Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

Working on a part of a fantasy campaign, with the blessing of the GM. I needed some visuals to help jumpstart my brain some more.

Part of the game is based around the idea of Bloodlines holding various powers and abilities after ancient pacts with otherworldly entities (Gods I think is the wrong term). Dumitrescu Bloodline has the power of Second Sight.

Character Concept Art:

dumitrescu_concept.jpg

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, hope y'all get a kick.

WhiteDoe72.jpg

I know I'm late posting on this, but this one really sticks out for me. All of your pieces are well done in a workmanlike fashion, but this one seems more alive to me for some reason. It might be the presence of clothing. You can only do so much with spandex. The pose also has proportion and energy, and the coloring is subtle without being dull. Bravo.

I got permission to post these sketches, as they were part of the Houses of the Blooded playtest. The new game from designer John Wick (L5R, 7th Sea among others).

Even though we've been playing for a good 4 or 5 months, I didn't feel free to post artwork of an upcoming game, even though this is not pro- work, this is just scribbles at the table. If you are interested in checking out HotB, there is a free preview PDF here:

http://housesoftheblooded.com/

My assumptions: The Ven live in a fairly warm climate. Clothes are a bit skimpier than renaissance europe...but I keep slipping into a 3 musketeer mode. Remember: this type of outfits are a bit out of my acumen...I would need reference to pull what I have off in my head... and I'm at the gaming table. No time to look up reference.

Architecture in my mind is like the fantastical arabic musings of Hal Foster. Lots of butresses, scale is big.

Clothing, I go to India crossed with byzantine.

Faces: I range from oriental, to russian to indian again. And my typical white guy face does sneak in there. This is where color can really make a difference. Trying to show my own PC, Kolis, as being swarthy, yet elegant of feature, in JUST pencil, well, its a pain in the ass...

Swords: Elegant, slightly curved, good for the stab or the slash... I did many of them with no hilt. Because they are that DAMN good swordsfolk. Hilt is seen as a crutch, and a true artist with a sword doesn't need one.

First up, our quickie map of Shanri (and yes, I mispelled the damn thing on the map itself).

ShanriProvmap72.jpg

Next, was the cover if I was to do it. This pose proved to be very difficult and I would need a model to ge ge the weight of the figure and the odd angle to the hand brushing the hair back. But there is stuff in this that I really, really like. The height of the buildings for one.

Coverprop72.jpg

Jorha here had the aspect: "Perfect Ass" right on his character sheet. And the player MEANT the phsyical attribute, not 'tude. I HAD to draw that!!!

Jorja72.jpg

This is my newest PC, Kolis, son of Tyrian. Tyrian died vs. Ork, fighting to save his betrothed. Kolis was well positioned as the young guy, to take over the Count-ship from the evil Count Szas, with backing from all the other barons.

Kolis72.jpg

Tavish was originally Jorha's spymaster. But the player retired Jorha and picked up Tavish. Tavish is betrothed to Meza.

Tavish72.jpg

My beloved Tyrian, now deceased.

Tyr72.jpg

The Twins, Lonor and Sagay, also dead.

Twins72.jpg

The PC Sarac, who was a bad fit, evil, manipulative to the bone. He was killed by Bayool, his own son, who is now the player's PC.

Sarac72.jpg

And here is the prelim relationship map with a couple of more NPCs on it.

cast100.jpg

And a very quick sketch of Meza, once an NPC wife of Sagay, but now the Player of Sagay's PC after Sagay's operatic death. Meza, here, was leading forces against the evil Count Szaz's Ork allies on behalf of the young Count, Kollis.

Meza.jpg

Okay, first up, a private commission for a Forgotten Realms character.

Aerthen72.jpg

Next, it is Ten Ton Studio Contest Time. I did win last week, so I decided to nominate this week's challenge as one of my personal fav artists: Mark Schultz and his Cadillac and Dinosaurs for the subject matter.

Here is the link to thread to check out the other artist's versions...

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5452.0

CadsDinos85.jpg

CadsDinos85.jpg

Absolutely Awesome! I love it. I'm only sort of familiar with the source material, but your pencilling skills have really improved over the years I've been on the boards. They were good before, but you've really reached a professional level. Do you still charge the same for color as you do for pencils? I understand the reasoning for that and it wouldn't stop me from getting a commission done. Just curious.

Steam, Savants and the Kandris Seal Update

Savants, Steam and the Kandris Seal has now entered the final stages of layout, and artwork is coming in. We managed to get the services of Storm Kerr for this project, and here's an example of his work.

We don’t have a firm date for the release of the d20 (3.5 e) version of the book, but it should be out by Gen Con in both pdf and hopefully print format.

Stay tuned for further developments.

lefty1-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is an un-typical fantasy duo. The patron had really neat visual ideas, even down to the poses. It is the first time she has commissioned anything from me... but I was impressed by these two's descriptions.

StjYa72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

I am in the process of working on interiors for John Wick's (7th Sea, Legend of the 5 Rings game designer) House of the Blooded. Which I also had the opportunity to be part of the playtest of the rules and setting. It is a great game.

Playing a game you are to illustrate, makes it a ton of fun. Working with someone like John, is even more fun on top of it. I'm to do 13 illustrations for each of the 13 chapters. Because we did NOT want to show DIRECTLY what the ven look like (the culture that HotB is about), we are doing it as a series of archaeologist sketches and notes. Show indirectly through a cameo and a wall painting, what the ven are... and hopefully, leaving a lot to the imagination of each table that plays the game.

Coming up with the notes is a hoot. Because we can be so academic... and because we are purposively jumping to wrong conclusions.. which you can discover when you play the game.

John has given me permission to post some of my art as I go along on this assignment. So I'm sharing a bit of current passion. I hope it intrigues... and oh yeah, one more note... the runes are an alphabet I made up. The key will be in the book.

Here is John's blog on his game, check it out, its fun and informative:

http://wickedthought.livejournal.com/tag/houses+of+the+blooded

The Character Section:

Char72.jpg

The Player Section:

cameoFIII.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on with some more art from John Wick's upcoming Houses of the Blooded, here are two more pics.

The first one is for the chapter on Risk:

Risk72.jpg

The second one is the chapter on revenge:

Rev100.jpg

And if you are interested in some of John's thoughts on this very cool game, here is the link to his design blog:

http://wickedthought.livejournal.com...of+the+blooded

I got a chance to work on Mutants and Masterminds supplement, Books of Magic, which was a ton of fun for me, as I'm a big Doc Strange fan. Got to work on my inner Ditko!

I always forget to post my published work, because it takes months for the work to come free of NDAs. By the time it happens, I've moved onto other things. But I got a nice email from someone who had bought the book and liked my work in it.

So here is a sampling of what I did for Books of Magic. Just to plug one of fav clients....Here is a link to the actual product over at Green Ronin:

http://greenronin.com/store/grr2518/

Ways72.jpg

Shambala72.jpg

LemuriaFall72.jpg

EldrichRise72.jpg

Dream72.jpg

Green Ronin owns these images.... nuff said.

First up, let me lay another Ten Ton Studio weekly challenge on y'all. The challenge is "What Would Hellboy Do on Summer Vacation?". Here is my answer... or rather, this is what I do in the summer a lot and I have even been teaching a wee bit.

Here is the link to Ten Ton, so y'all can see what my fellow wacky artists have come up with...

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5691.0

Voting starts tomorrow. gotta join the forum to vote.

Htennis72.jpg

Next, last night I got the chance to get in on a 4th ed D&D game. Or the prelim discussion, as the books have been ordered by several of us. Hopefully, we can start next week.

My character is going to be from a kinda gypsy faction of the Eladrin, but the GM, B., wanted to kick it up to 11 on the weird, fantastic, mystical scale. So instead of wagons and ponies, after a bit of discussion, my "tribe's caravans" actually teleport around, courtesy of the Master or Mistress of Tents. A powerful otherworldly fey entity that supports 6 or 7 of these caravans.

Unfortunately, my PC's call to action is the utter wiping out of his family, caravan and Master of Tents. But while we were b.s.ing our way through this all, I quickly sketched the Master of Tents.

MofTents72.jpg