WWYCD: Magic Fishnets?

Hermit

The idea just popped into my head as an interesting IIF sort of thing as I was considering a Black Canary type character

Your character stumbles upon a group of DEMON brothers raiding a ware house, a rather mundane job for a magic group, and these are obviously low level flunkies at best. It doesn't seem to sinister. In a panic, one of the agents flings an old wooden box at you (possibly yelling 'bomb' as a bluff) and runs. Whether you capture them all, or not, you end up with the box... or its contents at least.

A set of indestructible, or so it seems, fishnets, one size fits all.

Should they ever be tried on, the following discovery will be made (and termed in game mechanics, though obviously your character would have a more in setting description )

Donning the fishnets provides:

20 points of martial art maneuvers

10 points of Damage Classes with said manuevers

10 points of CSLs

9 points Combat Luck

and a 10d6 Energy Blast (FX may vary depending on person)

But ONLY if the fishnets are on display, ie you must show off the majority of your legs.

And yes, all the above adds to your already existing powers/abilities while you wear them.

Attempting to find out where they came from leads to

KS: Golden Age Superheroes or the like might bring up info on a masked adventurer named "Nightingale". She had a ' Power Song' and was deadly in hand to hand, so fits the profile. Little to no detail on her secret ID is known, though she did show some investigative skills which might give a clue to her career. She is presumed dead by now.

KS: Occult would simply confirm that magical fishnets are...well, unusual.

Detecting Magic or the like would confirm they are magical, and fortunately free of the taint of the infernal. However, it might also be noted that there is a touch of spirit magic.

For those with odd skills related to clothing and history, it would appear to have its origins in Binghamton New York, 1940 and was likely constructed then.

So WWYCD and what would your character DO with the darn things?

If anything

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWYCD: Magic Fishnets?

Uncle Slam would track down the owners of the warehouse to find out why they would have such a thing.

Anthem is a martial artist, is indestructible (nearly), and wears shorts--so most of her legs are showing. Suddenly having vastly more martial arts manuevers would be surprising and useful, as would the rest, but she'd have to find out where they came from; She'd have moral issues with using something like this that may belong to some other hero.

Uncle Slam would track down the owners of the warehouse to find out why they would have such a thing.

If asked, the owners would look perplexed, check their files and...

say that the previous owner was paid to store it here by a D.C. Silverman who left it here in 1953, claiming it would be picked up soon, but oddly left a retainer 'just in case'. The box was still paid for, and took up so little room they didn't think about it much. The previous owner of the warehouse is named Martin Manning. Martin is in a retirement home in Arizona now. If contacted, Martin's memory seems fuzzy due to age and medical troubles, but might be able to recall that 'D.C. Silverman was a woman' though he's not sure she used her real name. She paid in cash.

Silverbolt would give them to his girlfriend.

(10 character points to buy off dnpc, 15 for follower.)

Nightingale:

Str 10

Dex 11

Con 15

Body 10

Int 10

Ego11

Pre 10

Com 12

pd2

Ed 2

Spd 4

rec10

end30

stun 30

Magic Fishnets:

10d6 eb, iif

martial arts- classic comic book, iif

punch- 6d6

kick 8d6

throw 4d6, opt falls

block

dodge

+1 w/ ranged combat iif

+1 w/hth combat, iif

9pd/ed armor, hardened iif, nonpersistant, luck based

Distracting costume, or lack thereoff

+10 pre, offensive only, only vs people of appropriate orientation, oif (pvc halter and hotpants)

change environment- 2 ocv, 1" radius, oif

Deduction- 11

seduction-11

ps- admin -11

ps private investigator -8

ps vigilante-8

KS- underground sex world-11

KS- cyber culture -11

Disadvantages:

Hunted- silverbolts enemies- 8

Psych lim- Cyber fetishist, uncommon, strong

social limitation-secret ID-8

Social limitation- secret (filthy pervert, embaressment/ostracism if revealed- 8)

Distinctive features: wears fishnets at all times, Concealable with effor, noticed and recognised.

Actually, I was only half-snarky there. I'm trying to cobble stuff together for a maritime setting, circa 1250 AD North Sea type tech, and so "Magic Fishnets" of the fish-catching sort was exactly something I was hoping to come across today.

Actually' date=' I was only half-snarky there. I'm trying to cobble stuff together for a maritime setting, circa 1250 AD North Sea type tech, and so "Magic Fishnets" of the fish-catching sort was [i']exactly[/i] something I was hoping to come across today.

Ah, sorry to disappoint

More a Black Canary with a mystical riff thing here.

Pyrie's costume is a full bodysuit, so they wouldn't affect her at all. Though if she happened to try them on with appropriate civilian garb (and if they didn't catch fire/melt from her superhuman body temperature) she might well modify her fighting gear to allow for the newfound abilities.

My male heroes probably have no interest in putting them on. None of my female heroes are martial artists of any sort, but only one might actually put them on.

$64 Question: Can they be taken off?

