was to find a new location and hope that the Society would at least be delayed in their retribution. As he wandered the mountain wastes, he fell through a hidden crack in the snow and found himself atop a pile of hazardous waste. Curiosity got the best of him, and he followed the tunnel that led from the dumping ground. He soon found himself in a top secret Genocide base.

The Genocide troops captured him in quick fashion and placed him in a holding cell. Despite his magical abilities, he might have stayed there to rot had it not been for the timely attack on the complex by Watchtower, a prominent superhero group. He managed to escape in the confusion.

Over the next several weeks, Azariah discovered that his exposure to the hazardous waste had changed him. He was now a mountain of a man, nearly six and a half feet tall and at least three hundred pounds. Furthermore, he had vast strength and resistance to injury. With these new powers added to his own magical abilities, he now had the power to defend himself and others.

Let the Society bring their reprisals now. Azariah had nothing to fear from them, no reason to conceal his abilities or his story. There was too much that was evil in the world, too many that used power to prey on the weak. The Society might be able to ignore that, but he couldn't. He would use his abilities--all of them--to protect those who were unable to protect themselves. He would be more than an exile. He would be a hero.

Pariah.

QUOTE: "We will do this because it is the right thing to do. We need no other reason."

PERSONALITY: Azariah Sheppard is very much a product of his environment(s). The Society was closed, conservative, and stifling, almost paranoid. He learned morality in absolutes; good and evil were clearly drawn in black and white. He still has very definite opinions about right and wrong, but they're a little different than they once were.

Azariah is generally calm, self-assured, and reasonable. If there's anything that makes him upset, it's prejudice and persecution. He fights for equality and harmony between peoples, ideas that got him kicked out of the Society. He hates bullies and will try to thwart them at any opportunity. He is a staunch supporter of personal freedom and individual responsibility.

Azariah is an intelligent and soft spoken man. He's a doer, not a talker--he prefers to let his actions speak for him. He has a long memory for the deeds of friends...and enemies. If he has any personality failing, it's that he tends to carry a grudge. He also tends to be overconfident in battle, due to the varied nature of his abilities.

POWERS / TACTICS: Pariah is a brick with a twist. Like most bricks he has great strength and is very hard to hurt. But he also has magical powers that can give him a lot of tactical options in a fight. He likes to start a fight with Air magic because of the versatile things he can do with it (teleportation, invisibility, telekinesis, etc.). Against truly powerful opponents he will use the most powerful of his magics, Earth magic (growth, density increase, extra strength, etc.). He also has useful spells in Fire and Water that he'll use as specific circumstances require.

APPEARANCE: Azariah Sheppard is a big man: 6 foot 5, 300+ pounds. He has dark brown (almost black) eyes and darker than normal skin. His black hair is worn short in a very conservative cut.

Due to his magical abilities, Pariah's costume can vary from fight to fight. His typical costume is a sleeveless black bodysuit with a half-face coverage mask. Over the bodysuit he wears a white tabard with green trim and fastened with a white belt. The emblem on his tabard shows representations of earth, air, fire, and water, showing the elements from which he draws his magic.

pariah-1.jpg

A Challenge

On a previous page, I posted pictures and histories of two of my longest running characters, Jack Diamond and Magnetite. On that same page, I said that once I'd created a decent pic of my namesake, Pariah, I'd post him as well.

Well, that hasn't happened. The fact is that no matter what I do with Fábrica de Heróis, I can't get anything I like. So I'm asking for your help.

Below the attached Spoiler tag, you will a history and description of Pariah, along with a scan of a costume I made using the old-school character template, White-Out, a photocopier, and colored pencils. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Create a new look for my character Pariah.

If you'd like to try to stay close to the scanned pic, that's fine, but if anyone has ideas for a fresh, updated look, I'd be happy to see those, too. It's been about 10 years since I played him, so some things would undoubtedly have changed in 'screen time'. Either way, I'd love to see what you folks can come up with.

Any takers?

BACKGROUND: Misfit.

Azariah had always been something of a maverick in the Society. He understood the need for secrecy. Had the rest of the world known of the Society's existence during the Dark Ages, the superstitious masses would have destroyed it in its infancy. Had the Society's magic been public knowledge, it would never have survived the Inquisition or the Enlightenment. The world wasn't ready to acknowledge such power. The world just wouldn't--couldn't--understand.

But all of that was in the past, or so it seemed to Azariah. With the advent of the age of superheroes, the world had learned to accept powers and concepts their fathers and grandfathers would have tried to destroy. And there was so much good that the Society could do for the world. Azariah began advocating openness with the world. He thought he could get others to see things his way, to realize the opportunity that lay before them.

He was wrong. He was given one chance to stop spreading his divisive opinions. When he continued, he was brought before the rulers of the Society and judged. It was decided that if Azariah wished for interaction with the 'normal' world, he would live as a part of it.

The Banishment Ritual was performed for the first time in memory. Azariah was stripped of most of his magical powers. His memory of Society strongholds and rituals was removed. He was exiled to a remote part of the world to live as a solitary farmer. And he was given a warning: if he used his magic publicly or revealed the existence of the Society, they would kill him.

Outcast.

Azariah Sheppard became a farmer in a remote valley in the mountains of northwestern Wyoming. He would never have made it were it not for his ability to create rain for his thirsty crops. He lived for a few years as a hermit, fearful of contact with the rest of humanity and of the reprisal that would come from the Society if any learned of his secret abilities.

But neither his remote location nor his remaining magical abilities were proof against human contact. He was forced to use his abilities to rescue a group of hikers that had become lost and wandered into his valley during a blizzard. The media searched for this mysterious Samaritan and found his home, but was never able to find him. The excitement died down after a few weeks, but Azariah was convinced that that little exposure would be more than enough to get the Society's attention and arouse their wrath.

He decided that his only course of action was to find a new location and hope that the Society would at least be delayed in their retribution. As he wandered the mountain wastes, he fell through a hidden crack in the snow and found himself atop a pile of hazardous waste. Curiosity got the best of him, and he followed the tunnel that led from the dumping ground. He soon found himself in a top secret Genocide base.

The Genocide troops captured him in quick fashion and placed him in a holding cell. Despite his magical abilities, he might have stayed there to rot had it not been for the timely attack on the complex by Watchtower, a prominent superhero group. He managed to escape in the confusion.

Over the next several weeks, Azariah discovered that his exposure to the hazardous waste had changed him. He was now a mountain of a man, nearly six and a half feet tall and at least three hundred pounds. Furthermore, he had vast strength and resistance to injury. With these new powers added to his own magical abilities, he now had the power to defend himself and others.

Let the Society bring their reprisals now. Azariah had nothing to fear from them, no reason to conceal his abilities or his story. There was too much that was evil in the world, too many that used power to prey on the weak. The Society might be able to ignore that, but he couldn't. He would use his abilities--all of them--to protect those who were unable to protect themselves. He would be more than an exile. He would be a hero.

Pariah.

QUOTE: "We will do this because it is the right thing to do. We need no other reason."

PERSONALITY: Azariah Sheppard is very much a product of his environment(s). The Society was closed, conservative, and stifling, almost paranoid. He learned morality in absolutes; good and evil were clearly drawn in black and white. He still has very definite opinions about right and wrong, but they're a little different than they once were.

Azariah is generally calm, self-assured, and reasonable. If there's anything that makes him upset, it's prejudice and persecution. He fights for equality and harmony between peoples, ideas that got him kicked out of the Society. He hates bullies and will try to thwart them at any opportunity. He is a staunch supporter of personal freedom and individual responsibility.

Azariah is an intelligent and soft spoken man. He's a doer, not a talker--he prefers to let his actions speak for him. He has a long memory for the deeds of friends...and enemies. If he has any personality failing, it's that he tends to carry a grudge. He also tends to be overconfident in battle, due to the varied nature of his abilities.

POWERS / TACTICS: Pariah is a brick with a twist. Like most bricks he has great strength and is very hard to hurt. But he also has magical powers that can give him a lot of tactical options in a fight. He likes to start a fight with Air magic because of the versatile things he can do with it (teleportation, invisibility, telekinesis, etc.). Against truly powerful opponents he will use the most powerful of his magics, Earth magic (growth, density increase, extra strength, etc.). He also has useful spells in Fire and Water that he'll use as specific circumstances require.

APPEARANCE: Azariah Sheppard is a big man: 6 foot 5, 300+ pounds. He has dark brown (almost black) eyes and darker than normal skin. His black hair is worn short in a very conservative cut.

Due to his magical abilities, Pariah's costume can vary from fight to fight. His typical costume is a sleeveless black bodysuit with a half-face coverage mask. Over the bodysuit he wears a white tabard with green trim and fastened with a white belt. The emblem on his tabard shows representations of earth, air, fire, and water, showing the elements from which he draws his magic.

pariah-1.jpg

pariah is a well done hero AS IS like they say if it ant broke don't fix it

I decided that Pariah might get tired of snagging his tabard on stuff, so he might change his look to something more streamlined.

Pariah.png

In This Other Thread (Specific Post) someone mentioned Joe Magnarac, a folk-hero for steelworkers. I did two versions. The first is his "Just a guy with a body of steel" look. When he gets powered up by energy attacks (or jumping into a crucible of molten steel) he starts to glow with inner heat. You could use him as a space heater!

JoeMagarac.pngJoeMagaracII.png

I decided that Pariah might get tired of snagging his tabard on stuff, so he might change his look to something more streamlined.

Pariah.png

That's a great look, SSgt. The 'glow' on the four elements centerpiece is a nice touch. Repped, naturally.

Anyone else care to take a shot? I'd love to see what everyone can come up with!

In This Other Thread (Specific Post) someone mentioned Joe Magnarac, a folk-hero for steelworkers. I did two versions. The first is his "Just a guy with a body of steel" look. When he gets powered up by energy attacks (or jumping into a crucible of molten steel) he starts to glow with inner heat. You could use him as a space heater!

JoeMagaracII.png

Holy blackbody radiation, Batman! :D

JoeMagarac.pngJoeMagaracII.png

Yes! Woo-Hoo!

Rep for you, sir.

Nice work! That's for all of you. I just came back from two long weeks of absence from the HERO boards and I am quite impressed with all the good characters posted here.

@ tkdguy: any more DB characters? please!

This is Himalaya!

His parents were British ambassadors in India, though his father was an Eternal in disguise. Himalaya is tall and superstrong, wise and humble.

One of the super-good guys of our campaign!

Nice work! That's for all of you. I just came back from two long weeks of absence from the HERO boards and I am quite impressed with all the good characters posted here.

@ tkdguy: any more DB characters? please!

Okay. Here's Krillin again, this time in Saiyan armor, and Vegeta. I know his hair is a bit short, but that's all the program offers.