Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

eek' date=' he's using the stone hand ... hope the court is a good 1/4 mile long![/quote']

One tennis teaching pro who I used to hit with (a lot), said "with good technique, it doesn't matter how hard you hit it... it will go in". Man, the topspin from Hellboy, IF he has good technique... .sheesh.

heh.

anyway. more art.

More art from our Tues (or Weds) 4th ed D&D game.

First up is Judd's PC, Elias Corvus... a Paladin of the RavenQueen. Judd was pretty evocative with his description. I had a pretty good sense of where to go with his pic.

Corvussk72.jpg

Next is A.'s PC, Exile. A once masked, mute tribal warrior (but is actually a rogue), he has found language and struck out into the wide, dangerous world. He is ritually scarred. The climate we are in, is near Exile's jungle... so I supposed a serengeti, african analog, as we are outside of the jungle, in rolling hills, grasslands etc. This climate influenced both Exile and my PC's pics... with Corvus sweating in all that heavy, black plate.

Exilesk72.jpg

Last one is my PC... Methamere Dray. I wanted him to influenced by the climate, hence the bare legs... He looks like a rogue, but he is really a wizard. Being an Eladrin, longsword is a proficiency weapon. Doesn't look much like a mage and I'm cool with that. Originally, last night, I drew him with long black hair... but I decided this morning to erase that and show him with shorn, short black hair. I think this is a sign of morning amond the Eladrin, after all, his entire family and the extended caravan that Meth grew up with has been wiped out. I like the short hair.

I dunno why, but the face and Dray's calves look a bit like John Byrne's work. Just one of those odd influences that can sneak into one's work, especially when doodling away.

Draysk72.jpg

If you are interested in the campaign at all, check out this thread on En World.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=229295

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

And I got into ANOTHER 4th ed D&D game. This time, smaller group, again with Judd. These characters really came together in a cool way during character creation. Judd and I were coming into an existing game, so we decided to tie our PCs together in the backstory.

And then I was simply "on" while doodling that night at the table. Might have something to do with the cardstock that I had JUST bought that day from OfficeMax...that I prefer drawing on. The way the pencil makes its marks and the ease of the stroke.... I just really like that surface to do pencil on.

So without too much more blah-de-blah blah... here are the pics.

First up, Bok, an Eladrin mage, who is awfully "bishi" and gets rather upset when we call him, her. Which has happened several times. When I heard the concept, I was mentally..."wow, that is going to be tough to pull off....that adrogyny."... but I think I nailed it.

Boksk72.jpg

Then, we are going alphabetical, is my PC, Kendrick Dell. His 4 brothers are cops (city watchmen/guard), his father and uncle are cops. His 3 sisters married cops... and Kendrick WAS a cop. He loved being a cop. But, a stoopid noble got all drunk and pissy and came at Kendrick with a sword... even drunk, the damn noble was good, and Kendrick was forced to kill him in self defense. Problem. Noble family not happy. Kendrick is on the run, an outlaw and a criminal. Kendric is a fighter class.

Kendricsk72.jpg

Melech the Red's family also has a long tradtion.... of being assassins. Once for the Duke. Now, the family has fallen on hard times, and are knives for hire in "the City". Melech decided that his family was too far gone and made a run for it. Running into Kendric (they knew of each other prior) on the run from the law, the two teamed up to get outta Dodge and into a life of adventure.

Melechsk72.jpg

Petal is a cleric of Bahamut, like her mother. C., the player, told me that she likes to pick flowers and bonk evil on the head. Petal is pretty damn cool. She weaves flowers for each good deed that she does, hopefully looking to weave each Point of Light into a flexible fabric of Light. Making something lizard-y look feminine...not easy, but I think this came off well.

Petalsk72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

My character is going to be from a kinda gypsy faction of the Eladrin, but the GM, B., wanted to kick it up to 11 on the weird, fantastic, mystical scale. So instead of wagons and ponies, after a bit of discussion, my "tribe's caravans" actually teleport around, courtesy of the Master or Mistress of Tents. A powerful otherworldly fey entity that supports 6 or 7 of these caravans.

What a great concept! :thumbup:

the sketches are awesome, keep rockin' it, man!

This is a painting of a character i made in Kamarathin. I'm pretty green to this type of RP game, so his story is pretty ridiculous. He's a Tutis (elf) that took a 500 year nap under a cursed tree.

ezumbilasslumber-2.jpg

With 4th ed D&D coming out, it seems like lots of folks want commissions along those lines. Here is something a bit different, a prop. A mystical sword that has been shattered into 5 parts and must be reforged as part of one group's quest.

DragonBlade72.jpg

And this LOOKS like a fantasy character, but is actually a trans-dimensional superhero character. I think it could work for a fantasy game too. Does 4th ed have rules to do other races besides its core? Cat people just seem to go with fantasy.

Pax72.jpg

Nah. Old-school Tieflings could have varying appearances, depending on their infernal bloodline. The new ones are a race unto themselves, and they all have a particular look:

Tieflings’ appearance testifies to their infernal bloodline.

They have large horns; thick, nonprehensile tails

that range in length from 4 to 5 feet; sharply pointed

teeth; and eyes that are solid orbs of black, red, white,

silver, or gold. Their skin color covers the whole

human range and also extends to reds, from a ruddy

tan to a brick red. Their hair, cascading down from

behind their horns, is as likely to be dark blue, red, or

purple as more common human colors.

No cat-people in 4th edition, but I'd be shocked if we don't see one show up in a supplement in the next year. :)

And this sketch was done last night while playing 4th ed... the Beetle Matrons are tough, undead squad leaders we've fought a few times over the last few sessions. My GM, B., made these guys up as a test of how quickly a monster could be made on the fly during a session. Pretty fast, it turns out, and very, very cool mechanically to fight.

BeetleMatron72.jpg

And this sketch was done last night while playing 4th ed... the Beetle Matrons are tough' date=' undead squad leaders we've fought a few times over the last few sessions. My GM, B., made these guys up as a test of how quickly a monster could be made on the fly during a session. Pretty fast, it turns out, and very, very cool mechanically to fight.[/quote']

Great sketch Storn, and a great visual. Beetle Matrons look creepy.

• 2 weeks later...

MisterAdam, I really like your portraits... they have a solidity to them and a playfulness with the "paint" that is a lot of fun... yet they have very distinct character. Cool stuff.

On my end:

A 4th ed dwarf for a long time client. Kinda neat that he is a wizard instead of the usual dour fighter type.

Flmbeard72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a winged dude with a bow for a supers game.

PFalcon72.jpg

And this one has a bit of a story behind it.

I met Millie 23 years ago. She became my wife after 4 years of living together. We broke up a year later. But parted on very good terms. I always thought the world of her, but we simply where too young, too different (she is Puerto Rican, I'm a white guy without an ounce of religious upbringing, she comes from a huge family and is a twin, I come from a tiny family. I was a raving geek, she was not etc. etc.)

18 years pass and we meet again and rekindle our romance this last xmas. She is now moving to my home town and I'm very happy to have this 2nd chance.

One of our causes of friction was she thought role playing was "stupid". Now, many years later, and because she is a nurse instructor, she uses roleplaying as case study-teaching aides every semester. When we rekindled, she expressed large interest in trying out this odd hobby of mine (ours).

This picture is her first character, done during play. She played 4th ed D&D this last Saturday and had a great time, wants to do it again. She was very nervous, but my fellow gamers did a wonderful job of embracing her and her character. I had a great time. So... there's the story behind "Midnight aka Serielle, Paladin of Avandra".. Millie's first character.

Midnight72.jpg

storn- that's pretty awesome, hope it works out for you two! sketches as always are animated and even cooler with the background story.

this is just a cliche fantasy sketch because i have no imagination

fantasyclich.jpg

Great tone - I like it a lot. :thumbup:

storn- that's pretty awesome, hope it works out for you two! sketches as always are animated and even cooler with the background story.

this is just a cliche fantasy sketch because i have no imagination

fantasyclich.jpg

I really like it. It has got great mood. My only beef is that the hand on the staff seems like it is a *bit* far away from the body and it is pretty large. But this is just a sketch and I love the rest of it. I'm just a perfectionist.

storn- thanks for the crit, i really need to be more of a perfectionist if i want to succeed with this art thing. i have a serious problem of not being able to finish something. even with sketches, i get too complacent.

manic- yeah, let's go with that.

egyptiod- thats pretty hilarious. at first i thought it was male because of the crotch bulge, but then i saw the breasts and it became even funnier.

here's a few sketches the 2nd one i might finish. same theme as the colored illustration i did above. it's the narration of my characters background story which is the equivalent of an elementary school attempt.

awakening1.jpg

collapse.jpg