Absolutely. The benefits immediately fade once that's done, and come back when they're put back on.

Volt would not do anything with them except hold them for someone who might use them. He would investigate though, as would all my heroes.

Olorin - well, Olorin is strange. He (yes, he) might just wear them, but probably only once as a joke. He would not care what people in general think, and his friends would be thinking "Oh, that's just Olorin." Would then hold them for someone else.

BLack Tiger would not use them or even give them to someone. To him, such skill must be earned, not given like this.

Futurian. Uh... He might wear them too. And more than once. Would probably tire of them after a week. "Too uncomfortable to wear." Then he would probably forget he had them.

Black Cat in fishnets with an extra 2 DC, 20 pts of Martial manuevers and 10 more pts in CSL plus some extra Combat Luck.

She would probably wear them on a lark for a while, and then find some deserving up and coming martial artists who's current taste in costumery would fit with wearing the things, and give them to her.

Angelfire wouldn't bother, although the look would fit her.

Sift a magical based super with martial arts stuff probably would wear them, and change her costume around. She wears a full body suit, but the leggings are skin tight, so it really isn't all that different in her mind. And she could use the powerboost. :) Hmmmm... maybe with some experience.....

Meeb... don't be silly.

No none of my male characters would wear them. :)

Silverbolt would give them to his girlfriend.

(10 character points to buy off dnpc, 15 for follower.)

Nightingale:

Str 10

Dex 11

Con 15

Body 10

Int 10

Ego11

Pre 10

Com 12

pd2

Ed 2

Spd 4

rec10

end30

stun 30

Magic Fishnets:

10d6 eb, iif

martial arts- classic comic book, iif

punch- 6d6

kick 8d6

throw 4d6, opt falls

block

dodge

+1 w/ ranged combat iif

+1 w/hth combat, iif

9pd/ed armor, hardened iif, nonpersistant, luck based

Distracting costume, or lack thereoff

+10 pre, offensive only, only vs people of appropriate orientation, oif (pvc halter and hotpants)

change environment- 2 ocv, 1" radius, oif

Deduction- 11

seduction-11

ps- admin -11

ps private investigator -8

ps vigilante-8

KS- underground sex world-11

KS- cyber culture -11

Disadvantages:

Hunted- silverbolts enemies- 8

Psych lim- Cyber fetishist, uncommon, strong

social limitation-secret ID-8

Social limitation- secret (filthy pervert, embaressment/ostracism if revealed- 8)

Distinctive features: wears fishnets at all times, Concealable with effor, noticed and recognised.

I must rep you for both this noble(?) attempt, and the V from OotS quote in your sig :)

BLack Tiger would not use them or even give them to someone. To him, such skill must be earned, not given like this.

Now there's an interesting take on it, but I can totally see it. I imagine many true martial artists would consider it a 'cheat'

Zl'f doesn't have qualms about showing her legs - she was an Olympic gymnast and her superhero costume has a miniskirt - but she'd be leery of becoming dependent on the extra power granted by the fishnets. She might wear them if she knows she's going into a "save the world" battle for the extra capabilities; but there's no way she'd use them regularly.

Meta-game/campaign-wise, she'd find a way to lose/get rid of them because they would make her much too powerful for her concept. Offhand, I'd probably have her give them to a worthy but less powerful heroine on the basis that two superheroines are better than one.

Raoul would wear them occasionally - but he's, well, (trying to find a good way to say this...) 'highly experienced and willing to expirement with anyone.':eek:

But he's not exactly a superhero - he's a character from a Space Heros game (moderately derived from a novel).

For that matter, I was in a Dark Jedi game for a while with 'Bunny' who would definitely wear them. He was a gay dark jedi in black leather with a hot pink lightsaber... :nonp:

and a neural whip. :help:

Vitus.... no. just no. Fishnets don't work with furry legs.

Besides, first he'd have to finish exterminating the cultists.

Nor would he pass it on to Jasmine, despite the fact that his former concubine is a martial artist and would happily add them to her wardrobe. He still hates her that much. He might consider passing them on to Felicity, is she hasn't insulted his skills in the class on magic he teaches, but only after he's examined the enchantment for ways to reproduce the effect on something he WILL wear.

Alternatively, pass them on to Mrs Rosenbaum - she might be a 50 yr-old Italian matron, but she has plenty of younger relatives who might think they're cool. That, or sell them to VIPER.

Zero... also no. He causes enough false positives on gaydar as it is.

The Spectre: Would probably give them to Jasmine. She's already been expressing some frustration with her limited ability to contribute to many super-battles. Still, any time she trips someone, the team tends to pound them HARD. He would then try to find out what happened to original Nightingale. "We old timers need to stick together" mentality and all that.

For that matter, I was in a Dark Jedi game for a while with 'Bunny' who would definitely wear them. He was a gay dark jedi in black leather with a hot pink lightsaber... :nonp:

and a neural whip. :help:

And here's me looking for an original force based villain for the Saga game I'm planning on running...:sneaky: