Looking for a good name

Enforcer84

So, I've got an adventuring scientist that I want to give a nice name to.

He's more the Doc Savage, Tom Strong style than say Mr Fantastic or Hank Pym.

Ive considered giving him a decent last name and using "Doc" but that's pretty cliched. He's a superhero, not a pulp hero.

names I've floated

Endeavor

Innovator

Constructor

his origin is still sketchy, son of heroes from the 70's & 80's, a Gadgeteer and a genetically enhanced supersoldier. William combines their abilities, the enhancements from his father amplified the natural genius he got from his mother.

At this point in his career (basically the beginning) he's in his late teens, has a basic martial arts package, and some sciences and a Multipower of gadgets not unlike a Utility Belt. He's got some talents to amplify his superhuman intelligence.

any ideas?

I'm also hoping to use the discussion to flesh out his background :)

Re: Looking for a good name

First thing that comes to mind is to use the character's real name based on the Doc Savage thing, give him a "cool" last name and run with it.

Others from the same line of thought:

Renaissance Man (Title given, not chosen, based on his background)

Rembrandt (Same as above)

The Contemplative

Penny Dreadful (If he becomes a she, a play on pulp comics.)

First thing that comes to mind is to use the character's real name based on the Doc Savage thing, give him a "cool" last name and run with it.

Others from the same line of thought:

Renaissance Man (Title given, not chosen, based on his background)

Rembrandt (Same as above)

The Contemplative

Penny Dreadful (If he becomes a she, a play on pulp comics.)

Penny Dreadful, she is written up as a villain in DC:TAS. I adjusted her and she is one of my more dangerous Champions villains now.

I like Penny :D

Penny Dreadful was a term applied to nineteenth century British fictionstory papers and booklet “libraries.” The Penny Dreadfuls were printed on cheap pulp paper and were aimed primarily at working class publications, usually lurid serial stories appearing in parts over a number of weeks, each part costing a penny. The term, however, soon came to encompass a variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as adolescents.

- - -

Ohh... Penny Savage

Yep, I believe that is where they drew the inspiration from too. Their original write up was at 267pts and aimed at a more DC power level game. I am just too big a Pulp fan to let her slide so I rebuilt her for a standard supers game with some additional powers and hencemen that stay in the same general theme.

Rusty Venture? :D

Basil Expedition? :D

I was going to suggest Challenger also. But someone else did, so now I hate it.

Maybe something along the lines of "We named the dog Indiana" so we could have something like Doctor Philip "Philosopher" Stone.

Doctor Tom Morrow?

Doctor Warren Darwin, for maximum alliteration?

He's going to be an example of Clarke's Law (I believe it's Clarke's) that sufficiently high technology appears magic.

He's a little green at this point so It's not that yet. He has inherited his parents idealism and curiosity, and is entering the hero game. He attended the Promethean Academy, a "School for Supers" they don't have to have powers, they have to be the children of heroes (and occasionally villains). His parents are still active but across the world it seems, he's just starting out. He's heroic with a sense of adventure; likes to discover new things.

Right now his powerset is an armored costume, force field belt, gadget MP and gun with variable (SFX) settings. He has generic martial arts and is quite physical for an eighteen year old.

Will Phoenix

Something like that.

I am thinking that (even without any sort of angsty sub-plots) he might want to "make it on his own" and not draw on his parents' legacy.

So, he should choose a name that indicates a new beginning or a fresh start.

Just some random thoughts,

KA.

He's going to be an example of Clarke's Law (I believe it's Clarke's) that sufficiently high technology appears magic.

Yep...that's a "Clarke-ism".

He's a little green at this point so It's not that yet. He has inherited his parents idealism and curiosity, and is entering the hero game. He attended the Promethean Academy, a "School for Supers" they don't have to have powers, they have to be the children of heroes (and occasionally villains). His parents are still active but across the world it seems, he's just starting out. He's heroic with a sense of adventure; likes to discover new things.

Right now his powerset is an armored costume, force field belt, gadget MP and gun with variable (SFX) settings. He has generic martial arts and is quite physical for an eighteen year old.

All I come up with is the somewhat overly alliterative:

Dr David DaVinci

And yes, I admit to being a little bit influenced by a line from the recent

IronMan movie (if you have seen the trailer/advertisements you probably

know the line I mean...). :D

-Carl-

So, I've got an adventuring scientist that I want to give a nice name to.

He's more the Doc Savage, Tom Strong style than say Mr Fantastic or Hank Pym.

Ive considered giving him a decent last name and using "Doc" but that's pretty cliched. He's a superhero, not a pulp hero.

names I've floated

Endeavor

Innovator

Constructor

his origin is still sketchy, son of heroes from the 70's & 80's, a Gadgeteer and a genetically enhanced supersoldier. William combines their abilities, the enhancements from his father amplified the natural genius he got from his mother.

At this point in his career (basically the beginning) he's in his late teens, has a basic martial arts package, and some sciences and a Multipower of gadgets not unlike a Utility Belt. He's got some talents to amplify his superhuman intelligence.

any ideas?

I'm also hoping to use the discussion to flesh out his background :)

Constructor is a bit bland. Endeavor's not bad. Innovator I'm kind of on the fense, Not bad, but doesn't really grab me either.

What about something more scientific sounding?

Thinking out loud here, no guarantee that any of these are good(in fact, most of them probably won't be. When I name stuff, I tend to list a lot of names, weed out the awful ones and then see if anything is left.):

Combinant, Chemistro, Physic, Imagineer, Imaginaut, Cosmo, Tehcnologist, Maven, Boffin(an obscure synonym for scientist) The Architect,